The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep?

+7
banbrotam
barrystar
temporary21
ZZ
Henman Bill
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
11 posters

Go down

US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep? Empty US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep?

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Order of Play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep? Empty Re: US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep?

Post by bogbrush Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 pm

would "da Vinci" have worked even better? Or a mention of getting over "pa netta"?

Humble suggestions, that's a doozy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep? Empty Re: US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep?

Post by Henman Bill Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:47 pm

I think this is a great line, and really they've all been good.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Actually there were one or two (I forget which ones, or who from) that I could not make head nor tail of, but maybe that's just me This one's pretty clear anyway

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Just saw this cancellation notice posted on the other thread. To update with more details.

short version: women's matches at 11am (4pm UK), men's at 3pm (8pm UK) correction: 5pm/10pm

As of Thursday, Sept. 10, at 3:15 p.m. ET

Women’s Semifinals (Session 21)
The current weather forecast calls for rain throughout the evening, and as a result, the women’s semifinals, Session 21, will be rescheduled for tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 11, with play beginning at 11 a.m. ET. Gates will open at 10 a.m. ET.

Men’s Semifinals (Session 22)
The men’s semifinals will move from a start time of 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. ET on Friday, Sept. 11. Session 22 ticketholders will have access to the grounds beginning at 10 a.m. ET and entry to Arthur Ashe Stadium following the women’s semifinals.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/weather.html

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/schedule18.html

Djokovic/Cilic is on first, so Stan-Rog is a late one.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 pm

It says mens semis will start at 5pm. If the women play long matches and theres a little rain the second semi might hav to wait till saturday

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:43 pm

They must be pretty confident of the accuracy of their forecasting. I suppose it helps to have satellite remote sensing and a network of precipitation monitoring radar stations.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Cheers hb, for the UK bods that means a 4 pm start (bst) for the womens and the mens beginning about 8pm at best

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 pm

To round up he days play, Murray and Peers save a match point to reach the final, where they play our old friend Mahut and Herbert. Both deserve the success.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Shambolic.  They have had a full doubles programme today on Louis Armstrong (well done Jamie Murray by the way on reaching the final), but Arthur Ashe has been empty all day waiting for the evening matches.

If they do that it's obvious that they cannot re-schedule the womens' SF's for Arthur Ashe in the day time because they will have an empty 21,000-seater stadium.

They ought to have kept flexibility by scheduling matches for Ashe in the day time so they could have moved players around - but of course that might have gotten in the way of making a killing or they might have had a half empty Arthur Ashe for the doubles.  

Having had a relatively sensible schedule for the first time in more than 30 years it's ironic that their stupid greed for TV money has put it in jeopardy at the business end as ever.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:38 am

I must admit, out of all of the slams (and I find the Aus or is the French confusing when they play the mes semi's on different days) this is by far the worst

I did used to love 'Super Saturday' but as soon as the conditions were slowed down, it should have been stopped

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 am

temporary21 wrote:Cheers hb, for the UK bods that means a 4 pm start (bst) for the womens and the mens beginning about 8pm at best
Mens scheduled start is 5pm local time, which is 10pm UK time.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 am

HM Murdock wrote:
temporary21 wrote:Cheers hb, for the UK bods that means a 4 pm start (bst) for the womens and the mens beginning about 8pm at best
Mens scheduled start is 5pm local time, which is 10pm UK time.

Great timing. I'll have just have finished the father in laws fantastic fish and chips. The missus will have run out of things to chirp about (or will be on the phone chirping to one of her mates Smile ) Get the wine out and it'll be as good a Friday night I used to have with the lads 20 years ago Erm

Looking forward to these semi's!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Williams gasping big time.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 pm

Come on Vinci!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:58 pm

VIIINCII! slice and dice! and a new gs winner for a while!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Just WOW!!!!!!!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Vinci is shaking in tears. Wow...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:00 pm

More than that, serving for the match, she held to love, what nerve

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 pm

What a win for Vinci! Absolutely great play. clap clap

Two Italians in the final, too! Very US Open Day 11 - Can Williams unlock the Vinci code, or will she need some Halep? 3845856932

I hope she wins the trophy. :good luck:

Graf's 22 looks to be safe for a bit. CYGS denied too.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Unbelievable stuff! Greatest upset of the open era?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Of the women's yeah

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 pm

A victory for brainy tennis.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Sweena defeated by a 32 year old doubles player who in her long career has only three times got beyond the fourth round of a grand slam singles tournament and only six times past the third round.  This is the first time she has got past the quarter-final.

In this tournament she face no seeded players to get to the semi-final.  She had a walk-over in the fourth round with the withdrawal of Bouchard.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Women's final tickets have already sold out.  I wonder if the final will still be packed Very Happy

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 pm

temporary21 wrote:Women's final tickets have already sold out.  I wonder if the final will still be packed Very Happy
U.S. TV are already looking to get some re-runs of Seinfeld & Friends ready.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Roberta Vinci (ranked 43) Route to the Final
Round 1:  Opponent ranked 414 (V King)
Round 2:  Opponent ranked 77 (D Allertova)
Round 3:  Opponent ranked 97 (Mariana Duque-Mariño)
Round 4:  Walk-over
QuarterF: Opponent ranked 40 (Kristina Mladenovic)
Semi Fin: Opponent ranked 1 (Serena Williams)

Her final opponent is ranked 26.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 pm

What a victory for Vinci. Gives me hope that the slice can be utilised in such a way and come out victorious.

Kudos to Penetta who dominated Halep!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Previous Head To Head Serena Williams vs Roberta Vinci
2009 WIMBLEDON R32: 6-3 6-4 Williams
2012 MIAMI HC R32: 6-2 6-1 Williams
2013 FRENCH OPEN R16: 6-1 6-3 Williams
2015 TORONTO HC: 6-4 6-3 Williams

Williams does wobble from time to time - she should have lost to Heather Watson at Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks Nore Staat. So this CYGS business - never as easy as it looks hey Rod and Steffi? A point lost by Serena in the great GOAT game.

Where's the men's thread, don't tell me I'm going to have to do it and think of the pun.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Looks loike Serena finished an hour ago juding by comments on here and yet no men's match in the live scores, I suppose they need longer with 2 separate tickets and all that, but still. Are the players on court yet?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Not until 10 pm.  Soo about 49 minutes. Because reasons

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Ticket prices for the Women's final cut by nearly $800 on tiqIQ
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Oh, I get it I thought it was startingn at 8pm UK as I said above, but I made a mistake. So they are just sticking with the scheudle. Well that's OK, I am going out for dinner and gives me a better chance of catching the second match.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I'd pay more for a final without williams, it would have been more one sided. the danger now is that vinci doesn't show up, but we'll see. i see that prior to thiis year vinci only reached qf at us open, and r4 at other slams, and for the rest of this year and the previous year a 3r defeat was her best showing in any slam.

just checking vinci needed 3 sets in r2 and also inn r3 to beat the 77 and 97 ranked players mentioned (albeit with an easy final set)

at least viewing figures will be up this year in Italy!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:41 pm

penetta's record is a bit better than vinci, one slam sf and a handful of quarters, but not as goood as I thought.

well they are both ranked in their 30s (32 and 33) so this is clearly a one time deal for both of them.

huge match. the mentally strong player wins it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:12 pm

Surely we all picked Pennetta v Vinci as the ladies final? Obvious wasn't it?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down