The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

+37
EST
Manky-Flanker
InjuredYetAgain
JonnyEdinburgh
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
highland_scot
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
VinceWLB
des
justified sinner
cakeordeath
A Simply Mesmeric Try
lostinwales
IanBru
Prothero
Imperialbigdave
madmaccas
TJ
nickj
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
cp10
Weegie Wizard
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
BigGee
Majestic83
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
41 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Time Honoured Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Dave-a10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii

A. Edinburgh (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Patek10 
Players In
William Helu from Wasps
Nasi Manu from Highlanders
Nathan Fowles from Sale Sharks
Michael Allen from Ulster
Jack Cosgrove from Worcester Warriors

Players Out
Tom Heathcote to Worcester Warriors
Grayson Hart to Glasgow Warriors
Ollie Atkins to Exeter Chiefs
Tim Visser to Harlequins

B. Glasgow (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Flik_f10
Players In
Simone Favaro from Benetton Treviso
Grayson Hart from Edinburgh
Kieran Low from London Irish
Mike Blair from Newcastle Falcons
Sam Johnson from Queensland Reds
Greg Peterson from Leicester Tigers
Taqele Naiyaravoro from NSW Waratahs
Javan Sebastian from Carmarthen Quins

Players Out
Nikola Matawalu to Bath Rugby
Sean Maitland to London Irish
D.T.H. van der Merwe to Scarlets
Dougie Hall retired
Jon Welsh to Newcastle Falcons
Alastair Kellock retired
Murray McConnell to Nottingham
James Downey to Wasps
Tommy Spinks to Jersey
Euan Murray to Pau
Connor Braid released

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Aug 2015, 11:01 pm

I can see why he left for "personal reasons" now.

Stalking people properly takes ages*.
Full time training must really have got in the way.

*I've heard.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 2:38 am

It's a shame really when you think about it, if you're going to move clubs to stalk someone it really is rotten luck to choose the only club with a live in superhero.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:01 am

Glasgow really are making it easy for Edinburgh to retain the cup this year! They'll have run out of players by christmas!

Does Barlinnie have a rugby pitch?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:06 am

If Glasgow are now needing an additional prop for the upcoming season, any idea of anyone at least reasonably decent and experienced (and preferably SQ) that they could go for? Obviously virtually everyone will already be tied to contracts for next season already. What about this Nick Fraser who is playing in Australia, not sure if he's a loosehead or tighthead to be honest. Berghan might be an option from Edinburgh if Dell is fit again I suppose.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am

Dell is a looshead.

I hear Jack Gilding is available….. Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

Hands off our props! You had your chance with Cross but let him go.

Re: Dell I'm not sure I've even seen him, let alone seen him play. I recall being pleased when he came on board but he's been eclipsed by the efforts of Rory Sutherland last season, who was a real find.

Could Meatball cover prop?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:45 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Hands off our props! You had your chance with Cross but let him go.

Re: Dell I'm not sure I've even seen him, let alone seen him play. I recall being pleased when he came on board but he's been eclipsed by the efforts of Rory Sutherland last season, who was a real find.

Could Meatball cover prop?

He got to play in a couple of games this season and looked rather good, but then got injured so hasn't had a chance to show what he can do. Sutherland has been very good though so it'll be interesting to see what happens when Dell is fit again. We could have the issue of 3 very good SQ players with realistic international ambitions competing for the same place. Great for depth but not good for the players.

When I win the Euromillions I'll seek to contribute to a third pro team...

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

Dell did play a couple of games and, as a South African under 20s world cup winning player, certainly has promising pedigree.

As has been said though he then missed the rest of the season, at which point Sutherland came into some fantastic form.

Makes perfect sense therefore that Dell made it into the Scotland squad...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

With Grant, Reid and Jerry at the soap dodgers, loosehead is a pretty well stocked position at both Pro sides, and 5 options are SQ (including a Lions tourist).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm

I've seen Iain Milne recently and it would still take a pretty decent loosehead to push him off the ball, massive. Perhaps a Sinatra-esque comeback could be on the cards..

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm

Doubt he'd leave Exeter, but I would look to re-sign Moray Low personally.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 04 Aug 2015, 3:39 pm

What side of the scrum does Grant Sheills frequent?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Aug 2015, 3:42 pm

Loosehead

Edinburgh currently have 5 LH and 3 THs on the books.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm

Dell profile on Edinburgh Rugby wrote:
Educated at Queens College in Eastern Cape, the promising young prop, who can play on both sides of the scrum, qualifies for Scotland through his grandmother, Joan Carmichael, who was born in Paisley and brought up in Edinburgh.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/edinburgh-rugby/player/allan-dell

I wonder if he's being tested as a tight head for both Edinburgh and Scotland?

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:19 pm

cp10 wrote:
Educated at Queens College in Eastern Cape, the promising young prop, who can play on both sides of the scrum, qualifies for Scotland through his grandmother, Joan Carmichael, who was born in Paisley and brought up in Edinburgh.

All his appearances for Edinburgh have been at LH, and from memory he was playing LH when SA won the under 20 world cup. Couldn’t comment on his Vodacom and Currie Cup cup appearances.

Being classed as being able to play TH and actually being able to at the top level are two different things (just ask Dickinson) and at under 18st he’s small for a tighthead.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
cp10 wrote:

All his appearances for Edinburgh have been at LH, and from memory he was playing LH when SA won the under 20 world cup. Couldn’t comment on his Vodacom and Currie Cup cup appearances.

Being classed as being able to play TH and actually being able to at the top level are two different things (just ask Dickinson) and at under 18st he’s small for a tighthead.

Agree. Whilst it would be genuinely great it he could play both sides, there are very few props in recent times to actually have been able to do that to a genuinely high standard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

I’ve just seen that Thom Evans is playing in a charity rugby game at the Twickeham Stoop in September – great to see him fit enough to be able to play rugby again, even if it is a charity game.

Chances of him making a comeback to professional rugby??

It isn’t all good news – Mrs RDW-to-be is down in London that weekend and is completely obsessed with him, and has been since she saw him in his boyband years as a teenager. Probably fair to say he is on her ‘list’ along with Adam Levine, Henry Cavil, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Jamie Dornan, Daniel Craig, Colin Firth, Matthew Lewis, Chris Hemsworth, Liam Hemsworth, Orlando Bloom, Jude Law,……Mossy, Shlong, Visser, S-H-C, Dan Carter, Ritchie McCaw, Chris Robshaw (!)…..I could go on! Rolling Eyes

Hopefully the restraining order will prevent her from getting too close to him….

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

That's some list! Mrs fES was focused on Gerard Butler until I pointed out that he too was a corporate lawyer. That seemed to take the gloss off that particular fantasy!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

Ryan Reynolds is on my list

Just saying!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:44 am

tigertattie wrote:Ryan Reynolds is on my list

Just saying!

On "your" list? Nothing wrong with that of course....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:13 am

To be fair, if Mossy, Carter or McCaw came to the door and professed their undying love for her I'd bow down to the superior man and wish her well on her way! Probably fair to say she wouldn't overly argue with it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair, if Mossy, Carter or McCaw came to the door and professed their undying love for her I'd bow down to the superior man and wish her well on her way! Probably fair to say she wouldn't overly argue with it.

You forgot to mention that you would also blag as many free rugby tickets as possible for compensation!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm

When we were back in Landantaahn I made the tactical error of taking Mrs GC to see Benedict Cumberbatch in a play. Big, mahoosive mistake.

She is claiming to go cold turkey but I just know if I was to check her viewing history on Netflix, all 3 series of Sherlock would mysteriously have re-appeared on the 'recently watched' list.

It's nothing like my relationship with the Corrs, for example, which is pure love. The Corrs. All of them. Simultaneously. Jim could hold the video camera. Too much? I just freaked myself out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 08 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/15/08/06/regional-age-grade-championships-launched-support-bt-sport-scottish-rugby-academy

This look like a really good common sense move, our best young players competing against each other in good conditions with benefits for scoring more tries. That's the level of competition we need to make a step up at the very highest level, I'd still like to see the u20s compete in cross nation competitions, maybe an u20 B&I Cup with the Premiership academies, province from Ireland and Scottish and Welsh Regionals, or at the very least a Celtic Cup. The more high level, high speed games they play the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 09 Aug 2015, 12:18 pm

Was just reading through this article: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/rugby-clubs-reject-call-to-delay-new-youth-leagues-1-3853390

and noticed this bit at the end:

"The motion that no competitive adult fixtures be scheduled for the day of Scotland home games in the Six Nations, unless both clubs agree, was carried."

Might affect a couple of our more athletic posters!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm

I don't know about more athletic, but it is a good move.

We've generally moved kick offs earlier when there has been a clash but it still isn't ideal.

Saying that, with no Autumn test break this year our 2s season finishes the end of January!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Aug 2015, 3:04 pm

This year's SRU annual report is here if anyone would like a look:
http://www.scottishrugby.org/sites/default/files/editor/docs/SRAR_1415_lores.pdf

Better news for the sport all round - the 6N humiliation being the only real poo in the salad.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 09 Aug 2015, 5:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't know about more athletic, but it is a good move.

We've generally moved kick offs earlier when there has been a clash but it still isn't ideal.

Saying that, with no Autumn test break this year our 2s season finishes the end of January!

That'll be about three weeks after the MFL then. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Aug 2015, 6:05 pm

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't know about more athletic, but it is a good move.

That'll be about three weeks after the MFL then. Whistle

Aye very good.

You know what, I bet you bru's stones that Edinburgh finish above Glasgow this year!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:09 am

Well if the old adage that forwards win matches and back decide by how much rings true, then Glasgow will be well behind Edinburgh next season.

That said, I'm not sure the adage contemplates the scenario where the backs on one side are complete g*sh, whereas the other side comprises almost entirely international players.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well if the old adage that forwards win matches and back decide by how much rings true, then Glasgow will be well behind Edinburgh next season.

That said, I'm not sure the adage contemplates the scenario where the backs on one side are complete g*sh, whereas the other side comprises almost entirely international players.....
Laugh  Funny because it's true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair, if Mossy, Carter or McCaw came to the door and professed their undying love for her I'd bow down to the superior man and wish her well on her way! Probably fair to say she wouldn't overly argue with it.

Talking of Mossy he was down at the RBS rugby force day that was at my club on Saturday. How he survived playing rugby with out getting more serious injuries is beyond me, His legs are like twigs!!

Took part in a kicking competition against him as well. Someone got 2 out of 6, the other got 5 out of 6!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

Maj, did Mossy take his defeat gracefully?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

He did eventually, after his 1st couple misses where he was having a bit of a laugh it all got very serious.
I gave him a few tips on how to improve once we'd finished.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:11 am

Well, Mossy just took the easy kicks as a player anyway (according to some posters on here), so I assume you marched him to the edge of the half way line and insisted the kicks were taken from there........

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

there was 1 from halfway but they started from the 22 line back to half way.

On another note, anyway been in the South of France recently, hired a car and got a speeding fine on their return home?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:09 pm

Majestic83 wrote:there was 1 from halfway but they started from the 22 line back to half way.

On another note, anyway been in the South of France recently, hired a car and got a speeding fine on their return home?

Nope, but I make a point of driving like a lunatic when I'm in France. When in Rome....

Seriously, you must have gone some to get a speeding fine in France!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:there was 1 from halfway but they started from the 22 line back to half way.

Nope, but I make a point of driving like a lunatic when I'm in France. When in Rome....

Well you would think so but I've come back with one, my girlfriends parents came back with 2(they are old and v slow drivers) their friends have also come back with one and mates of mine have as well.
Seems to be a real crack down in France with hidden cameras.

Appealing mine though, where it says I got mine I was 10 mph over the limit, the street was full of speed bumps so if I had been going the speed they say I would have either been taking of on each speed bump, or more likely with it being a French built car the car would have fallen apart.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

If you're being truly French, you will go on strike, refuse to pay the fine and then blockade a port in protest.

Whilst eating a pain au chocolat, wearing a stripey jumper, shrugging and smoking a Gauloises wrapped inside a Gitane.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:38 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

If you're being truly French, you will go on strike, refuse to pay the fine and then blockade a port in protest.

Whilst eating a pain au chocolat, wearing a stripey jumper, shrugging and smoking a Gauloises wrapped inside a Gitane.

Is your wife not French? Or have I just made that up?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:40 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Born in Lebanon, went to school in Paris, hates French people despite French being her first language.

But, and let's be clear about this, she has her faults too.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Born in Lebanon, went to school in Paris, hates French people despite French being her first language.

I take it the French passport comes out if she ever has to travel to the USA?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I take it the French passport comes out if she ever has to travel to the USA?
Canadian. Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 10 Medita10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:17 pm

All sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me! Which I appreciate no one has...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:All sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me! Which I appreciate no one has...

GC's wife and her Canadian passport, or Maj getting fined by the French??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:36 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Well you would think so but I've come back with one, my girlfriends parents came back with 2(they are old and v slow drivers) their friends have also come back with one and mates of mine have as well.
Seems to be a real crack down in France with hidden cameras.

Appealing mine though, where it says I got mine I was 10 mph over the limit, the street was full of speed bumps so if I had been going the speed they say I would have either been taking of on each speed bump, or more likely with it being a French built car the car would have fallen apart.

This isn't why you got a speeding ticket is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33845832

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:40 pm

I read that just now as well and immediately thought of Maj! Those are some great parenting skills right there!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Aug 2015, 2:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:All sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me! Which I appreciate no one has...
She also lived in Canada, so it's not all that dodgy.

However, FES' multiple Geneva accounts in the name of "Jimmy Krankie", on the other hand...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

George Carlin wrote:
She also lived in Canada, so it's not all that dodgy.

However, FES' multiple Geneva accounts in the name of "Jimmy Krankie", on the other hand...

Those just represent sensible financial planning. I mean, who would keep any money in a Scottish bank......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next