The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !!

+3
superflyweight
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !! Empty Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:11 am

Based on how they'd get on with the top Heavies in history including ones that aren't on the list...

1. Muhammad Ali......
2. Lennox Lewis......
3. Mike Tyson.......
4. George Foreman......
5. Larry Holmes......
6. Joe Frazier....
7. Buster Douglas...
8. Sonny Liston......
9. Tim Witherspoon...
10. Riddick Bowe....
11. Evander Holyfield...
11. Joe Louis.........
12. Jimmy Young....
13. Ron Lyle....
14. Greg Page...
15. James Jeffries...
16. Tony Tubbs..
17. Vitali Klitscho....
18. Wladimir Klitscho......
19. John Tate.....
20. David Tua.....

I think Dempsey, Marciano types would struggle against the super heavyweight as they are pressure fighters who are easy to hit....Louis would too but is a dynamite puncher and more canny than those two.........

Johnson was a wonderful boxer but like Spinks and Tunney not sure how they outbox bigger, harder hitting, cute fighters like Dokes, Williams etc.............where as I can see Tua types blasting them away....

Just my take and I appreciate that I am somewhat underappreciative of the old timers...

But I've tried to be fair...

Not sure If I've left anybody out !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !! Empty Re: Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !!

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

Absolute joke leaving Johnson out...

Skills pay the bills my friend, skills pay the bills.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !! Empty Re: Top 20 Alltime Heavyweight list - Based on head to head !!

Post by superflyweight Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:18 am

I tried to do this before in response to a series of article's Shah did. I think my top 10 was:

1. Ali
2. Foreman
3. Lewis
4. Tyson
5. Liston
6. Holmes
7. Vitali
8. Wlad
9. Louis
10. Frazier

Bowe is possibly one that could sneak in, but I tend to think he might have more bad nights than anyone else on the list from 7-10. I remember Louis at 9 proved to be slightly controversial.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:20 am

Not when other fighters are just as skilled and twenty pounds heavier my friend....

You give me a guy Johnson could beat that Page, Wlad and the like couldn't beat easier....

Johnson is my number 3 but I wouldn't fancy him against the Witherspoon that beat Larry...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

superflyweight wrote:I tried to do this before in response to a series of article's Shah did.  I think my top 10 was:

1. Ali
2. Foreman
3. Lewis
4. Tyson
5. Liston
6. Holmes
7. Vitali
8. Wlad
9. Louis
10. Frazier

Bowe is possibly one that could sneak in, but I tend to think he might have more bad nights than anyone else on the list from 7-10.  I remember Louis at 9 proved to be slightly controversial.

I see where you're coming from.........Good list....

Think Witherspoon, Tubbs, Young types may just have been a little cute for the Klitty's....But could be wrong...

Also think the disturbed Douglas in Tokyo is one of the greatest heavies of alltime....

But your list is easy to defend.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:23 am

Can't seriously predict Wlad or Vitali to beat Dempsey surely?

Madness...

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:27 am

Were you drinking last night...

Besides it's how they'd get on with all the top heavies not just the ones on this list......

Dempsey would struggle to beat Quarry.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:30 am

Dempsey would put the Poopie$ up Wlad and bust his rib cage.

Remember Del unsettling Vitali with the right downstairs. Well Dempsey hit twice as hard as Del...

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:34 am

Okay mate... Rolling Eyes

we'll agree to disagree..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 19 Aug 2015, 12:05 pm

I agree with your top three Truss.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm

7. Buster Douglas...

Gonna have a fairly hard time convincing me of that one. Vitali beats him, who you have far too low. Witherspoon as well....

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 19 Aug 2015, 12:29 pm

Ranking on a head to head is clearly going to favour the modern 'super-heavyweights' and anyone who regularly fought south of 200lbs is going to struggle.

If you asked me to produce a similar list for pre-1980 fighters then I'd probably find a space for Tunney in the top half dozen or so. However, as soon as you throw in the modern giants - he struggles to make the top 20.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 12:33 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
7. Buster Douglas...

Gonna have a fairly hard time convincing me of that one. Vitali beats him, who you have far too low. Witherspoon as well....

Not even gonna try... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:
7. Buster Douglas...

Not even gonna try... Cool

Enamor me.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 19 Aug 2015, 1:10 pm

Tyson struggled with Buster and Evan Fields...but he did beat Tony Tubbs I guess!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 1:12 pm

How many Heavies would have beaten Douglas in Tokyo ??

He was punch perfect.....Brilliant jab and combo punching.....6ft 4...Great footwork...Long reach....

Might have made a mistake not putting him above Larry.....at their primes..

As I said in the thread.......It's at their best..

Is Douglas in my top 30 list.......Nope.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 19 Aug 2015, 1:18 pm

Yeah at their best.

At his best, Foreman rolled Frazier like a drunk. Who was unbeaten and had beaten Ali.

At his best, Tyson...who knows.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm

That's why Foreman is above Frazier and his ranked so highly.....

Welcome to the party.....Next time come sober.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 19 Aug 2015, 1:26 pm

I wasn't debating he was ranked highly, but he's below Tyson.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 20 Aug 2015, 9:09 am

Interesting, to base it upon their best performance.

The Sonny Liston that destroyed Paterson twice would seem like the pinnacle but Liston is a complex character and there is a good chance he was already an old man by that stage. How to gauge his best? Ali is probably the obvious for the top as he has beat some of the fighters there that, if I didn't know better I'd say he'd never beat in Liston and Foreman.

Can't see Tyson being able to beat either Foreman or Liston, they are very big very scary dudes. Tyson would not have been able to intimidate either man and as both have great jabs with insane power I just can't see Tyson being big enough.

Lewis is an interesting one, technically very good but against Foreman I'm not sure.

Can't help but come back to a top three of Ali, Foreman and Liston.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm

huw wrote:Interesting, to base it upon their best performance.

The Sonny Liston that destroyed Paterson twice would seem like the pinnacle but Liston is a complex character and there is a good chance he was already an old man by that stage. How to gauge his best? Ali is probably the obvious for the top as he has beat some of the fighters there that, if I didn't know better I'd say he'd never beat in Liston and Foreman.

Can't see Tyson being able to beat either Foreman or Liston, they are very big very scary dudes. Tyson would not have been able to intimidate either man and as both have great jabs with insane power I just can't see Tyson being big enough.

Lewis is an interesting one, technically very good but against Foreman I'm not sure.

Can't help but come back to a top three of Ali, Foreman and Liston.

Tyson was a lot quicker than Foreman and Liston...........Foreman would push him back like Berbick did..

Both have a punchers chance..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Tyson was a lot quicker than Foreman and Liston...........Foreman would push him back like Berbick did..

Both have a punchers chance..

He would have the speed, just wonder how he would have coped against the big jabs they both had.

A punchers chance is what people would have said for Audley against Wlad, feel that both Foreman and Liston would beat Tyson easier than they would lose to him. Wasn't it Dundee that told Tyson to avoid fighters like Foreman because they were all wrong for him (something about shorter come forward swarmers being perfect for big George). Tyson also said he felt that Liston would have intimidated him, that's an interesting one as that could have had a huge outcome on any fight.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

Tyson for me was better defensively...lightning fast and I'm not sure they could deal with him....

But we all see different things and who's to say who is right.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down