The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140

5 posters

Go down

Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140  Empty Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 26 Jun 2015, 2:21 pm

Hard to find many jnr welterweights to beat the smooth Napoles but how does he fare against the wild eratic Hawk.

Who wins

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140  Empty Re: Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 Jun 2015, 2:38 pm

When I think of Napoles I think of that disgraceful phonebooth ring against Monzon.....

Not sure he fought at 140 ONETWO...

So I'll go Pryor against a weight drained great welter............ko 9

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140  Empty Re: Aaron Pryor vs Jose Napoles at 140

Post by Rodney Fri 26 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

I'll go with Napoles if his face holds up , I love Pryor and he was a force of nature but Napoles the silkier, smoother, maybes a sharper puncher with huge talent. Napoles UD over 12 or 15. Good matchup OneTwo.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 26 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:When I think of Napoles I think of that disgraceful phonebooth ring against Monzon.....

Not sure he fought at 140 ONETWO...So I'll go Pryor against a weight drained great welter............ko 9

Napoles beat some very good fighters at 140 and most feel it was his best weight.

See Napoles winning a hard fought fight over distance

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:01 pm

Interesting match up onetwo.

napoles started off a teenage feather, fought around lightweight in his early 20's, and was a light welter really more or less up to the point he fought cokes for the world welter title, when he was nudging 30. Crazy to think a guy could go that long with just a few cuts defeats without getting a shot.

Truly great fighter and this would be a truly great fight.  Napoles to my mind still under-rated by most, a fabulous fighter and Pryor a personal favourite. I'm erring to napoles on points, with a Pryor tko on cuts a fair covering bet.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:14 pm

I consider Napoles a different class of fighter, but Pryor is still one of the most dangerous 140lbers in history, & would have success here. I see Pryor's volume and strange angles putting him out in front over the course of the first-half of the fight, but Napoles making sound adjustments & picking Pryor apart with neat counter-shots & clever positioning through the second-half. By the end, Pryor is still punching but has lost his edge in ring generalship, & missing the slicksta Napoles.

Tough fight tho and a pick em.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:22 pm

Have to remember fighting Pryor was both awkward and draining..

Like Hamed he could punch off the wrong foot..

I'm going for Pryor late..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have to remember fighting Pryor was both awkward and draining..

I think Pryors best chance to win will come in the early rounds. If he does not get the job done early then the boat would have sailed for him Napoles would adapt and box his way to a win.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:29 pm

Cracking match up, OneTwo. Napoles just oozed quality and Pryor was a great value for money performer.

You can class it as boxer versus puncher, but both had a bit of each to them - it's just that I think Napoles had more than Pryor in that respect. He was a tactician with a tight defence and smooth skills, but he could punch, had a nasty streak and was very robust with it; in the fights I've seen of him, which is quite a few, he's basically never on the back foot, even against a banger like Ralph Charles or against a big Middleweight in Monzon. He was actually taking it to Monzon and on the front foot scoring with good shots before his eye gave out and Monzon's right hand and natural size / strength advantages came in to play. Until that point he'd had Monzon grabbing hold and backing up.

If Pryor can't get him backing up I think it's a hard night for Aaron. The Arguello fights show that Pryor was more than just a brawler and that he did have good skills and some trickery (and he had great amateur pedigree too, don't forget) but I still think he's up against a more complete fighter here in Napoles. I think it'd be a brilliant fight to watch with some ferocious exchanges up close, but I'd take Napoles to grind out a hard-fought decision.

That's provided his eyebrows hold out, of course.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 Jun 2015, 4:37 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have to remember fighting Pryor was both awkward and draining..

I think Pryors best chance to win will come in the early rounds. If he does not get the job done early then the boat would have sailed for him Napoles would adapt and box his way to a win.

Like Arguello ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 26 Jun 2015, 5:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Like Arguello ??

Napoles was a slicker boxer then the text book Arguello TRUSS

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down