The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray - The Re-Birth

+2
sportslover
legendkillar
6 posters

Go down

Andy Murray - The Re-Birth  Empty Andy Murray - The Re-Birth

Post by legendkillar Tue May 31, 2011 2:58 pm

8/7/2001 will be a date synonymous with British tennis fans. For me it was the date I lost all hope in British tennis. Tim Henman was dumped out of the semi-final of Wimbledon in 5 sets to Goran Ivanisevic. A wildcard ranked 125 in the world. Mentally could crumble at any time. Here was Britains time in the limelight. Henmans hopes previously had been crushed by 7 time champion Pete Sampras and he was no longer in the draw thanks to an unknown youngster Roger Federer. Henman though did make 3 further Grand Slam semi-final appearances where he was dispatched by Federer, Hewitt and Coria. Then in 2005 on 23/06/2005 a skinny British youngster Andy Murray defeated Radek Stepanek who has ranked 12th in the world in straight sets. I turned to my friend who I was watching it with and said this guy is going to be great. His returning that day for an 18 year old was sensational and he looked special. Only fitness prevented him going beyond Daniel Nalbandian. Everyone has been saying it. He will win a Grand Slam. 2 Grand Slam final appearances and 2011 Australian Open Final. One Novak Djokovic was in the way. At the time no talk of what has become the talk of the year, The Streak. There was a quiet optimism amongst the press and tennis fans. No Federer to end Murray's dreams. Djokovic had lost to Nadal at the US Open Final, but had won the Davis Cup with Serbia. Question was could Murray get in Djokovics head and his game and win this? I felt so. 3 sets later of brutal tennis and another final passed Andy Murray by as he blown off the court. After that defeat we saw Alex Corretja gone and back to back defeats to players ranked outside the top 100. I at this time genuinally believed that Murray would be outisde the top 5 come end of year on that form and added with Soderling playing career best tennis and Del Potro coming back and winning again.

Then came clay. The same sighs of this can only get worse. Andy's least favoured surface and no decision on a coach. This is a make or break year for Murray. Roll on Monte Carlo. Semi Final Murray v Nadal. I thought it would be a 2 set victory for Nadal. That thought was further enhanced by Murray's injury before the match had began. And nearly 3 hours later Andy may have lost the match in 3 sets, but what I saw was someone that was over the worst slump in his career and now playing his best tennis. Becoming more aggressive and it was paying off. Then in Rome, Djokovic his conqueuer in Australia and on an amazing undefeated streak stood in his way in the Semi Finals. Murray had chances to win and services games to win and should've done. Djokovic again put Murray to the sword. What we knew then was not only did Murray find his clay game, but his all round game in general that will be good for him for the rest of this season and beyond.

Here we are at the French Open. Murray through to the 4th round without dropping a set and an injured ankle. We witnessed the disgrace that was Fognini that day too. Murray took to the court and for the first 2 sets was not moving well at all and Troicki had him for the taking. Many thought after the first set that he would retire and at the press conference be fuming and then even worse I would have to listen to WUM's calling him a bottler. The last 24 hours have been amazing. Murray now through to the Quarter Finals to play Chela who he has beaten here twice. If he can get fully fit and win that encounter, I would imagine Nadal will not want to face Murray after Monte Carlo and on the back of some off form which has lead to doubts whether he can regain his crown.

Murray is back and maybe, just maybe 05/06/2011 will be a date that changes British tennis.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The Re-Birth  Empty Re: Andy Murray - The Re-Birth

Post by sportslover Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Couldn't have put it any better and I hope he gets through to meet either Soderling or Nadal as there is no guarantee that it will be the "King of Clay" he will be facing.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm still whistling the theme tune to "The Great Escape".

How he managed to pull that win off, after all the swearing at the TV screen I was giving him, after all the hair I pulled out, after the multitude of times I was stupidly writing him off, I'll never know.

He was two points on another guys serve from going out of the FO.

I wish he'd stop doing this, my heart, MY HEART CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE !!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm

YOUR heart Jubba !!!!!

What it is to be a Murray fan - we must all be sado-masochistic

Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Murray just has to win a GS one day doesnt he. So much quality and on his day can beat anyone. I do wish he had a little more mental strength
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 pm

eirebilly wrote:I do wish he had a little more mental strength

I do believe he's getting there, eirebilly.

It's been great following Andy's progress on here....sounds like he's doing fantastically well, despite his nasty ankle injury.

I haven't managed to watch any of the FO......my life is extremely hectic at the moment......been catching up with RG on here.

Nice to see so many new posters on the tennis forum.......welcome all : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 pm

Andy Murray surely now can believe he can win the French Open. It would be such an amazing feat if he were to win it before winning Wimbledon which many believe is the most likely Slam for him to win.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down