The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!.

3 posters

Go down

Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!. Empty Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:21 am

As a kid Iron Man was "my" Comic hero !!........In my time I accrued vol 1 1-200 (68-83 ish) and picked up the Tales of suspense series he started on with Captain America.......Through constant mithering I eventually sold the lot..........I think TOS 39 in Vg condition brought me a £150 alone....

Regret it now but hey we all have regrets...........

The similarities between Howard Hughes and Stark are very apparent....We all know that Tony Stark is Howard Hughes..(Stan Lee fessed as much !!).....The grooming, the appearance, the mustache, Tall, thin but broad, billionnaire industrialist...........Hell he even shared the guy's traits.....Tough, alpha male, rebellious, outspoken but lonely, introverted and isolated with it........

We all were brought up in amazement with stories of Hughes audacity and his various two fingered salutes to the Senate committee and authority in general...

So HTF is smartypants, short-arsed, unmacho, lumpy, wimpy, wisecracking Downey Jr playing Tony Stark ???????.....

Robert Taylor was an actor made for the role..........Shame he ain't around anymore..

rant over.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!. Empty Re: Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!.

Post by lfc91 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

Think this is one of these situations that will bother the fans of the comic books (such as yourself) much more than the casual fan (such as myself). Comic book fans will always feel he doesn't really fit the character profile/appearance etc. built up over many years by the comic books. Where as I quite like Downey Jnr in the Iron Man role, as I have never read the comics so had no ideas about who/what the character should be going into the films!

Similar to Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher I think. I quite liked him in the role (never read any of the books), but I know from some light reading online that there was huge outcry from fans of the book as Cruise doesn't really fit the profile of what Reacher is supposed to be, e.g. 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest, blonde hair etc.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!. Empty Re: Iron Man - Travesty that Downey Jr is playing Tony stark !!.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:04 pm

I've read "A wanted Man" and Cruise really is way out there as far as casting goes..

Good book.

If I was more of a reacher fan...I'd probably have more of an opinion on it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:14 pm

Yeah going in with essentially no knowledge of the character (ok I knew the basics about Iron Man but not much else) made it easier for me to just try and judge the actors performance as stand-alone in the 2 cases mentioned. Can see why fans of the written work would be unhappy in both situations though, especially with the fact that Tome cruise is literally about 1ft to small!!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:41 pm

Reacher is tailor-made for someone like Hugh Jackman or, if you go on physical dimensions alone, Dwayne Johnson. However, I fully appreciate why the gave it to Cruise*

*if you work on the basis that most people in Hollywood are stupid c*nts!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:43 pm

I'd be surprised If Lee child's would have let a muppet like Johnson have his creation.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

Going on physical dimensions/appearance alone, Dolph Lundgren would have been a good shout...(If only he could act, like at all, even just basic acting ability..)

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:53 pm

I saw him in a movie on Sky recently (battle of the damned) which was awful. It looked like he couldnt even run these days so maybe 15 years ago but not now!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:56 pm

Given that Reacher is one of those far removed from reality characters who doesn't get his ass kicked and always wins the day, it seem plausible to have a larger than life actor playing him. Having read all the Reacher books I find them enjoyable but predictable insofar as you know what's going to happen but are happy to go along with it. Johnson isn't going to ruin the character as he's basically reprising his role in "Walking Tall"

Cruise in the lead role hardly gave the film any extra box office boost and Johnson is rapidly becoming a major star in Hollywood these days (Hey, if Vin Diesel can make it then so can Johnson) so you tell Lee Child that Johnson will make a Reacher film for a fraction of what it will cost to get Tom Cruise and it certainly do no worse at the box office then I'm sure he'll put his "integrity" aside for a piece of that particular pie.

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:58 pm

I saw that a few months back Adam, a truely horrible film in every department! Felt like one of those sci fi channels own films that are made intentionally ridiculous/hilarious e.g. sharknado/arachnoquake/pirahnaconda etc.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:58 pm

Adam D wrote:I saw him in a movie on Sky recently (battle of the damned) which was awful. It looked like he couldnt even run these days so maybe 15 years ago but not now!
I also saw him in a film where he was battling Chinese/ Japanese (don't forget to wash your knees) gangsters and the chase scenes were edited to shown Dolph running for no more than three seconds at any one time. Lord only knows why he's still in The Expendables after the first one...hey, maybe Dwayne Johnson could take his place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down