The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump Turnberry

+11
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
Davie
I'm never wrong
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
McLaren
MustPuttBetter
Redrage
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Trump Turnberry - Page 2 Empty Trump Turnberry

Post by Redrage Thu 23 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/33635904

Former world women's number one Dame Laura Davies believes tycoon Donald Trump's dramatic redevelopment plans for Turnberry will be positive.
The Ayrshire course will have five new holes  constructed this year.
"I was talking to R&A members who are in the know last week at The Open and they say the R&A is absolutely delighted with the changes," she said.
"Everyone is excited, so for once he is not controversial, he's doing a really good thing for an Open rota course."

Turnberry has staged The Open in 1977, 1986, 1994 and 2009.

The Ailsa Course at Turnberry was established in 1901 and its current design, drawn up by Scottish architect Philip Mackenzie Ross, has been in place since 1950.
It has staged four Open Championships, the last of which was in 2009, and next week will host the Women's British Open for a second time, the final major event before the reconstruction begins.
American Trump bought the resort from Dubai-based Leisurecorp last year and has announced he will spend £100m developing the links, which will become known as Trump Turnberry.
"As soon as we've gone, maybe a month after we've finished there, they are going to start doing it," said Dame Laura, who won the British Open title at Royal Birkdale in 1986.
One of the most dramatic differences will be at the ninth hole, a par four which featured prominently in the popular BBC Pro-Celebrity television series of the 1980s and requires a tee shot to carry from the coastline across a cliff face on to the fairway.
"Number nine is now going to be a 245-yard par three going in the other direction on to the ocean," Dame Laura told BBC Sport. "Number 11 is the same, that's going to come round the coast, the biggest changes are mainly around the coastline by the lighthouse. Apparently, 14 holes are being changed in total."

If it was anyone else, I wouldn't mind so much... but he is horrible and crass little man.  Even the name Trump Turnberry is crass.  Is that really the best he could do?  I hope that is the name of the whole resort and not the new name for the Ailsa.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Trump Turnberry - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump Turnberry

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Jul 2015, 3:09 pm

Turnberry is a different "links" to most. Half of the course is bounded by cliffs/rocks which puts the course right on top of them, already exposed, the other by a very gently sloping beach with fairly minimal dunes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 29 Jul 2015, 3:52 pm

McLaren wrote:bob

Thanks for bringing this up, for years I was convinced that r*** was r***, regardless of whether the person was your partner or not.  But I have now come to realise that the job title of the person making the claim "you cannot r*** a spouse" was the crucial piece of evidence I was missing.

Having corrected my post as per your comment on the errors it contained I am now convinced it is ok to r*** a spouse and that those making such comments should not be condemned.  thumbsup

Umm I specifically didn't comment on r*** (how are we we ever going to talk about the valuable seed oil) - I was drawing attention to the irony of you using "wildly inaccurate" with what I could see was a glaring inaccuracy - you know because I read the articles and remembered what was written.

Some blowhard, pompous, over paid, overly entitled lawyer making stupid comments and then retracting them neither surprises or shocks me, it just disappoints me and has got nothing to do with golf - a bit like most of your posts. What was shocking to me was that the law criminalizing spousal r*** (really we have to keep writing it like this?) only came into effect in the states in 1993, and not that much earlier in the UK.

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 29 Jul 2015, 4:01 pm

super_realist wrote:Turnberry is a different "links" to most. Half of the course is bounded by cliffs/rocks which puts the course right on top of them, already exposed, the other by a very gently sloping beach with fairly minimal dunes.

Although, unlike say RCD it's also as flat as a pancake - as most links are
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 29 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

As with Trumpton, Aberdeenshire, there is the same separation to be made between owner and design changes, because it's him doesn't determine that the changes to the golf course are bad (or good), that is down to the architect (which isn't him). Yes unfortunately his ego will bathe in the glory if they are good and well received. Of course his ego will also suffer if they are determined to be awful (which will tempt some to say they are awful without actually evaluating them on their own merits). I liked Turnberry as a venue before his organisation touched it so they damned well better not have ruined it but I would judge it on it's merits not on who paid for it and how much.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that that part of Ayrshire needs a big flourishing 5 star golf resort to bring employment and tourist $$$s. Just take a glance out of the car window passing through Maybole or if you go past the resort Girvan. He's stepped in and bought it and no doubt will want to keep it successful. Personally I wouldn't want to work for his evil empire but for many in South Ayrshire needs must and all that.

To our U.S. contributors...are the Republicans seriously actually considering him as a candidate??  Really???

Will AK47's be available for purchase at the new halfway house (may come in handy for some if they're say 6 down at the turn!!)

Last edited by JAS on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 29 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

"Seriously"?
Serious Republicans seemed to try and keep their distance, but there's a lunatic fringe (pun not intended) that grows larger everyday that embrace him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2