The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Le Davis Cup Thread

+10
Good Golly I'm Olly
HM Murdock
laverfan
alfie
slashermcguirk
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
whocares
temporary21
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Le Davis Cup Thread - Page 2 Empty Le Davis Cup Thread

Post by temporary21 Thu 16 Jul 2015, 8:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Britain... France... world cup or summat I guess

More importantly the French are on cloud nine, a Frenchman in the Wimb semis and youre on fast Grass, so what do you do?

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/208220.aspx

You dont pick him for the singles...

Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Le Davis Cup Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Le Davis Cup Thread

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I'd share that view if he was the more accomplished doubles player in that team. Plus he plays doubles at Slams too. Why engage in long rallies when your energy is down? That's what I would be questioning. Yes the risk increases going for broke, but I would if I knew my energy is below my opponent.

I do see what you are saying but leopards can't change their spots.

The other day Peter Fleming argued that Dom Inglot should play in the doubles and keep Murray fresh for the singles. Andrew Castle was all for Murray playing the doubles as happened but the pair argued about it quite a bit. Fleming looks to have been spot on as Murray looks out on his feet now. Guts alone are keeping him afloat.

Craig he has gone for broke when playing hampered.

Inglot is a risk and I can see why Smith opted for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:26 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Inglot is more serve orientated. Once it breaks down, it's like carrying a plank of wood. Marray would've been a good shout.

But Marray wasn't in the team so it was either Inglot or Murray.

Hence why I would've had him in for the tie!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I'd share that view if he was the more accomplished doubles player in that team. Plus he plays doubles at Slams too. Why engage in long rallies when your energy is down? That's what I would be questioning. Yes the risk increases going for broke, but I would if I knew my energy is below my opponent.

The other day Peter Fleming argued that Dom Inglot should play in the doubles and keep Murray fresh for the singles. Andrew Castle was all for Murray playing the doubles as happened but the pair argued about it quite a bit. Fleming looks to have been spot on as Murray looks out on his feet now. Guts alone are keeping him afloat.

Yes but it is all frame of mind a lot of the time for Andy I reckon. When in that right frame of mind then he can go for broke. Here I think he knows it is all on him so his mindset is to play a game plan he is most comfortable with - and this is it.

At this moment in time with Andy looking physically shot though then playing Inglot may have been the wiser move.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:34 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Yes but it is all frame of mind a lot of the time for Andy I reckon. When in that right frame of mind then he can go for broke. Here I think he knows it is all on him so his mindset is to play a game plan he is most comfortable with - and this is it.

At this moment in time with Andy looking physically shot though then playing Inglot may have been the wiser move.

Of course it's a frame of mind, but Andy has to be proactive. If Simon had an ounce of brains, he let Andy run himself into the ground.

Inglot was too much of a risk. Shows how much faith Smith has in him if he is left out.

Yes I feel for Andy, it's a lot of pressure to carry. He went into DC exile because of the lack of depth and what has changed since coming back? He knew the job description when signing on board again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

Simon is in a win/win position here. He can either win it for France or GB in this TB. No pressure then.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

Never really know will we though ? If Andy hadn't played France might have won the doubles and this would be just to get level and leave it to Ward. As it is there is still a chance Andy can somehow pull this off.
Do think going forward GB need a set doubles pairing so it isn't all put on one man. Perhaps easier wished for than done.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:39 pm

Is there any danger of an attacking tennis shot being played today? never seen anything like it -.especially on a grass court

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:40 pm

Andy finding the net with more consistency than Shearer in his heyday!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

Johnyjeep wrote:Is there any danger of an attacking tennis shot being played today? never seen anything like it -.especially on a grass court

clap clap Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

Simon may as well shake hands at the net now.

Andy finding a way back into this match.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

Great fightback as Murray takes the tiebreak and levels the tie Yahoo

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Of course it's a frame of mind, but Andy has to be proactive. If Simon had an ounce of brains, he let Andy run himself into the ground.

Inglot was too much of a risk. Shows how much faith Smith has in him if he is left out.

Yes I feel for Andy, it's a lot of pressure to carry. He went into DC exile because of the lack of depth and what has changed since coming back? He knew the job description when signing on board again.

Don't get me wrong lk - I hear you. I was advocating throughout Wimbledon (on another forum) that Andy had to be more aggressive but got shot down in flames for it. He is what he is and will do it his way (right or wrong) and it does infuriate at times as you know he can play aggressive. Still at least he has taken the second set to tie it up level at one set-all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:51 pm

I see the English batsmen have left their brains at home! picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Don't get me wrong lk - I hear you. I was advocating throughout Wimbledon (on another forum) that Andy had to be more aggressive but got shot down in flames for it. He is what he is and will do it his way (right or wrong) and it does infuriate at times as you know he can play aggressive. Still at least he has taken the second set to tie it up level at one set-all.

He can play aggressive. Just what is going to be the catalyst for it? The legs can only last so long. It's lucky that the rest of the field below him lack any real courage and confidence.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:56 pm

How murray won that tb I'll never know

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

I can draw a diagram temp of how he won it.

This was Simons ringhole at the start of the tiebreak O and then it shrunk to this at 6-5 o

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:08 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I see the English batsmen have left their brains at home! picard
Best to just write this one off.  Change 2 of the top 4 and prep for the next. We'd take 1-1 at this poiny

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

Andy down, and then Smon down again, this time he looks really hurt. Surely this is too slippery

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:51 pm

temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I see the English batsmen have left their brains at home! picard
Best to just write this one off.  Change 2 of the top 4 and prep for the next. We'd take 1-1 at this poiny

They need to learn the power of the leave!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:53 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

More importantly, they need to realise that if theyre 40-3 fielding 4 defensive batsman it would be better to have Alex Hales and Taylor there instead, least they attack. Hales in particular has more a future than Lyth to me.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:58 pm

Simon given a tv on his serve before he's even walked on court, taking some painkillers...  Surely some discretion there

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:58 pm

temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

More importantly, they need to realise that if theyre 40-3 fielding 4 defensive batsman it would be better to have Alex Hales and Taylor there instead, least they attack. Hales in particular has more a future than Lyth to me.

I think they need to change mindset. Bell, Root and Buttler all fine attacking players. The problem is when they go out not to lose, the batsmen nick at wide deliveries. That has to change. I just hope they can show some of the attacking nous they did in the first test.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm

temporary21 wrote:Simon given a tv on his serve before he's even walked on court, taking some painkillers...  Surely some discretion there

Didn't he asks the umpire to watch Murray between points?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm

Hey I'm over here trying to forget the cricket Smile

I don't mind your Hales idea though. After today , I could be persuaded...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:05 pm

Something like that it's 20 here because it's an itf tourny I think.  He makes s decent point I bet both have gone over that

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:07 pm

Credit to Simon though. He was fab for two sets, shame the fall ended this contest after 3 sets

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:09 pm

The match was lost on the TB.

It's a sad inditement that you can set your watch on a Simon collapse.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:10 pm

If Murray's not got energy to move as he normally does, then he certainly won't have the energy to create big shots

To me it's ridiculous that these ties are played so soon after a slam. Basically, both are getting penalised for doing well in recent weeks

Because make no mistake this is a pyrrhic victory for Murray

Because he's already at an disadvantage (in comparison to the two above him, who are sat at home, doing nothing more strenrous that looking after their kid) when that daft spell of two Masters and a Slam occurs in the space of around 5 weeks

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:13 pm

Well done to GB - through to the semi-finals of the Davis Cup. I will say no more than that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:14 pm

Might he be interested in skipping the first masters?  Tears from muzz, he realises how big this is for the tam and gb

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

I think they need to change mindset. Bell, Root and Buttler all fine attacking players. The problem is when they go out not to lose, the batsmen nick at wide deliveries. That has to change. I just hope they can show some of the attacking nous they did in the first test.

When your 500 and odd behind on first innings and then give away three daft wickets any team would become defensive - including the Aussies

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:17 pm

I think that would be a wise move temp. Gives him a shot at the US Open. Isn't the QF after the US Open? Again cack scheduling picard

Someone shoot the Frak DJ at Queens!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:18 pm

banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

When your 500 and odd behind on first innings and then give away three daft wickets any team would become defensive - including the Aussies

I am talking being defensive at 0-0.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:18 pm

temporary21 wrote:Might he be interested in skipping the first masters?

I wondered about that. He's enough points to defend his Top 4 position to skip one. Goodness knows how he'll cope with two Masters a Slam and then a Davis Cup Semi  - if he's playing all three rubbers Yikes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

Just looked at the draw! Its gb v Aus them Argentina vs Belgium! Team gb have the highest ranked guy left in the dc now! Be a huge win for any of those teams.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:21 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

Cook is fine playing the anchor. But we then have a very passive other opener, then a guy who doesnt move his feet, then a very out of form Bell. Hales would automatically up the agression

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

But I don't think they were, I think it takes a very special player to start slogging it when 500+ behind. You get out in a daft way and all the media are on your back - depsite them always moaning on about attacking cricket

I'm not certain about Hales at Test level

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:23 pm

Andy Murray clap

He won't play many more important tie breaks than that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

temporary21 wrote:Cook is fine playing the anchor. But we then have a very passive other opener, then a guy who doesnt move his feet, then a very out of form Bell. Hales would automatically up the agression

Lyth didn't look too passive when he was scoring a century two tests ago Rolling Eyes He should be given at least one more match, preferably the series - we don't want to be going back to the four bad scores and your out days

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

It's not about slogging at the off. It's not the point I am making. I am talking going and playing your normal game. If England say closed the day at 200-2 or something, least you know what to do on day 5. There was so much time left in the game. 

I get frustrated when the batsmen look scared to play a delivery and end up playing one they could leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:44 pm

Tennis and cricket over. 

Golf anyone??

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:00 pm

Golf it is, how close it that getting! Soz for the delay, had to look at some xenohpobic t*at on the cricket bit.

Whats the reckon on the surface for the aussies? Clay even!?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm

Well early indications are indoor HC. Clay would kill Murray that late in the season.

On the golf, Harrington shooting a 65!! Frak!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jul 2015, 9:34 pm

Olly wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Olly wrote:Murray seems intent on half heartedly hitting everything into the net

Rolling Eyes  

Yup and without him France would already be in the semis. Benefit of having a stronger side is that you can rest your best players for the singles. Murray never had that luxury.

So apparently making a comment on how he's playing means I'm slagging him off?

C'mon Craig

Any comment on how he played now then Olly?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 19 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

Come on Olly/Eileen!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:07 am

banbrotam wrote:
temporary21 wrote:Might he be interested in skipping the first masters?

I wondered about that. He's enough points to defend his Top 4 position to skip one. Goodness knows how he'll cope with two Masters a Slam and then a Davis Cup Semi  - if he's playing all three rubbers Yikes

He is currently scheduled to be playing in the Citi Open which starts a week today. Think he would need a proper break sometime soon or he will run out of steam pretty quickly.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:22 am

Turn up for the press and the cheque then "injure" his knee after warm up, that's what I'd do if I were in his shoes.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2