The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Campbell: who next and where?

+11
Steffan
Derbymanc
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
wheelchair1991
Pound-for-Pound
TopHat24/7
jimdig
Hands Of Stone
sittingringside
15 posters

Go down

Luke Campbell: who next and where? Empty Luke Campbell: who next and where?

Post by sittingringside Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:21 pm

It's got to be said, that was a pretty exciting performance last night. Offensively, Campbell was classy and mature, on defence, he showed a little more of his relative lack of pro experience. I thought it was interesting in the fight that, to me, Campbell's skill and ability was clearly very high, but his nous in the ring severely lagged behind, letting Coyle tie him up often and lapsing occasionally on defence . Obviously this kind of experience takes time to build in any young fighter, but I think it leaves Campbell in a bit of a quandary. Coyle was a gvery good opponent for that stage in his career, and he beat him up. Now that shows that skills wise, he probably is at world level. However, it would seem like a risk to let him in with a world champion without letting him get more streetwise. So who does he face? I think it's similar (although less extreme) to the Anthony Joshua case, where the fighters natural ability has blasted the traditional educational levels away but still seems a bit raw for the big time.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Luke Campbell: who next and where? Empty Re: Luke Campbell: who next and where?

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Think he has to look beyond domestic level, is clearly a level above and despite being a novice he is 27 turning 28 next month, think if he isn't in line for a world title shot by the end of 2016 he should be very disappointed.

Campbell is in a lucky position that at the moment Flanagan is world champion and Crolla will have another chance to win one. They are both world champion but they aren't unbeatable, adn campbell will fancy himself against both

He also has Burns and Mitchell to fight which are both good fights as if he can't get past them then he isn't ready to win a world title.

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm

The British scene at lightweight is crazy at the moment. I feel like it's snuck up on me a bit. Potentially 3 British champions at the weight by the end of next year.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Campbell has now proven he's a world level lightweight, my worry is that he isn't a lightweight. He seems pretty big, I'll make a wild acusation and say that he struggles to make weight (based on no fact) so in my mind he's got this year to clinch a lightweight title shot, before light welter and welter become his real proving grounds. Matthysse would seem a frightening prospect for him.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Yea one thing is taking a right hand off coyle and a right hand off Matthysse

But yea I think that Campbell has fought a few fights at 136 to 138 so yea he may be a bit too big but at 27/28 I think he should be alright

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 am

Like Campbell but can't shake the feeling that, whilst he'll be good enough to pick up a world title, he's got nothing special enough to be really great.

He's got fast hands but not at the same level as Khan who was more exciting, for example.

He's got most things in the very good-excellent category, but nothing exceptional:

Power
Handspeed
Punch variety
Offensive brain
Footwork
Professionalism/conditioning

A few he needs to work on more:

Head movement
Defensive acumen

He does look big at the weight, but equally at almost 28 he doesn't have much growing left to do, just perhaps a little 'thickening'. So expect to see a world title at LW (not an exceptional division) and then a main career at LWW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 am

Some pretty exciting domestic match ups for Luke though if he does fancy them, which could get him to world level:

Scotty Cardle
Kevin Mitchell
Anthony Crolla
Terry Flanagan

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 am

Was very impressed overall but needs to learn to work inside better. I think a great next test would be in with the guy who beat Burns, Zlaticanin. He's coming off of a good win over Redkach and I think Campbell would learn a lot in that fight and if he isn't the next big thing, we'll find out.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 am

Pound-for-Pound wrote:Was very impressed overall but needs to learn to work inside better. I think a great next test would be in with the guy who beat Burns, Zlaticanin. He's coming off of a good win over Redkach and I think Campbell would learn a lot in that fight and if he isn't the next big thing, we'll find out.

Zlaticanin won a WBC eliminator recently, as has Campbell so maybe that will be made next for the mandatory shot at Linares

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 am

Campbell isn't going to fight anymore domestic rivals until he's an alphabet champion. Only reason he fought Coyle is because of the HULL filling a stadium....Plus the fact Coyle is ordinary.

I like the kid I think he beats Linares. I'm sure however he'll feast on domestic rivals after he's won the belt.

"The British love an all Brit world title fight !!" - Eddie Hearn.

It'll be stiff after stiff...........I'll never moan about Warren again.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:00 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Campbell isn't going to fight anymore domestic rivals until he's an alphabet champion.  Only reason he fought Coyle is because of the HULL filling a stadium....Plus the fact Coyle is ordinary.

I like the kid I think he beats Linares.  I'm sure however he'll feast on domestic rivals after he's won the belt.

"The British love an all Brit world title fight !!" - Eddie Hearn.

It'll be stiff after stiff...........I'll never moan about Warren again.

but those 'stiffs' as you unfairly call them could have most the world titles in the division, so then if their are unification matches between brits I don't think we could moan too much

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:00 pm

It's absolute joke the kind of fighters that get called stiffs on this board. If Matthews, Crolla etc are stiffs, goodness knows what the legions of fighters below them should be classified as. There are more categories than just world class and stiff.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Try telling anyone at domestic level that Matthews is a stiff; Crolla and Coyle have first hand experience of what a nightmare he is to face, being among the best is Britain is something to be proud of not looked down on.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Derry Mathews is no stiff, nor are Campbell, Flanagan, Crolla or Mitchell.

I think Mitchell could be next for Campbell in all honesty. Mathews and Turbo are on the other side of the TV divide (and look set to face off against one another in October). With Crolla booked it makes sense. Coyle could go in with Cardle if Gary Sykes doesn't land that fight.

Great division domestically - has been for years.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

It's an affront to Boxing guys like Hall and Matthews having World after their names...

I bet Colin Jones and Herol feel like puking.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Matthews is an interim Champ Truss, don't think anyone sees him as the world champion (it's also why the winner of Perez/Crolla should be facing him)

When you've got the guys at the top refusing to face decent opposition then you can't complain when every once in a while someone upsets the applecart and wins and continues to fight rot

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Still a world title.....Not a Brit thing either...

Guys like Van Horn and Seldon back home were just as bad..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:31 pm

I hate the interim belts regardless, was gutted when it was announced for an interim as would rather it was just a final eliminator. (or for the belt:) )

There should be a lot more 50/50 fights, especially at the lower levels and we need to get rid of the stigma around a loss too.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Rose against Jones was a good example of that at the weekend Derby, will have been dismissed a pointless fight by some purely because there were no titles on the line but was a good watch and an interesting fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Rematch between journeymen are pointless for me..

Certainly nothing to do with titles..

Just my opinion.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's an affront to Boxing guys like Hall and Matthews having World after their names...

Why? They won them in the ring didn't they? It isn't the fighters who should be criticised (and unfairly labelled "stiffs" by a guy who couldn't fight his way out of a wet McDonalds bag) it's the system.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Domestic and non-title fights are often the best ones to watch

Half the time its the title fights and two P4Ps like Manny and Floyd that are the disappointments

Boxing is boxing whatever level its at. Rees and Buckland showed that last year. Two cracking fights

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Rose against Jones was a good example of that at the weekend Derby, will have been dismissed a pointless fight by some purely because there were no titles on the line but was a good watch and an interesting fight.

It was a cracker. Jones is one tough guy and Rose showed a dimension I didn't think he had. The catchweight undoubtedly told, though. Shame it wasn't at 154.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 pm

If we had more 50/50 fights, there wouldn't be such a thing as a journeyman Truss and some of these 'journeymen' would be remembered for a lot more than losing to up and comers (don't forget a lot are being paid to essentially lose)

Exactly HH, thought that was a cracking match up, especially after the flattening in the first one. Think Carson wants to do it again and i'd definitely watch it. Dave Ryan and John Wayne Hibbert are going at it again soon as well, another good 50/50 match up. On the other hand you could watch Ricky Burns in a glorified sparring session etc

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's an affront to Boxing guys like Hall and Matthews having World after their names...

Why? They won them in the ring didn't they? It isn't the fighters who should be criticised (and unfairly labelled "stiffs" by a guy who couldn't fight his way out of a wet McDonalds bag) it's the system.

You are always moaning about the system...

I think when the title situation becomes so polluted any old journeyman can win one it becomes silly..

I bet Coyle fights for a world title.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:46 pm

And why shouldn't he, if some World champ wants to offer him up as a soft voluntary, then what's the problem?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:51 pm

The domestic scene in Britain is fantastic for real boxing fans. It more pure than the superficial, multi belt, political world level mess that boxing has become now. It often has more edge and fighters that are matched competitvely.

Unfortunately now the damage caused by the fragemnted world title organisations pea soup has started to seep into the domestic scene and organistaions like Matchroom seem happy to skip over it in order to steer fighters towards various path of least resistance eliminators for portions of world titles rather than bringing fighters through via British title where they can come up against other hungry and ambitious rivals.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Rose against Jones was a good example of that at the weekend Derby, will have been dismissed a pointless fight by some purely because there were no titles on the line but was a good watch and an interesting fight.

It was a cracker. Jones is one tough guy and Rose showed a dimension I didn't think he had. The catchweight undoubtedly told, though. Shame it wasn't at 154.

This is not meant as a dig to GGG specifically but that was the kind of fight that makes me watch boxing not a champion knocking out or schooling overmatched opponents. It must be an American thing where they're only interested in the best (Mayweather and Pacquiao) with everyone else being a stiff or bum.

The best fights regardless of level have intrigue to them;

Ryder giving Blackwell a bit of a lesson looking class in the process before the latter turns it around with one punch
Matthysse hitting Provodnikov with the kitchen sink but still wondering if he can keep it up for 12 rounds
Hibbert against Ryan
Quillin against Lee was a slower burner but like Degale against Dirrell you weren't sure which way it was going to go
McDonnell grinding through the gears against Kameda after a very slow and edgy start

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You are always moaning about the system...

I think when the title situation becomes so polluted any old journeyman can win one it becomes silly..

I bet Coyle fights for a world title.

Depends on your definition of journeymen. Ez Charles was once labelled a journeyman.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

This is not meant as a dig to GGG specifically but that was the kind of fight that makes me watch boxing not a champion knocking out or schooling overmatched opponents. It must be an American thing where they're only interested in the best (Mayweather and Pacquiao) with everyone else being a stiff or bum.

The best fights regardless of level have intrigue to them;

Ryder giving Blackwell a bit of a lesson looking class in the process before the latter turns it around with one punch
Matthysse hitting Provodnikov with the kitchen sink but still wondering if he can keep it up for 12 rounds
Hibbert against Ryan
Quillin against Lee was a slower burner but like Degale against Dirrell you weren't sure which way it was going to go
McDonnell grinding through the gears against Kameda after a very slow and edgy start

I agree - give me those fights over a one-sided match any day. Blackwell is a really interesting guy. Looked like becoming a journeyman at one point (like his brother) but is turning into a real gem. I'd like to see him fight Tommy Langford.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:57 pm

He's good enough to share a ring with crolla and Flanagan already, tough fights though. They'll be a lot easier when he learns to clinch rather hold his hands in the air and look toward the referee in the hope that he will break. And the more he fights in this country then the longer he will get away with it, because the referee will invariably break call because he's the Goldenboy. The problem is this will reinforce a bad amateur habit and he will come a cropper without the refs assistance, abroad.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Hammer is a Hopkins fan...What does he know !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 pm

3fingers wrote:He's good enough to share a ring with crolla and Flanagan already, tough fights though. They'll be a lot easier when he learns to clinch rather hold his hands in the air and look toward the referee in the hope that he will break. And the more he fights in this country then the longer he will get away with it, because the referee will invariably break call because he's the Goldenboy. The problem is this will reinforce a bad amateur habit and he will come a cropper without the refs assistance, abroad.

I think Crolla next summer for a title seems realistic. You'd hope they would build him towards a Verdejo fight ultimately. I'd bet on Mitchell next, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:08 pm

No way will he fight Kevin Mitchell....

Hearn will get separate world title fights for both.

He only fought Coyle to milk the Hull connection. The Coyle fight was an eliminator...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No way will he fight Kevin Mitchell....

Hearn will get separate world title fights for both.

He only fought Coyle to milk the Hull connection.  The Coyle fight was an eliminator...

For Linares. They both can't fight him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Mitchell against Linares is my pick for FOTY so far, would be more than happy to see a rematch of that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Doesn't make any sense.....The purses would be too big for no title and they are both guaranteed a shot anyway.

Can't see Hearn wanting to risk two marquee fighters without a title on the line....

He's moaning about making Smith v Fielding..

One will fight Linares. .The other will wait for the winner..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Campbell is still 3 or 4 fights away from contesting a world title realistically. Hopfully those 3/4 fights come against some of the domestic guys that get test him and not hapless South American imports designed to keep him treading water in the WBC rankings and eliminators.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Mitchell is far too dangerous an opponent at this stage of Campbell's career. Impressive enough for a twelfth fight but I didn't see a fighter ready to face Linares.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:28 pm

I have a feeling the linares fight might have finished Mitchell. Hope I'm wrong. Whichever, too risky for Campbell at the moment I'd have thought. Politics aside,  Crolla is the one you'd think would be made for Campbell to look good against

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:34 am

If you intend to fight the Lomachenkos of the world you need to be knocking off fighters like Mitchell. Like Milky I think he's had it. I didn't think the Linares fight was close and he copped a hiding.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 am

True that Campbell should be beating Mitchell if he has goals to be the cream of the crop at 135. I'm thinking of it from Hearn's standpoint. What happens if Mitchell really turns up?
That could turn into a war that you don't need for your goldenboy.

I'm presuming though that you all believe Mitchell is a couple of levels above Coyle, like I do.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:54 am

hazharrison wrote:If you intend to fight the Lomachenkos of the world you need to be knocking off fighters like Mitchell. Like Milky I think he's had it. I didn't think the Linares fight was close and he copped a hiding.

He will when it's viable....

Certainly isn't for the money they'd want pre-alphabet....I wouldn't pay for it !!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down