The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allardyce to manage West Ham

+4
sportform
compelling and rich
guildfordbat
sodhat
8 posters

Go down

Allardyce to manage West Ham Empty Allardyce to manage West Ham

Post by sodhat Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 am

Well, here we are with the first official West Ham thread being placed in the Championship section. Hey-ho.

It looks all but sealed that Sam Allardyce will take over at West Ham, with a simple remit to get us back up in one try.

He has previous Prem promotion experience with Bolton (via Play-offs), and no doubt what he did in keeping them up and improving them every season is something to truly admire.

It is a strange situation I think alot of Hammers fans find themselves in; instantly I can hear many fans lamenting the 'West Ham way' being sullied by Allardyce's tactics of bullying and pressuring the other side and somewhat direct passing.

My personal opinion is that we need someone to come in and lead us back to the Premiership as quickly as possible. If that man is Allardyce so be it. But lets not judge him just yet - lets wait and see what is served up football-wise, and go in with an open mind. One thing he definitely has on his side is transfer nous, and the odd flair player here and there won't go amiss!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Allardyce to manage West Ham Empty Re: Allardyce to manage West Ham

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:22 am

Sodhat - I'm not a West Ham fan but I've always had a soft spot for your team going back to the days when Ron Greenwood was manager.

From a supporter like yourself of a club that has prided itself on cultured football - the 'West Ham way' as you say - I had half-expected an 'anti- Fat Sam' rant. To an outsider like myself, you seem surprisingly fair minded and charitable towards him.

Regardless of who is confirmed as manager, I hope you gain promotion quickly. The top league (whatever it calls itself this week) of English football is always better for the Hammers being in it. Good luck!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks guilfordbat, I guess I wrote the thread aiming at giving him a chance before the inevitable criticism hits him!

His style doesn't mesh with us necessarily, but for the sake of the club we need promotion, and if he can deliver, I'll accept his methods.

We need some stability at the club now, and managerial changes aren't the way forward, so lets hope someone settles down to the task at hand.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:01 pm

think sometimes people are too quick jumping on sams style, bolton played good football at times. people like matt taylor, kevin nolan and jay jay okacha could all play abit. what sam does is makes you hard to break down and a threat on set pieces (something west ham were crying out for last season.) sometimes his style did over rely on direct football but when you got kevin davies up front you play to your strengths

at the end of the day west ham fans have a choice, try to play good football not achieve it like last season and get relegated or they can have the likes of big sam and do well in thier potenial while not being the next brazil side. would have thought most west ham fans would be happy at the moment to get promoted and stay in the prem, for that sams a good appointment

just have top make sure you dont do a newcastle with him and give him time to turn you around

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Sam Allardyce has stated that West Ham will play the passing game. What? One long pass from back to front?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 pm

My instant reaction on hearing the news was 🤦

But it won't be easy to get out of the Championship - other than downwards - and we do need a bit of steel and organisation. This season just finished we often played well and took a lead - but it only needed the sight of someone warming up from the sub's bench to cause collapse of morale.

So, I will give big Sam a chance....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:49 pm

I don't like Allardyce as a person, but as a manager I think he is slightly underrated. He does get the best out of weaker squads, and with a mass exodus the most likely thing to happen to the Hammers, he won't have much to work with.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm not a fan of big Sam but I'm not totally against his direct style of Play, I love seeing teams get in crosses for a big target man and a nippy striker hovering about

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:59 am

Moore, Peters, Hurst, Devonshire, Brooking, Di Canio and the next great being lined up by Big Sam - I read today - is:

El Hadji Diouf!

🤦

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I chuffing despise Diouf.

I had a suspicion that he may try and sneak him in but I wanted to wait and see. Hopefully paper talk and nothing more.

He is a rotten little oik.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah you don't want that vile low life anywhere near your club, get rid of Cole though and bring in the Lad Graham from Watford for a 3rd of the price

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Do you see wholesale changes at West Ham this summer?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Alot of the players will be going I guess, and that means Cole, Upson, Parker, possibly Noble, Rob Green, Hitzlesperger, Bridge (was on loan, but he'll be out of here - same for Obinna), Dyer and maybe even Demba Ba and Piquionne.

It actually doesn't look so bad to me. Alot of those players had bad seasons and seemed to be stale; it's probably a great chance to cut the wage bill and cut the deadwood too. Noble and Ba are ones I would love to see stay, and Parker too of course, but I imagine £8m later and he'll be off for the good of the cause.

Sam can stick Diouf up his todger. The guy has always been one of my least favourite people. I know people say 'you'll love him if he plays for you', but I don't want him near West Ham.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Sodhat - I think we are going to get on very well. OK

Cheers, Guildford

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Fortunately I think there is some triffic strikers at Championship level at pretty decent prices and many will see West Ham as a great option

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 pm

With Sam Allerdyce in charge, Im sure you will finish 2nd. Behind Leicester City of course Wink

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

i was hoping we would have got chris Hughton as manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down