The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faldo's last Open

+19
MontysMerkin
hend085
MustPuttBetter
LadyPutt
incontinentia
ralphjohn69
super_realist
navyblueshorts
Hibbz
SmithersJones
hampo17
barragan
pedro
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
McLaren
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Faldo's last Open - Page 2 Empty Faldo's last Open

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 20 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sir Nick has announced he will play in his last Open this year at St Andrews. BBC Link here
"I was there" (as Max Boyce would say) in 1990 when he won the Open there.
Always good to announce BEFORE that it will be your final event, then it doesn't matter what you score, people will forgive you. Go before being pushed.......unless he wins it of course!!!

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Faldo's last Open - Page 2 Empty Re: Faldo's last Open

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:23 am

Can we stop the Mod discussion/commentary in the open please?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:29 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Can we stop the Mod discussion/commentary in the open please?
So you want it covert?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

If you want. I don't suppose anyone's bothered if people PM about things but it's understandable that Admin don't want negative comments about them in the open. :really_need_a_shrug_emoticon:
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

Just before I get another indefinite ban. I didn't mention them. OK

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:36 am

navy

Discussing modding issues in private would be a terrible idea.  Is there a board somewhere on the site where people can ask questions and raise concerns?

PS Super_realist just PM'ed me a picture of his genitals? That has to be another ban.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm

Back to Faldo, perhaps?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm

Should 606v2 adopt a policy where bans are kept thoroughly under wraps and certainly any fines are not disclosed?
I hope you're not too out of pocket Super and can make a Dustbin Johnson style comeback
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:23 pm

Also I like Nick Faldo
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

do the US audience like Faldos commentary? i think its terrible. i would prefer to see him take a more technical view like Miller or Kostis rather than the a poor effort at being the class clown like Feherty or McCord

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm

after reading his autobiography I thought he came across as a thoroughly dislikeable character. Selfish and self serving to nth degree.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:45 pm

Was Faldo the harrington of his day?

Successful but unpopular with fans and fellow pro's?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:15 pm

Faldo's commentary?
I don't think his commentary over here is popular with players or audiences. The only stories he ever tells are about "Jack" and Seve, no sense of personality whatsoever.
Miller not my cup of tea, but Kostis is superb.
Faldo was never popular here as a player, always seemed to be resentment at his success and solitary (he'd call it focussed) behaviour. And I think that still lingers, especially to people who listen to Lanny Wadkins (and Miller)! I don't feel he's ever accepted as a golfing "great", certainly not as much as others who have achieved half of sirnick's success.

Harrington is popular with fans here, certainly very popular when we follow him and he is great at acknowledging the fans.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

Harrington always seems massively popular with other players
I'm reading Monty's autobiography at the mo and he speaks very glowingly of him
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:23 pm

Kwini

Harrington is not all that popular with UK golf fans. Maybe you mercans have been influenced by your ever weird affinity for all things Irish.

Watch golf in a UK golf club and the main themes of Harrington comments are that he is an odd ball, slow, eyes close together, and generally that he is unloved.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm

Yes, well, not a mercan, so just call it as I see it. Though it sounds as if you are trying to pin your characterization of Harrington on "UK golf fans".
I've probably followed Faldo on course more than any other golfer and always thought he was great to watch, except for the 1991 RC when he basically went walkabout.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

Kwini, I actually said "watch golf in a UK GOLF CLUB", so not all uk golf fans. Maybe you have forgetting how simple minded and troglodyte like the atmosphere is in UK sports clubs but they are still places in which a slightly odd, slow playing, funny eyed Irishman is not going to get much support.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:44 pm

Yes. Well, you actually said "not all that popular with UK golf fans" and segued into watching in a "UK golf club".

So, as I said . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

Are you refusing to answer the question about whether you think Harrington is popular in UK golf clubs because it was too similar to a term already used?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:51 pm

Why should I have an opinion on something I've never experienced? Still less, why should I care??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:52 pm

This is like one of those court scenes in a film. A really bad one
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

Never really been much of a Faldo fan. When I was a kid, he was THE golfer, but he was always a bit awkward. I really enjoyed reading his autobiography, and have to admire him for having the honesty and integrity to publish a book that didn't portray him in the best light and wasn't "media cleansed".

Since he stopped playing seriously he's become more bearable. Watched him round Wentworth in the matchplay back in 2000 (I think) and he was relaxed and joked with the crowds. Maybe I'm in a minority but I've enjoyed listening to him as well. I find some of his commentary amusing and very insightful, but I can understand why his dry / sarcastic style would confuse or even alienate US viewers.

Despite his terrible RC captaincy, you've got to give him credit for picking Poulter as a wild card, which was controversial at the time, and above all for his advice to bring waterproofs to Celtic Manor... something team USA should have heeded!  Doh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

Can't stand Faldo's commentary - especially when he tries to be funny (not). And why do the Americans insist on using the "Sir". They don't call Laura Davies "Dame" but perhaps its because they don't realise the two and one and the same honour.

Does anyone else in the UK have an issue with Nick Dougherty on Sky pontificating about how other players should be playing! He has lost his card and his only claim to fame now (apart from having been touted as yet another "next best thing" in British golf -and a Faldo protégé) was marrying Di Stewart Rolling Eyes .
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

Seems to be a collective trait that most golf commentators are truly terrible.

There are certainly more bad ones than good.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:53 pm

super_realist wrote:Seems to be a collective trait that most golf commentators are truly terrible.

There are certainly more bad ones than good.

The best golf commentator at the moment, and I believe I have mentioned this before, is Andrew Cotter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm

He is good, but I wish he could speak more than three words without drawing a long breath.
Surprised I didn't mind Azinger, especially when him and Allis were getting stuck into 9C for having no brain. Something I've long suspected.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

Azinger would have been better if he hadn't repeatedly mixed up Justin and Jordan (once or twice even including the surnames)

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:11 pm

Is Cotter BBC only? So he only does 6 days commentating a year? He must struggle to provide the level of insight that the sky commentators have from being involved every week.

I find Wayne Riley and Howard Clark excellent.

In the studio I enjoyed the Howell / Lee / Dougherty combo for the Masters breakfast, they got a decent balance of chat, predicition and banter. I find Monty painful to watch, and Roe difficult to listen to.

Anyway Mac, my understanding is that you don't have Sky and therefore you are in no position to have a view on commentators at all!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

Too many commentators on the US Networks just don't know enough of the golfers; Faldo, Azinger, Miller, Curtis Strange, McCord are all guilty of that, especially the "International" golfers.
Perhaps it's beneath them to learn a bit about the guys below superstar level - suspect there was a bit of that in Faldo's Ryder Cup fiasco.
Azinger usually very insightful but could do more homework on the players.
Still think Warren Humphreys is as good as anyone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

True Kwini, the American commentators pronunciation is dreadful, as is their inability to know the difference between Scandinavian countries.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Can't stand Faldo's commentary - especially when he tries to be funny (not). And why do the Americans insist on using the "Sir". They don't call Laura Davies "Dame" but perhaps its because they don't realise the two and one and the same honour.

Does anyone else in the UK have an issue with Nick Dougherty on Sky pontificating about how other players should be playing! He has lost his card and his only claim to fame now (apart from having been touted as yet another "next best thing" in British golf -and a Faldo protégé) was marrying Di Stewart :roll: .

Yet you happily make suggestions for McIlroy on how to improve his game even citing your own tactics...........

I think Dougherty is fine. Comes across affable and pleasant when he could easily be bitter about his own game. Also a big fan of Rob Lee's presenting and Radar Riley on the course. I find Mark Roe irritating and I found Jack Nicklaus painful to listen to during The Masters.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

If below superstar level means the player having no major, then who exactly did Faldo speak to when he was Euro RC captain?

Ray

I have sky and watch their golf coverage when BBC is not available.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

McLaren wrote:If below superstar level means the player having no major, then who exactly did Faldo speak to when he was Euro RC captain?
Himself of course...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

super_realist wrote:True Kwini, the American commentators pronunciation is dreadful, as is their inability to know the difference between Scandinavian countries.
Do you know the difference between American States? If someone asked you where Idaho or Nebraska was would you know?

Re: Faldo - I'm not sure he's such a bad guy. Yes his behaviour can embarrassing and yes his Sergio Ryder cup comment was misplaced, but he was very supportive to Norman when he had his Masters collapse, and seems to make an effort to help young guys coming through.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:07 pm

The modding on the golf subforum is largely fair - can't be said on the board as a whole

Try going to the Rugby board and saying Welsh rugby is cr*p - that will get you banned as quick as you like even if it is an honest opinion

I can't imagine any reason to get banned on on off topic forum though - they should be marked "here be dragons" - anyone venturing into an off topic forum should think twice if they don't have thick skin

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:26 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:True Kwini, the American commentators pronunciation is dreadful, as is their inability to know the difference between Scandinavian countries.
Do you know the difference between American States? If someone asked you where Idaho or Nebraska was would you know?

Re: Faldo - I'm not sure he's such a bad guy. Yes his behaviour can embarrassing and yes his Sergio Ryder cup comment was misplaced, but he was very supportive to Norman when he had his Masters collapse, and seems to make an effort to help young guys coming through.

Inco, I'm talking about knowing the difference between something like a Norwegian and a Danish flag, the difference between NOR, DEN or SWE next to someones name or making the mistake that Finland is Scandinavian. You don't need to even know where they are (or Idaho or Nebraska) to get something like that correct.

The pronunication is another matter. You'd think like a football commentator that they might do a bit of homework and find out how to say a name rather than just guess and demonstrate their ignorance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

Btw Faldo didn't know either where some of his Ryder Cuppers were from...

And how the world no.2 turned into "Hedrick" a few weeks ago is still beyond my imagination.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:00 pm

pedro

The world no.2 turned into Jordan a few weeks ago.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

incontinentia wrote:

Maybe Ico, but if you're pontificating about something on air, wouldn't you make sure what you were saying was correct? Or do too many of them not care enough?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

Navy

I much prefer the professional journalist/commentator to ex pro's who don't understand the nature of the job.

The likes of Murray Walker for example are far superior. Even Allis, who is an ex pro, managed to learn the trade properly over time.

There is an art to gathering and conveying information and ex pro's just don't have the required skills.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:31 pm

Surely you want a balance and that's why most of the commentary teams are a mix of career commentator and golf pro (coach, player whatever), Critchley and Harmon types
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

I much prefer the professional journalist/commentator to ex pro's who don't understand the nature of the job.

The likes of Murray Walker for example are far superior.  Even Allis, who is an ex pro, managed to learn the trade properly over time.

There is an art to gathering and conveying information and ex pro's just don't have the required skills.  
I agree. There's too many who get the commentating/expert gig on Sky (or wherever else) simply because they played a given sport to a decent level. Playing does not equal communication skills, insight or understanding.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:51 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

The likes of Murray Walker for example are far superior.  Even Allis, who is an ex pro, managed to learn the trade properly over time.

I agree. There's too many who get the commentating/expert gig on Sky (or wherever else) simply because they played a given sport to a decent level. Playing does not equal communication skills, insight or understanding.

Exactly. Phile Neville. QED

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:44 pm

ive liked Rich Beem since he started on sky actually

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

Has there ever been another person with the surname Faldo? Presumably there has, i.e his dad, but I've never ever heard of anyone else called that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:56 pm

super_realist wrote:Has there ever been another person with the surname Faldo? Presumably there has, i.e his dad, but I've never ever heard of anyone else called that.

Unfortunately s_r I know of one other. I was working the night the Marchioness collided with the Bowbelle on the Thames, and had a very remote involvement. The captain of the Marchioness was a Stephen Faldo.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:14 pm

Late to the party, but for what it's worth....

Faldo as a golfer has to be respected and his achievements admired. Of course I don't know him, but what I know of him means I'm not particularly keen on him, in the way I'm not keen on Woods or Watson (Gerry).

Faldo as a commentator is only one step ahead of Monty in my book - i.e. hard to listen to, but then that's down to personal taste. I do like Rich Beem - he's a lot better than I expected.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm

Agree about Beemer.
I imagine you (GB&I) guys like what you hear from Kostis and Maltbie in their respective on-course roles?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:24 pm

Faldo is the only pro I have ever seen top the ball.

Which was nice.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:27 pm

I saw Eduardo Romero top one at The Dunhill. Amazing how many terrible shots you do see pro's play when there isn't a Director and Editor around to select the best shots.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 22 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Faldo is the only pro I have ever seen top the ball.

Which was nice.

That Fast Show touch plus the mental picture resulted in a little chuckle. Thank you.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next