The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBA and the titles

+11
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Atila
Dipper Brown
Coxy001
Mayweathers cellmate
taguey
Sam_London
TRUSSMAN66
RatBoy66
wheelchair1991
15 posters

Go down

WBA and the titles Empty WBA and the titles

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 12:16

I noticed on saturday after Andre Ward demolished Paul Smith that Sky put up all the world champions in the supper meddleweight division including Fedor Chudinov who holds the 'regular' WBA strap.

Are we in danger of having 5 recognised world champions instead of the 4 we have unhappily accepted to an extent over the last 2 decades?

4 already is too much in my opinion

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

WBA and the titles Empty Re: WBA and the titles

Post by RatBoy66 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 12:33

Only if we/the general public start recognising them as champions.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 13:05

I wish the FBI would go after the WBC and WBA the way they have gone after FIFA......More skeletons in those two organizations than the other two....

Leave us with the IBF and the WBO..........

Only way anything is going to end this stupidity...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 13:08

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I wish the FBI would go after the WBC and WBA the way they have gone after FIFA......More skeletons in those two organizations than the other two....

I don't think the IBF are any better, remember the Khan vs Peterson fiasco? Have a guess which organisation let Peterson keep his 'world' title?

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 13:12

IBF are probably more "professional" ........

But I get your point..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 14:35

Think as long as Quigg has the WBA "Regular" belt, SKY will continue to portray it as a legitimate strap so as to sell his fights as world title fights.

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 14:45

the IBF may have its faults but i think they are the best sanctioning body, it had to clean up its act after being investigared in the late 90's early 2000's

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 14:53

Does anyone really take any notice of the belts?

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 14:58

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Does anyone really take any notice of the belts?

I couldn't really give an arse. Only Tr-stuckinthe80s-uss does. Quite why when you have international, silver, platinum, gold, emerald etc. variations under one "organisation" who knows.

In 10 years time we'll have a PBC belt as Haymon is starting to pull the strings now. Be like UFC, which on this sole point is no such bad thing as everyone knows who the top dog is in each division.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 15:23

Coxy001 wrote:

I couldn't really give an arse. Only Tr-stuckinthe80s-uss does. Quite why when you have international, silver, platinum, gold, emerald etc. variations under one "organisation" who knows.

In 10 years time we'll have a PBC belt as Haymon is starting to pull the strings now. Be like UFC, which on this sole point is no such bad thing as everyone knows who the top dog is in each division.

I didn't write the thread...But don't let that stop you from talking bollox...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 15:31

Lads, take it easy on the acronyms please! Get beat to death with them enough at work.

K THNX

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 15:43

Yes, fighters do because having a title helps them to build up their names so they can make more money.

In recent years, a fighter wasn't even getting to fight Floyd unless he had held a title at some point in his career.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 15:54

Whilst we as hardcode fans may have long since ignored the belts and found our own ways of navigating our way through the nonsense we are not the issue. The issue is in regard to new fans and casual fans. Have any of you actually tried to explain the belt situation to a casual fan, why Quigg is a champion, but not a real one, Frampton is arguably more of a champion, but still not the real champion as that is Rigondeux. Or why the WBA has 11 interim champions despite the real champions not being out of action in most cases, or what a super champion, silver champion or champion emeritus is or how one obtains such a status?

If you can do this in less than half a day or in a manner that does not cause you to want to crawl into a hole through the sheer shame of following such a sport you’re a better man than I. Don’t think for a minute we are any nearer achieving this but as Truss has said this is a situation that needs addressing. I would dearly love it if, as he has said the FBI decided to go after them, they have proven with FIFA such matters as jurisdiction mean little to them, so what is stopping them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 16:09

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I wish the FBI would go after the WBC and WBA the way they have gone after FIFA......More skeletons in those two organizations than the other two....

Because they're whiter than white?

Bunch of drug-cheart endorsers. No credibility in my eyes following Khan-LP.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 16:33

I always thought that British boxing fans that helped bring about the popularity of the WBO.

When Benn first brought the WBO middleweight title to England, it was a very lightly regarded belt. He, Eubank and then Calzaghe helped the belt to be taken seriously over here.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 16:39

We should create our own belt, call it the "606" and then charge 10% which would be evenly distributed between the running of the boxing forum and its most popular members i.e. me, erm, rowley (even if he's banned me more times than I've had birthdays) and a few select others.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 17:03

Coxy001 wrote:We should create our own belt, call it the "606" and then charge 10% which would be evenly distributed between the running of the boxing forum and its most popular members i.e. me, erm, rowley (even if he's banned me more times than I've had birthdays) and a few select others.

Come on Coxy, how long you been on this forum? Don't you know it's the home of well hung, astronaut -billionaires? Nobody needs any extra money round here.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 18:00

Coxy001 wrote: rowley (even if he's banned me more times than I've had birthdays)

You can count on one hand the amount of times he's banned Coxy !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 19:59

Its a myth that the mulitple titles exist for the sake of "casual" fans. Its generally the "hardcore" boxing fans that pay attention to these.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 22:45

Hatton and his wbu belt used to annoy me. I think wlad still defends an ibo belt.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 25 Jun 2015 - 10:16

catchweight wrote:Its a myth that the mulitple titles exist for the sake of "casual" fans. Its generally the "hardcore" boxing fans that pay attention to these.
They sell fights. X vs X for the World Title looks good on a card.

Maybe only the hardcore can tell an IBF from a WBC champion but that's a side note.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 25 Jun 2015 - 19:23

They sell fights irrespective of whether a fan is "casual" or "hardcore". Its a myth that only armchair fans are taken in by fights with various titles on the line. They are gimmicks which appeal to all manner of fans.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 26 Jun 2015 - 10:02

Much rather see 2 hungry British guts put all on the line for a British title than most of the ' world' title defences against tincans to pad a record.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down