The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion

5 posters

Go down

Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion Empty Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

http://rjrnewsonline.com/sports/exclusive-simmons-asked-to-stand-down-as-windies-coach

What a shambles West Indies cricket has become
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion Empty Re: Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

Quite honestly I'm at the point where I'd rather see teams like Ireland or Afghanistan given full member status over West Indies.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion Empty Re: Phil Simmons asked to stand down as Windies coach for having an accurate opinion

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:07 pm

i have stated before umpteen times.....
WI are not a nation..and have no "national feeling".....the politics, frictions , fights and bickering between independent nations override team interest....

They have to break down into and compete in ICC tournament as independent nations and I am sure...one or two of them will emerge stronger than BD and Zim and may get full test status.

That is the inevitable end of WI and the faster it happens the better for the game

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

Well, West Indies cricket has become a total joke. If they can't get it to function, then it is better to go their separate way, the present situation is just untenable and there is no point in delaying the obvious.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:36 am

KP_fan wrote:i have stated before umpteen times.....
WI are not a nation..and have no "national feeling".....the politics, frictions , fights and bickering between independent nations override team interest....

They have to break down into and compete in ICC tournament as independent nations and I am sure...one or two of them will emerge stronger than BD and Zim and may get full test status.

That is the inevitable end of WI and the faster it happens the better for the game

KP_f, there's no dispute from me that West Indies cricket is in a shambolic state. However, hasn't the highlighted part of your post always been the case? In the '70s and '80's, Clive Lloyd did far more than hand the ball to four fast bowlers each match - he united differing factions and individuals and helped create the greatest team of that and arguably any era. Thus, whilst the future looks far from bright, I'm not sure it has to be as inevitable as you state.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

That was in the past..... they were as United as they were and hence a riveted world beating  unit .....wasn't the norm but an inexplicable, miraculous exception.

Breaking news......any one surprised ?

"Bangladesh have sealed a berth in ICC Champions Trophy for the first time since 2006. The teams which sealed the top 8 slots on the ICC one-day international rankings on the 30 September 2015 cut-off date were confirmed for the 2017 tournament."

Bangladesh has replaced the West Indies, which finished outside the top eight in ninth position, according to ICC media release.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Sep 2015, 1:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:That was in the past..... they were as United as they were and hence a riveted world beating  unit .....wasn't the norm but an inexplicable, miraculous exception.

Breaking news......any one surprised ?

"Bangladesh have sealed a berth in ICC Champions Trophy for the first time since 2006. The teams which sealed the top 8 slots on the ICC one-day international rankings on the 30 September 2015 cut-off date were confirmed for the 2017 tournament."

Bangladesh has replaced the West Indies, which finished outside the top eight in ninth position, according to ICC media release.

KP_f, I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a ''miraculous exception'' but it was certainly a might fine achievement by Lloyd to bring unity to such a disparate group and one which is often overlooked when the achievements of that side are discussed.

The West Indies definitely and to a large extent deservedly find themselves in a very poor and dismal situation today. All the more sad for someone like me who watched, enjoyed and marvelled at their past triumphs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sat 03 Oct 2015, 11:09 am

I would say that the success of the Clive Lloyd era was built around a fan-base that remembered the Federation experiment...as the countries were seeking independence, leaders of Caribbean nations tried to forge a West Indies Federation in the early 1960s. That foundered on national interests, and the individual countries went their own way. But a lot of people who grew up in the 1960s remembered with nostalgia the Federation, and the West Indies was a vestige of that dream.

Now, we have a new generation of Caribbean people for whom the Federation is a footnote in the history books. Young people are more interested in how their team will fare in the CPL T20 competition, than in the fortunes of the West Indies.

I agree with KP fan...the WICB shoudl be disbanded, and the individual countries should go it alone in the ICC.
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down