The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread

2 posters

Go down

The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread Empty The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Just been browsing the BBC sports pages and it looks like Karanka has been pretty busy during the transfer window.

We've brought in:

Jack Stephens (defender) from Southampton [season loan]
Diego Fabrini (midfielder) from Watford [season loan]
Stuart Downing (midfielder) from West Ham [£5m - rising to £7m if promoted]

We're looking set to sign Cristian Stuani (striker) from Espanyol [£2.8m]. Just the medical to pass and contract to sign.
Also re-signed Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas on another loan deal.

As if that weren't enough, apparently Jordan Rhodes has asked Blackburn for permission to talk to us. According to the rumour mill we tabled a £12m bid for him which Blackburn rejected...no idea if thats true or not.

Have to confess I'm a little surprised we've splashed the best part of £8m on 2 players and seem intent on spending a lot more. I had no idea we had that kind of money! I'll check the Oneboro forum later to see if I've missed anyone (I probably have).

Anyway, this amount of transfer activity looks very positive and seems to be sending out a message that we're determined to do what Bournemouth and Watford did last season. Our squad wasn't bad last season, but definitely lacked decent cover in some areas. Hopefully we'll be just that bit better this time around...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread Empty Re: The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread

Post by Nico the gman Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Boring 1st game and a lack of creativity no shots on target in 90 minutes shocking.

Our £2mill signing Forshaw best player in pre season friendlies, can't get a start, we stick with the ineffective Reach, Forshaw should ask Karanka why he bought him, its got me confused.

No shots on target in 90 minutes, but lets hope we keep pursuing Rhodes for the next 6months instead of looking elsewhere, typical Boro in the transfer market, ar$$ing about, 12mill Blackburn take it or leave it simple as that, we need a striker sharpish.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread Empty Re: The Slightly Optimistic 2015-16 Middlesbrough Thread

Post by dyrewolfe Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Have to confess I missed the first half of the Preston game, but your assessment is spot-on if the 2nd half was anything to go by.

It was worryingly similar to a number of games last seasons where we struggled to break down teams that were set up to defend / contain.

Hopefully it was just early-season ring-rust. Thought Fabbrini looked promising when he came on...showed some good touches and attacking flair.

Don't think we need a striker so much as to start providing decent service to the ones we've got. Poor old Kike hardly had a sniff from what I saw.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Here's a stat for you dyre in 11 games out of 12 when we've gone behind we haven't scored, that is absolutely shocking statistics, same again at Reading.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Listening to the commentary on Boro+ we sounded awful. Think we only had 1 shot on target all game. Plenty of possession but did sod all with it.

Its even worse when you consider Reading weren't all that great. They just happened to catch us cold virtually right after the kick off.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Well we seem to have come through the dreaded Christmas fixture list relatively unscathed and in good form.

We have potentially very tough home games to come against Derby and Burnley (FA Cup 3rd round) early January. If we can do well in those, the fixtures get easier (on paper, anyway) and should help us cement a place in the top 2.

I think I'm actually starting to believe this could be our year.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down