The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think

4 posters

Go down

GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think Empty GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think

Post by dyrewolfe Fri May 22, 2015 3:59 pm

F1 drivers launch survey to canvas fans' opinions

Formula 1 drivers have launched a fan survey that they hope might help shape the future of the sport.

The study, which will last two weeks and has been organised by the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, will ask a range of questions about people's attitudes to F1.

GPDA chairman Alexander Wurz said: "We want to know what the fans think."

McLaren's Jenson Button, a GPDA director, said the fans' views were "important".

Button said he hoped they would be fed into discussions about the future of the sport - last week, the strategy group of leading teams and governing bodies proposed a series of changes for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

You can take the survey here GPDA Survey
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think Empty Re: GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm

nothing will come of this, drivers have never had any power in the technical decisions of f1. Jenson Button has admitted that the fan survey issued by the Grand Prix Drivers' Association is a great tool to understanding the fans opinions, but ultimately it will not be powerful enough to effect change in the way F1 goes about its business.

Back to top Go down

GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think Empty Re: GPDA Survey...our chance to tell them what we think

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 5:42 pm

seems pointless to me

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat May 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Well what a pair of Negative Nancys. Rolling Eyes

People are happy to criticise the sport for its failings, but when given the chance to give their views to people who are actually involved (regardless of how much actual clout they have) they say its pointless.

I just did the survey and while there was some lightweight fluff in there, it was pretty detailed. Took me the best part of 30 minutes to complete and I think if enough people take part, it could give a useful insight to the F1 community of just what fans really think.

Fine, its only the GPDA, but its well known that the drivers are not happy with the cars the way they are. I think the teams will be well aware of the drivers' feelings and no doubt the engineers will be frustrated by the restrictions they have to work under.

If this feeling is shared by the Big 5 teams, I suspect there will be further pressure to make more changes to the regulations, beyond those planned for 2017.

There is one surefire way to make sure nothing changes and that is to do nothing...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat May 23, 2015 9:10 pm

I admire your sentiment dyrewolfe but do you honestly think the FIA are going to take on ANY suggestions unless they are to profit it from it? I seriously doubt it - no I know it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat May 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Sure they won't take any notice. Be interested to see if they release the results.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun May 24, 2015 11:08 am

Obviously there is no guarantee anything will change as a result...but it can't hurt to try.

Also I think its a positive sign of sorts that the drivers are prepared to take some kind of initiative. They could be happy to just show up at races, do their thing and collect their pay cheques, but they're not happy with things as they are and are at least making an effort to get some feedback on fans' opinions.

Toto Wolff was saying in an interview during quali that the general decline in attendances at races is a concern, so people know there is a problem. He even said that he would embrace changes to the regs that might be detrimental to Mercedes.

Nice to see at least one person prepared to look at the bigger picture.

Christian Horner typically said it should be down to the likes of Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone.

Technically he is right, but it would be nice to see an outbreak of common sense among the team bosses and have them realise that they all depend on F1 for a living and that they ought to be prepared to make some compromises, if they benefit the sport as a whole.

CaledonianCraig wrote:
I admire your sentiment dyrewolfe but do you honestly think the FIA are going to take on ANY suggestions unless they are to profit it from it? I seriously doubt it - no I know it.

Not so much the FIA, as the top 5 teams who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and Uncle Bernie who will go on milking the cash cow until it finally runs dry...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Roberto Baggio Sun May 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Horner was always going to say that as he is Bernies #1 choice to replace him.

The grid needs more teams. More teams mean we have a greater chance to find the next Senna, Brawn or Newey. It's in the bigger teams intrest really to ensure an even spread of money through the grid to keep the sport innovative.

Will the survey work?

F1 knows that it is in decline. It knows it's become a bore fest. Any changes have to be beneficial to the bank account though. If it was all about the show then we'd never be going to Azerbejan. At least India had a driver on the grid.

As fans we owe it to our sport to give our views and emplore you to make a difference.

If you like tyres made of cheese, cars 8 seconds a lap slower than 10 years ago and one team dominating because of stupid engine regulations then may I suggest you don't take the survey.

Roberto Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 pm

http://gpda.motorsport.com

Results of Survey

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, the results are broadly in line with my own thoughts.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether TPTB act on any of the findings and what those actions are.

Pretty impressive response though - over 200,000 people from over 190 countries.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down