The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Kong really King?

+3
boomdangle
The_Phenom
JACKMAGIC
7 posters

Go down

Is Kong really King? Empty Is Kong really King?

Post by JACKMAGIC Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

Although I didn't get to watch it live, I did see a re-run of Tom Kong Watson Vs Murilo Ninja Rua at Bamma 6 and myst admit it was a very impressive performance from Watson. He mixed his attacks up well and was very accurate with what he threw. I am a fan of Watsons, I like his style and the guy has a fighters heart. Many doubted Watson could win against the former EliteXC Middleweight champion and UFC veteran, and I admit I thought Rua would provide a much sterner test.

The question is, what were the factors that led to Watson being so dominant? Was it purely down to Watsons obvious ability and seemingly endless cardio, or was Rua, who has since retired, simply way past his best? Would the result have been different if Watson fought Rua in his prime?

It seems to me that Rua came in with completely the wrong game plan in trying to stand with Watson. He had said he would do this in the pre-fight build up and Watson had then goaded him by saying 'They all say that'. When Rua finally went for the takedown his knee looked like he'd had a cabbage implant - there was no base for him to work from.

Did anyone else see the fight? What are your thoughts on this?

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Is Kong really King? Empty Re: Is Kong really King?

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

I seen it and he looked very impressive, however I don't know the validility of his opponent as Alex Reid provided a sterner test. I don't know much about Ninja Rua but is he just simply living of his brother's name ala matthew Hatton.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

It's true the Reid fight was a corker and I think surpised everyone who watched it, however Ninja Rua has previously fought and beaten Reid. I think you are right to an extent in that Ninja is not as accomplished as Shogan, but Ninja has a fairly good record. He lost a fight with Rampage Jackson that everyone (including Jackson) thought he had won - Jackson even offered him the belt afterwards!

I like the idea of Kong Vs Frank Trigg - that would be explosive! Definitely don't see Kong walking through that one in the same manner!

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

Rua is a shell of himself, made the right decision to quit.

Not to take anything away from kong as you can only fight what is in front of you not past glory.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

I heard a rumour that Watson was heading to UFC, but I guess he's not considering he's still fighting in BAMMA

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

It would seem to be the natural progression. I would like to see him defend his title against Frank Trigg then maybe go to the states and take on the UFC

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

When is the next UFC card in the UK, it would make good sense for Dana White to book Watson in the UFC and have a big showdown with Bisping. That would do very good business in the UK!

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

I dont really rate Bisping but I think at present he would have too much for Watson although admitidly I havnt seen a huge amount of the Kong

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

Not sure when the next UK UFC will be, but agree an all British showdown with a former UFC champ and the current BAMMA champ would be great! I also agree with you though Steffan that Bisping would prob have too much for King. Shame because I Like Kong and Bisping is a bit of a Teet.

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

I absolutely despise Bisping, I hope Dana puts him in with Vitor Belfort so we can see Vitor KTFO Bisping.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

It's such a shame when we have a decent british fighter in the UFC who has to degrade his reputation by acting like a tool. Happens all to often in martial arts - ego takes over the humility of the sport.

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Bisping is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Tom Watson is good and will get better but I would still give it to Mike at this stage.

I have tried tweeting Kong a few times but he ignores all requests - I asked him about UFC but got nothing. I dont think he is good enough at this moment to be anywhere near the top of the middleweight tree/ Light Heavy tree in the UFC.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

Hobo wrote:Bisping is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Tom Watson is good and will get better but I would still give it to Mike at this stage.

Agree that Bisping has the beating of Watson but also that Tom is improving with every fight he has. With the prospect of a match with Frank Trigg, do you see Watson winning?

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

I havent seen enough of Trigg to know but he would certainly be the right calibre of fighter that TOm needs at this stage.

I like Kong and I want him to do well. I think he has the right attitude to be very good. The Reid fight wasnt a great representation of him - hadnt he fought a fortnight before and lost?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

Yeah he fought and lost to Jesse Taylor 2 weeks prior.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/20/2180105/bamma-6-kong-vs-ninja-preview

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by paul815 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

I like watson, but bisping would destroy him! would like to see him in ufc/strikeforce, and think he may do well amongst the lower tier; but would struggle against the top guys. he's perfect for bamma though.

paul815

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:46 pm

I tweeted this article to Tom Watson earlier - he retweeted it to his 5000+ followers! Nice one Tom!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

What a geezaaar!

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

I reckon Trigg would outwrestle Watson to a dec. Would be a decent fight but not one I want to see tbh as it will set Watson back.

Watson is never going to be the best but he is good enough to be in UFC imo so hopefully it happens soon.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Fri 10 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

I agree it would be a step up for Watson. There is no way that Trigg will try to stand and trade the same way that Rua did, he will look to take Tom down.

Having said that Tom's takedown defence which used to be non existent is now pretty good, and the quality of his kickboxing is such that Trigg would be wary of taking a knee to the chops as he went in.

paul815 wrote:would like to see him in ufc/strikeforce, and think he may do well amongst the lower tier; but would struggle against the top guys. he's perfect for bamma though.

Think thats spot on - Kong is ready for the UFC but couldn't cut it with the top tier of fighters. Still, where theres money to be made...

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down