The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ?

+12
Calder106
Guest82
Haddie-nuff
Henman Bill
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
temporary21
LuvSports!
kingraf
dummy_half
bogbrush
sirfredperry
16 posters

Go down

Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ? Empty Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ?

Post by sirfredperry Tue 7 Jul - 16:46

I was quite pleased to see Nick K lose to Gasquet as I thought the Australian's behaviour and demeanour were poor. Inevitably, there are now those saying he is a breath of fresh air, while others reckon he's a brat.
No doubt there will be others saying he has to behave like this, otherwise he can't play. Frankly, this is nonsense. You can play aggressively, arrogantly even (look at Federer) without being disrespectful or rude or loutish.
Anyone can be a brat. Very few can play tennis really, really well. Kyrgios is an immense talent. He has to decide whether he wants to be a clown or a champion.
Views please.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ? Empty Re: Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ?

Post by bogbrush Tue 7 Jul - 16:58

Well he's obviously a complete @r$e, that's not even in dispute. That being the case, there are some crucial factors at play here; he's only just out of his teenage years, he's extremely rich, has obvious potential, and has no shortage of sycophants available, so it's not totally shocking. The hairstyle pretty much tells you what to expect.

The question will be whether he grows up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ? Empty Re: Kyrgios - Brat or Breath of Fresh Air ?

Post by dummy_half Tue 7 Jul - 17:04

Bogbrush

According to Murray, he's actually a nice guy away from the court. Perhaps more the new Johnny Mac than the new Connors?

I do think he's overstepped the mark a few times already in his short career, but as you say he is young, has a lot of ability and the potential to perhaps be the next superstar. Needs to grow up a bit though, and learn how to use the emotional energy to his best advantage (or as McEnroe used to do, to most disadvantage your opponent).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 7 Jul - 17:10

I don't think he's disrespectful... Just a little emotional. Tennis is a weird sport, with the mics on so close, and the attention being magnified. If you think a 20-year old footballer behaves any different after a missing an easy shot than Kyrgios does after a missed volley, I've got this beach house I could sell you in Downtown Johannesburg.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 7 Jul - 17:35

Imo tennis needs him as the sport is stagnating at the top and needs some young blood in there. 
The tanking was poor but in a morass of soulless characters, he is great entertainment.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 7 Jul - 17:36

This was always likely. When you put s lively kid like that in the spotlight he's bound to start getting ahead of himself. Put simply he's both.  Take example from Tsonga or Monfils. They can be real showman on the court, but they aren't brats about it. He needs to be careful to not go the way of tomic

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 7 Jul - 18:00

dummy_half wrote:Bogbrush

According to Murray, he's actually a nice guy away from the court. Perhaps more the new Johnny Mac than the new Connors?

I do think he's overstepped the mark a few times already in his short career, but as you say he is young, has a lot of ability and the potential to perhaps be the next superstar. Needs to grow up a bit though, and learn how to use the emotional energy to his best advantage (or as McEnroe used to do, to most disadvantage your opponent).
Nobody is a dick everywhere, it's an aspect of his character that shows itself in these situations. Like you say, needs to grow up.... unless he is actually a dick for good.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 7 Jul - 18:26

If you were his coach you'd wanna jump of a cliff after that disaster yesterday. The young kid has no discipline at all
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 7 Jul - 19:34

I don't mind Kyrgios the player. I just hope he is not in danger in trying to be someone he isn't. Seems he is taking the whole "image is everything" to heart. He doesn't strike me as the most naturally charismatic of people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 7 Jul - 21:58

He'll look back at this one day and be embarrassed. But the only person he really hurt was himself. He'll have lost some fans, he'll have agitated some sponsors... He will learn though. He's not the first cocky 19 year old who is convinced he knows better, and he won't be the last.

He has some positive sides to his personality. He's a showman, an entertainer and clearly wants to be liked. He just had a teenage strop. For the good or the bad, I must admit I like watching him. He's box office, that's for sure.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 7 Jul - 21:59

I agree with BB. In other words, if someone is 90% of the time nice and 10% of the time a d1ck, then they are a d1ck.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 8 Jul - 1:40

He has no self respect so its hardly a surprise he has none for anyone else.
They accuse Montfils for showboating but at least Montfils does it with humour and without disrespecting anyone.
McEnroe was a brat and even Murray had a certain streak when he was younger .. but frankly I don't think he will grow up .. he might be good but he thinks he is better than that. The sport needs fresh young blood but do we really want this as the new face of tennis.?
If so ill find another sport to watch

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 8 Jul - 10:59

A bit of both really.

I enjoy watching him play and think he's the best hope of the younger players. He's made himself look a bit stupid but as has been said he's young and will learn.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 8 Jul - 11:40

Some articles today saying how shocked and hurt he is by the criticism he has had over what has happened at Wimbledon. One below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33438976

Some of them were over the top and should not have been said IMO. However Kyrgios does not appear to think he is doing much wrong. Therefore I'm not so sure he will learn. This should be a wake up call for him. He is a very good prospect and tennis needs characters but there needs to be some respect for the game and officials. His brand of tennis should speak for itself without the histrionics.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 8 Jul - 13:37

Kyrgios treads a fine line. Of the youngsters breaking through just now he looks the most likely to become a slam winner. Tantrums and rants are part of his make-up and feel that fiery temper will always be there and if he is good enough then I am sure we can all live with that. However, the non-trying stuff we saw from him against Gasquet is a big NO NO and that sort of stuff cannot be brushed under the carpet. It is totally unacceptable.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 8 Jul - 13:41

" I don't really want them to love me. I don't want their love, but everyone deserves respect."

Then he needs to take heed of his own words.
Being young does not excuse his disregard of the rules and disrespect of his opponents and officials, He is not a child he is an adult

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Wed 8 Jul - 16:35

I think he's a breath of fresh air - I don't get the feeling that he's deliberate: I don't think he's pandering to anyone to get attention or to be loved. I think he really is the guy he appears to be and that is refreshing. He is a kid, and perhaps he'll grow up, or perhaps he'll still be doing this when he has grey hair.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 9 Jul - 12:28

Brat - and if that continues should be banned from playing in Wimbledon again

Losing your temper is one thing - the total lack of respect by not even trying is totally different - that would have been an embarassment if a 4 year old did it

My POV - Grow up or P##s off

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 9 Jul - 12:29

Haddie-nuff wrote:" I don't really want them to love me. I don't want their love, but everyone deserves respect."

Being young does not excuse his disregard of the rules and disrespect of his opponents and officials, He is not a child he is an adult

And he is not actaully young - he is 20 years old - if 15 then that would be different

Spoilt BRAT

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 9 Jul - 13:34

Haddie-nuff wrote:" I don't really want them to love me. I don't want their love, but everyone deserves respect."

Nobody deserves respect, this is another piece of media-inspired garbage right up there with "because you're worth it" or the human right to all sorts of stuff. It has to be earned (or at least maintained).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 9 Jul - 14:11

Exactly respect does have to be earned

Even children need to learn respect. Age is immaterial.
Boris Becker, for all his faults, was a respectful 17 yr old Wimbledon Champion. At 20yrs old are you not considered a man??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 9 Jul - 14:33

He's a bit of a goose ; and surely he must realize his behaviour the other day was out of order.
That said I wouldn't want to crucify him for a temporary lapse , even though it isn't his first. Young , emotional , etc...

But where I was disappointed was in his press conference determination to justify himself : all he needed to say was , " OK , I was a bit of a prat , I was upset , sorry " - but instead he got into a game of words with the media , trying to make out he'd done nothing wrong.

Don't these kids use PR advisors ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 9 Jul - 18:01

Meanwhile, the world #1 had to apologise for shouting at a ball girl. Again.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down