The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles)

3 posters

Go down

Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles) Empty Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles)

Post by Hero Mon 27 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Had a try today of the new Oculus Rift, whilst the demo game was a not very exciting space flight sim it did very much immerse you into the game, the process of looking around as you're turning into etc was something you immediately got used to and I could very much see it being a huge success when it becomes commercially available.
The only fault I found was the motion sickness, certainly felt nauseous for a good half hour afterwards though the demonstrators said they are working on that as its a common complaint (not sure how they'll fix it, make it smell of mints?).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles) Empty Re: Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles)

Post by Derbymanc Mon 27 Jul 2015, 7:17 pm

Where did you get to try that Hero??? I'm not entirley convinced it will be a success yet but who knows.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles) Empty Re: Oculus Rift (and other next gen 3d goggles)

Post by Hero Mon 27 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm

At the Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester. They've got a gaming exhibition with a load of retro consoles & computers (Atari 2600, NES, Amigas etc) but they were also demoing the Oculus.
I reckon it could be a success, instead of a screen in which you move the controller to look round etc, you just move your head and you're fully submerged in the game world, if something like Kinect was combined with it then you could move your arms about as well with the game (I wouldn't have leg movement involved as you'd end up walking into things) so for example you could see your hands on the steering wheel of a car in a next gen of Forza would be immense.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 28 Jul 2015, 7:59 am

Tried it a few months ago - my younger brother was a tester for their earlier models - and I thought it was pretty impressive. I tried a rollercoaster type ride and this haunted elevator type thing which made me jump onto my brothers toe (I was wearing boots!). Both really immersed you into the game and it was really easy to forget I was in a bedroom!

I don't care for Minecraft too much, but I seen their demonstration of how it will work with their game at E3 and it looked quite impressive as well. I think this could be a real success with certain types of games.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 28 Jul 2015, 9:49 am

Your a star Hero, didn't know that was on there so I know where we're all going tomorrow Smile Hopefully will get the chance to try it out as I can't get the idea of a more expensive virtual boy out of my head Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down