The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history?

+12
majesticimperialman
Notch
doctor_grey
SecretFly
mikey_dragon
kingraf
Bathman_in_London
Sin é
Biltong
Mr Fishpaste
InjuredYetAgain
fa0019
16 posters

Go down

Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history? Empty Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history?

Post by fa0019 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:04 pm

So Jean De Villiers almost certainly played his final game for the boks after 109 caps over 13 years. However whilst the boks have played 19 matches in the RWC thus far in that period 2002-2015, Jean has only managed 6 whilst almost being first choice for all... and the boks will play at least 2 more games before the close of the tournament at possibly 5 more.

Jean was set to tour at a min after debuting in 2002.

Played a single game before getting injured.

Managed 3 games before getting injured.

Managed only 2 further.

Has their ever been another player with such as record? Dan Carter was injured in 2011 yes but was fit for all of 2003, all of 2007 and thus far.

In the end he got over 100 caps, won a world cup, a lions series, 2 3N tournaments, scored 27 tries, captained the boks so its not like he hasn't achieved anything yet its a terrible record nonetheless.

Lets pray Meyer doesn't throw the armband to his bru. I'd probably throw it to Schalk.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history? Empty Re: Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:16 pm

Possibly but I lost any respect for him when he became captain and consistently nipped the ref's ear, complaining non-stop about everything under the sun. It looked like he had been coached by Alex Ferguson.
God help his state of mind if his jaws have to be wired shut.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history? Empty Re: Is Jean De Villiers the unluckiest test player in RWC history?

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:23 pm

Injured Yet Again...quite a fitting name for a person commenting on this post...

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:26 pm

Yes,the irony didn't escape me Smile

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:39 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Possibly but I lost any respect for him when he became captain and consistently nipped the ref's ear, complaining non-stop about everything under the sun. It looked like he had been coached by Alex Ferguson.

You must therefore hate

Richie McCaw
George Gregan
John Smit
Martin Johnson
Sam Warburton
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell

with a passion then.

He's a top pro in reality. You should see the way he talks post match, his respect for the opposition is well known and quite often he's surprised opposite numbers with congratulatory mementos for achievements such as 100 caps etc both in test and domestic rugby once the matches are over.

Can't remember ever hearing him brag either. I recall in 2012 when England sent Tuilagi down him channel for 3 games straight.... he was smashed but never missed a tackle and ended up scoring on tuilagi in the end.... come the post match interview he never took a swipe.

Proper gent and the game will be lesser for it.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Possibly but I lost any respect for him when he became captain and consistently nipped the ref's ear, complaining non-stop about everything under the sun. It looked like he had been coached by Alex Ferguson.

It doesn't take much for you to lose respect for someone, eh?

I am sure his heart will be broken because of it Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm

No, I can't say that I feel the same way about any of them. De Villiers never shuts up.
Most scrum-half's (is that the plural of scrum half?) fall into the same category. At the risk of sounding like Nigel Owen, if you want to moan about every decision that goes against you, go and play socccerball.
At the risk of lapsing into management-speak, you pick your battles. If you complain about everything, you will eventually just be ignored.
It wouldn't surprise me if JDV lost a toss but still asked for it to be referred to the TMO.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

Biltong wrote:

It doesn't take much for you to lose respect for someone, eh?

I am sure his heart will be broken because of it Doh
Sorry Biltong but he is just one of the few guys currently playing who I dislike

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

Gutted for him. A real gent.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

Personally I really like JDV as a captain, whether he is the best in his position is another matter. I think he speaks well to referees, you rarely see them getting annoyed with him.

From what I have heard he is a really nice bloke too, it's a shame his career may have ended like this.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

I can't remember a referee ever tuning out JdV. Either passively or otherwise. Think a lot of it has to do with HOW he picks his battles. Less the demanding brat, more the slightly annoying kid trying to make sure he understands the homework by double checking with the teacher every single time
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm

Feel for JDV, he's a quality player and very proud Bok.

I'm sure there are players who have been worse off with injuries. Cory Allen and Eli Walker of Wales have been walking injuries for the majority of their professional careers.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

He's looked drawn and a bit older than his 34 years (?) in recent times.  I just remember looking at him recently and noting how thin his neck was.  You'd expect more bulk and muscle definition for a player playing at the highest level in International rugby.  His bone density is probably just beginning to dip and his body obviously just can't handle the impacts anymore.

Seems a really nice man.  Hope that after a few days of sadness that it had to happen at this point in time, he's okay with his decision and moves on to the easier life of chatting in front of the camera for a living.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:He's looked drawn and a bit older than his 34 years (?) in recent times.  I just remember looking at him recently and noting how thin his neck was.  You'd expect more bulk and muscle definition for a player playing at the highest level in International rugby.  His bone density is probably just beginning to dip and his body obviously just can't handle the impacts anymore.

Seems a really nice man.  Hope that after a few days of sadness that it had to happen at this point in time, he's okay with his decision and moves on to the easier life of chatting in front of the camera for a living.
Agree completely, and very well said. JDV has had over 100 caps, remarkable in any era. As Fly says he seems a genuine and proper gent in addition to being a very good player. We all know that in professional sport as well as other facets of life, it is often the mileage and not the years which add up more quickly. Good luck to him.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:58 pm

It's a shame that his glittering career ends with an injury- at least the Japan game wasn't his final outing, his swan song came in a game where the Boks were dominant!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:00 pm

True. It'll make the memory of the end happier. And that would have been a wonderful try!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 27 Sep 2015, 11:34 pm

Well it is over now, I respect him as a player and a leader, but I don't believe he should have played in this world cup, he should have made the decision himself not to go.

Sadly for him the decision has now been taken out of his hands as fate decided for him.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:12 am

Just read that he is to retire from international rugby. It is a shame, i think when he plays SA play a better type of rugby.

Best of luck to him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:48 am

Great player and superb ambassador for the game - very sad for him to go out this way.

At least he went out leading his team to victory.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:39 am

Feel sorry for JdV. He is a good guy and doesnt deserve it at all. Sorry to see him miss out.

However, I feel SA may benefit from it as I dont think his form was great.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:06 am

He epitomises SA rugby to me, tough as nails on the field but an absolute gentleman off it. Humility is breed into SA rugby players. That's why the ABs have a good rapport with them. They let the rugby do the talking. Playing this RWC was perhaps a bridge too far given his injury but worth a crack. So who's going to be the captain and will that person play the full 80?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:34 am

Vic will be the captain, he is so far up Meyer's backside the water on his knee is quenching Meyer's thirst.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:47 am

Biltong wrote:Vic will be the captain, he is so far up Meyer's backside the water on his knee is quenching Meyer's thirst.

That's a pretty long way Bil, He is over two metres tall, so his knees must be 1.40m from the top of his head! Heyneck Meyer is not that tall mate...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:50 am

Its a real shame that we have not seen a player of the quality of De Villiers as much at the RWC's as his talent deserves. Quality player and one that I have always admired.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:52 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Biltong wrote:Vic will be the captain, he is so far up Meyer's backside the water on his knee is quenching Meyer's thirst.

That's a pretty long way Bil, He is over two metres tall, so his knees must be 1.40m from the top of his head! Heyneck Meyer is not that tall mate...

He is in the fetal position mate Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Sep 2015, 6:09 am

Matfield isn't an 80 min player is he. That's risky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down