The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A shameful time to be British

+16
Hero
navyblueshorts
Duty281
ShahenshahG
JuliusHMarx
Lowlandbrit
Adam D
rIck_dAgless
seanmichaels
Dolphin Ziggler
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
McLaren
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A shameful time to be British - Page 3 Empty A shameful time to be British

Post by McLaren Wed 2 Sep 2015 - 13:03

First topic message reminder :

Our attitude to refugees is appalling and event the Americans have noticed.  A WSJ article;

"Britain takes in so few refugees from Syria they would fit on a subway train"

We should be out on the streets in our millions demanding that the government does the humane thing and helps the refugees that we helped to create.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

A shameful time to be British - Page 3 Empty Re: A shameful time to be British

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 2 Sep 2015 - 17:47

Re. the OP - no, it's not a shameful time to be British.

For me, I think we could (and should) take some actual refugees - i.e. those genuinely being persecuted/blown up etc. How many is something someone needs to sort out soon.
We should take precisely zero economic migrants as part of this current chaos, all of whom can pretty much p!ss off.

As an aside, I'm thoroughly fed up with the fact that for ages, the Dublin Accord rules were conveniently ignored by all and sundry because economic migrants wanted to leave their country of original landfall and end up in the U.K., Germany etc. Now Italy, Greece, France etc are getting shedloads, they're jumping up and down about it. Annoying.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 2 Sep 2015 - 19:36

Suppose this doesn't merit empathy?    

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/02/shocking-image-of-drowned-syrian-boy-shows-tragic-plight-of-refugees?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 7:35

Look I can half see where you're coming from Super but if a kid is stupid enough to be born in the wrong part of the world that is hardly our fault.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 7:46

11,000 Icelanders have put forward their names to house Syrian refugees as the Icelandic Government only allow 50 refugees a year entry.

My question to those on here calling for us to take the refugees (or migrants as some seem insistent on referring to them as) in, would you be willing to house one?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 7:58

Have already put forward my name Hero. Not in my own house because there's no room but I have offered another property which has just been half vacated by Oz bound tenants. The rest of their family is due out on the 6th of October. I'm willing to waive rent/subsidy from the government until they've settled/found employment.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 8:16

I'm really quite against this "will you house one?" question. I don't think it's morally wrong to worry about strangers in your own home. I give money to charities aiding homeless people, but I've never offered one use of my shower and a place to kip. Considering the vast amounts of money available to governments, their dealings with businesses that are no doubt very mutually beneficial and their power, which surprisingly they have a lot more of than the average family, then I don't think it's ridiculous to ask them to do more. 

Bob Geldof made any noise yet? This is the kind of thing he loves isn't it? Drum up some money from a single can't he? A new version of Sending our Love Down the Well would probably sell loads.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 8:37

Hero wrote:

My question to those on here calling for us to take the refugees (or migrants as some seem insistent on referring to them as) in, would you be willing to house one?

I'd take one of those blonde haired arab types. They are quite fit and I'd expect they do a good tagine.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 8:39

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Bob Geldof made any noise yet? This is the kind of thing he loves isn't it? Drum up some money from a single can't he? A new version of Sending our Love Down the Well would probably sell loads.

Could get One Direction to do a cover of White Cliffs of Dover?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 8:49

sean wrote:Could get One Direction to do a cover of White Cliffs of Dover?

Could be tricky now Zayn Malik is not there

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:02

rick_dagless wrote:
sean wrote:Could get One Direction to do a cover of White Cliffs of Dover?

Could be tricky now Zayn Malik is not there

Put Dinamo in there in his place.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:08

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I'm really quite against this "will you house one?" question. I don't think it's morally wrong to worry about strangers in your own home. I give money to charities aiding homeless people, but I've never offered one use of my shower and a place to kip. Considering the vast amounts of money available to governments, their dealings with businesses that are no doubt very mutually beneficial and their power, which surprisingly they have a lot more of than the average family, then I don't think it's ridiculous to ask them to do more. 

Aye fair point if you can offer a place please do so but if you can't it doesn't mean that your opinion is less valid. Especially since the government were quite happy using our money to arm ISIS. They can use our money for dealing with the consequences.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:13

seanmichaels wrote:
Hero wrote:

I'd take one of those blonde haired arab types. They are quite fit and I'd expect they do a good tagine.

Suddenly the threat of being shot at home does not seem all that bad.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:28

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Hero wrote:

Suddenly the threat of being shot at home does not seem all that bad.

Sean making friends everywhere he goes lately. Be funny to see if Sean keeps on moaning about getting rejected by landlords.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:29

How about hiring out Centre Parcs for the refugees for a couple of months?

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:42

ShahenshahG wrote:

Sean making friends everywhere he goes lately. Be funny to see if Sean keeps on moaning about getting rejected by landlords.

This is it. If I get one, the landlord will look more favourably to my predicament. I pay half and the landlord waives the other half. Almost as good an idea as the idea I had to borrow my mates baby on a Tesco trip - 'yes, her mother left us and hooked up with her crack dealer, we manage though'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:43

Dr Shoe wrote:How about hiring out Centre Parcs for the refugees for a couple of months?

I think they'd take some convincing to get back together for centre parks.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:48

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I'm really quite against this "will you house one?" question. I don't think it's morally wrong to worry about strangers in your own home. I give money to charities aiding homeless people, but I've never offered one use of my shower and a place to kip. Considering the vast amounts of money available to governments, their dealings with businesses that are no doubt very mutually beneficial and their power, which surprisingly they have a lot more of than the average family, then I don't think it's ridiculous to ask them to do more. 

I don't think it's a question that can't be asked, the Godwin Law card has already been played so I'm okay to put it forward but during the 2nd World War there was obviously the mass evacuation of children from the cities to the countryside, if families were willing and had room they'd take a child in.
When I was younger and after my gran died I lived in her house for a number of years, there was spare room there and I knew of someone who wasn't a friend but was being made homeless, I let him stay in a room for a few months until he got himself back on his feet. If temporary accommodation was required for kids in this country fleeing the conflict then I'd certainly add my name to the list.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:57

Think its been asked mostly as a criticism generally hero so it was taken as the same but yeah I'd make room for some children should it come to that.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:00

Very noble.

Joking and left / right wing stances aside, I was listening to the wireless this morning and it appears at least half of those at the station in Hungary are Albanian. Are they classed as refugees?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:04

Hero wrote:

I don't think it's a question that can't be asked, the Godwin Law card has already been played so I'm okay to put it forward but during the 2nd World War there was obviously the mass evacuation of children from the cities to the countryside, if families were willing and had room they'd take a child in.
When I was younger and after my gran died I lived in her house for a number of years, there was spare room there and I knew of someone who wasn't a friend but was being made homeless, I let him stay in a room for a few months until he got himself back on his feet. If temporary accommodation was required for kids in this country fleeing the conflict then I'd certainly add my name to the list.

The way nations pull together in war time is very applaudable...

Bit of a difference however making sacrifices in war.......Than bailing incompetent politicians that can't control immigration....

Won't be giving our spare bedroom up to anybody anytime soon ....unless it's a refugee that looks like Meg Ryan..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:09

Father in law's spare room.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:25

Hero wrote:

For a child I would certainly reconsider any stance. Although I do wonder how a normal family or person copes when they than have to go to work.

There are countless community centres and religious buildings here that could offer shelter too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:28

I presume it would just be similar to fostering a child, that they'd go to the same school as their children go to etc.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:34

Hero wrote:I presume it would just be similar to fostering a child, that they'd go to the same school as their children go to etc.

Problem is it will be mainly affluent families that can afford to do this........Mainly Tory supporters who hate the EU and hate immigrants...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:36

If I had somewhere to live and a partner I'd foster a child. Always wanted a brown baby who'd grow up and open the bowling for Yorkshire and England but she wouldn't have any of it.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:36

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Hero wrote:I presume it would just be similar to fostering a child, that they'd go to the same school as their children go to etc.

Problem is it will be mainly affluent families that can afford to do this........Mainly Tory supporters who hate the EU and hate immigrants...

A shameful time to be British - Page 3 Make-sweeping-statement-you-cant-support-insult-anyone-who-disagrees-thumb

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:38

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Funny you should say that. I went to a fairly exclusive school between the age of 7-13 (Old man taught there). I remember 3 parents adopting Romanian kids when it all kicked off out there and they found those orphanages. I don't know how they voted but they would have been affluent.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:39

Madonna and Angelina Jolie will know doubt take their fair share.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:48

I live in a three bedroom house and have two kids, I've a spare room simply because my two boys want to share a bedroom rather than have their own, I don't consider myself to be affluent nor do I vote Tory.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:51

Hero wrote:I live in a three bedroom house and have two kids, I've a spare room simply because my two boys want to share a bedroom rather than have their own, I don't consider myself to be affluent nor do I vote Tory.

I said mainly....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 11:38

Britain should be ashamed. They have an obligation to help. They got involved in an immoral war which has resulted in this horror for the last 18 years.

We can't hide away as its convieniant and the US has to answer some day for their crimes in this world and they will. People are suffering YOU'RE people YOU'RE people get it HELP THEM.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 11:53

Usual USA rant... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 11:58

ShahenshahG wrote:Have already put forward my name Hero. Not in my own house because there's no room but I have offered another property which has just been half vacated by Oz bound tenants. The rest of their family is due out on the 6th of October. I'm willing to waive rent/subsidy from the government until they've settled/found employment.

What's the Yom Kippur War got to do with it....... to do with it?

What's love?   .... but a refugee emotion.

Heard of this place, shah? Didn't you mention you studied there once?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_of_October_City

Egypt seems like the perfect solution to offer some assistance to these poor people.
However, like Australia it probably fails The 20% Sand Rule.

Double Bugger!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:03

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Britain should be ashamed. They have an obligation to help. They got involved in an immoral war which has resulted in this horror for the last 18 years.

We can't hide away as its convieniant and the US has to answer some day for their crimes in this world and they will. People are suffering YOU'RE people YOU'RE people get it HELP THEM.

I am fairly sure that you are using the wrong "you're" there.

Undeniably, I am people. "You are people get it".

What in the blue meanie are you on about?

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:14

There people, their people, they're people!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:15

ShahenshahG wrote:Have already put forward my name Hero. Not in my own house because there's no room but I have offered another property which has just been half vacated by Oz bound tenants. The rest of their family is due out on the 6th of October. I'm willing to waive rent/subsidy from the government until they've settled/found employment.

What if they are Sub Saharan African Shah?

will you still except them????

Did'nt think so.

You see I feel sorry for these people. Their lives have been wrecked by war and they are innocent. Saying that they have a culture that looks down on black people who are the lowest of the low. Go anywhere in the middle east like Lebanon, Libya, Syria, the UAE as a black person and you will expearience a racism worst then the deep south in the US.

I hate arab racism more then any other so my heart has been hardened towards the plight of these immigrants. Still they need help but lets not forget the number of Black Africans who have drowned trying to leave yet no major backlash.....until a little white Syrian washes up on the shore.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:18

Hero wrote:There people, their people, they're people!

Your making a big mistake, can't you see the error of you're ways! Wink

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:18

Think he's saying the US, Britain and parts of Benelux are responsible for this mess.

Personally, I believe the West needs to bang their heads together more closely and try and come up with a brave and bold new plan.
Maybe someone should crowdfund such an endeavour? It could be fun.

Phuck Bob Geldof. He's so old hat.... not to mention a c*nt.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:20

TLD wrote:Phuck Bob Geldof. He's so old hat.

And he is Irish, we don't want his type coming over doing good.

It is like that bloody Foreigner, coming over here demanding to know what love is....

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:27

rick_dagless wrote:

It is like that bloody Foreigner, coming over here demanding to know what love is....

The solution is clearly gonna take a little time.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:40

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Usual USA rant... :roll:

Why are you so pro USA. You always seem to defend criticism of mercans or the nation.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:40

I sometimes forget how old some of you lot are. I've thrown in some very good Simpsons references recently and not even a chuckle has been thrown my way. And these are good references, not my usual trollop.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:41

Rowley wrote:
rick_dagless wrote:

The solution is clearly gonna take a little time.

Yeah, that's more of a pity when you consider that unfortunately we can't turn back time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:41

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Did'nt think so.

You see I feel sorry for these people. Their lives have been wrecked by war and they are innocent. Saying that they have a culture that looks down on black people who are the lowest of the low. Go anywhere in the middle east like Lebanon, Libya, Syria, the UAE as a black person and you will expearience a racism worst then the deep south in the US.

I hate arab racism more then any other so my heart has been hardened towards the plight of these immigrants. Still they need help but lets not forget the number of Black Africans who have drowned trying to leave yet no major backlash.....until a little white Syrian washes up on the shore.

No I won't except them. I will accept them however.

If they're black you mean? I didn't specify a colour nor did I specify a race or religion. It's open to any refugee as my parents opened our house to the Somalians when I was still in school and my grandparents opened their house to the Zimbabweans and Kosovans. And if Jews find them selves persecuted like before again I'll take as much as I can fit without jeopardising the health of the ones already there. As for my sympathy only being aroused by a little white Syrian washing up on the shore. I know it may come as a shock to you but I can have sympathy or donate money or time or any other way to help without stating it in this forum and making you aware of it.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:50

ShahenshahG wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Did'nt think so.

If they're black you mean? I didn't specify a colour nor did I specify a race or religion. It's open to any refugee as my parents opened our house to the Somalians when I was still in school and my grandparents opened their house to the Zimbabweans and Kosovans. And if Jews find them selves persecuted like before again I'll take as much as I can fit without jeopardising the health of the ones already there. As for my sympathy only being aroused by a little white Syrian washing up on the shore. I know it may come as a shock to you but I can have sympathy or donate money or time or any other way to help without stating it in this forum and making you aware of it.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:53

The only people Shah takes in never come out alive.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:53

ShahenshahG wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Did'nt think so.

Thats good to hear. I think we should all see each other beyond race or religion if people are in need of help and if you give charity I believe it SHOULD be done secretly and that is a good thing.

BTW the Jews will be persecuted till the end of time I presume you are talking about the Jew-ish people?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:54

ShahenshahG wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Did'nt think so.

Thats good to hear. I think we should all see each other beyond race or religion if people are in need of help and if you give charity I believe it SHOULD be done secretly and that is a good thing.

BTW the Jews will be persecuted till the end of time I presume you are talking about the Jew-ish people?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 12:57

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Thats good to hear. I think we should all see each other beyond race or religion

This coming from the man who raises to topic more than the rest of the forum put together.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 13:01

Rowley wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Thats good to hear. I think we should all see each other beyond race or religion

This coming from the man who raises to topic more than the rest of the forum put together.

You beat me to it..... Wink

Coming soon......Peter Sutcliffe says "Men don't show Women enough respect !!"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next