The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

+39
wadey101
owen10ozzy
socal1976
Geordie
Azzy
Mat
dummy_half
LastDamnation
nadeem2099
Corporalhumblebucket
lorus59
Duty281
Gerry SA
Rowley
FIFA Diva
CFCNick
hampo17
Mike Selig
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
kingraf
Josiah Maiestas
compelling and rich
daraghj82
mystiroakey
Soldier_Of_Fortune
westisbest
Stella
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
FootballLight
NickisBHAFC
Crimey
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
GSC
Hammersmith harrier
Ent
43 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 20 Empty We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by Ent Sun 12 Apr 2015, 10:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Missed the game today Sad great result!

City have bought terribly since they won the title in 11/12, 100s of millions and no real certain starters or class players introduced.

They've prospered in a relative decline of the pl, picking up the top players from the non top 4 and the sub elite Europeans was good enough as a base but they didn't kick on and it has showed in Europe and this season.

6 wins in a row for United, city, Spurs and Liverpool in that run.

Top 4 all but secured, big test next week against chelsea.

Ent

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 20 Empty Re: We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 11:54 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Ent wrote:
GSC wrote:Wes Brown also has a Champions League medal.

Soooooooooooo...

2 actually.

Gerrard is a myth, today was nauseating - but we all knew it would be.

2 better players with greater achievements actually retired the last 2 years and we didn't get this Love sacks from everyone involved.

Anyeay on the day his lack of legs directly contributed to palace over running Liverpool over and over again and ultimately led to their loss.

I do actually agree, it sums up the mentality of Liverpool at the moment to be honest and it's not like he's retiring but rather has chosen to leave for a different club, all totally over the top.

His overall impact on the Premier League has been quite small and it's no coincidence that Liverpool went from being a very strong team in 08-09 to an also ran the next season, a certain midfielder left at that time hmmmmm.

I'm also very much with Ent and Hammersmith.

When Liverpool have been a great team in the past, they've had a hard edge to both their play and their management. Even the affable Bob Paisley had an inner steel beneath his normally chuckling appearance. Gerrard was not good enough for yesterday's match and should not have been selected. The 90 odd minutes were swamped in sentimentality and the antics belonged to a testimonial game.

I think Liverpool were more focused on the occasion rather than the result. They would have liked to have given Gerrard a good send off from Anfield with a win, but Gerrard MUST have played in that game regardless.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread  - Page 20 Empty Re: We Go Again! The 2014/15 Premier League Thread

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 May 2015, 11:54 am

You should be happy, mysti. Deservedly so! Palace took the game seriously as a Premier League fixture earning them the 3 points and you your dosh!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 11:56 am

Just saw a write up saying yesterday was the equivalent to a state funeral. Sums it up well.

Palace were excellent yesterday, completely outplayed Liverpool.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 May 2015, 11:57 am

FootballLight wrote:

... but Gerrard MUST have played in that game regardless.

Why?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 11:58 am

I agree Ent. It was for Liverpool's case definitely. I think the best summary you can make of that game was that Liverpool played Gerrard's testimonial, Palace played the game to win.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 12:01 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
FootballLight wrote:

Why?

As you have rightly pointed out, he is not retiring, he is leaving. Yet, at the same time, that was most likely the last game Gerrard will play for Liverpool at Anfield. He is known to the majority of Liverpool fans as a legend for the club so it was pivotal that he was to play in the game really. It might make more sense not to play him and win the game and get into Europe, but its easy to say that now. The automatic reaction of Liverpool players before the game would have been for them to win the game for Liverpool. That didn't happen as the occasion was too much for the players.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 May 2015, 12:14 pm

Pretty much sums up Liverpool at the moment - more worried about the past and honouring it then the future. No European football, will probably lose their brightest prospect and an egotistical idiot for a manager. Bleak times on Merseyside ahead
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 12:16 pm

They should have played their best team.

He could have had a testimonial as part of liverpools pre season.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 May 2015, 12:26 pm

FootballLight wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
FootballLight wrote:

Why?

As you have rightly pointed out, he is not retiring, he is leaving. Yet, at the same time, that was most likely the last game Gerrard will play for Liverpool at Anfield. He is known to the majority of Liverpool fans as a legend for the club so it was pivotal that he was to play in the game really. It might make more sense not to play him and win the game and get into Europe, but its easy to say that now. The automatic reaction of Liverpool players before the game would have been for them to win the game for Liverpool. That didn't happen as the occasion was too much for the players.

FL - thanks for your reply. It's a game of opinions just as this is a board of opinions. Mine is that it was more pivotal or important to show the importance of the team continuing and with its best players in that team. Those best players no longer longer includes Gerrard regardless of his past efforts and successes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 May 2015, 12:29 pm

To be honest, all you United fans sticking your oar in, the top 4 was gone anyway, so Liverpool could afford to play Gerrard, it was a meaningless game, in a season which had ended anyway.

As for Liverpool's brightest prospect, Olly, Sterling is a pile of ****, so losing him won't be a blow. Big rebuild now for Liverpool & a few years in no mans land ahead, given how the top 4 will strengthen this summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 12:40 pm

Wouldnt day it was meaningless.

Still could have made top 4, although unlikely. Now they can be caught by Spurs and southampton, potentially dropping to 7th. That effects the prize money allocated and if villa win the cup won't have a Europa league spot attached. Though Liverpool might have a fair play spot in that case.

Even in that outcome they'd go into the wualifying round and have to start their season early.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 17 May 2015, 12:41 pm

Swansea: Fabianski, Richards, Fernandez, Williams, Taylor, Cork, Shelvey, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Montero, Gomis.

Subs: Tremmel, Bartley, Tiendalli, Britton, Grimes, Barrow, Emnes.

Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Mangala, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Milner, Toure, Lampard, Silva, Aguero.

Subs: Caballero, Kompany, Clichy, Jovetic, Dzeko, Navas, Bony.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 May 2015, 1:03 pm

I cant begrudge Steven Gerrard his day. United did similar for Giggs a year ago, so some should check their glass houses before throwing stones Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 1:15 pm

Well giggs announced his retirement after the season had ended.

He was also manager and made a sub appearance in his last game at old Trafford if I recall correctly.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 May 2015, 1:17 pm

Strange how that didn't actually happen GSC, his final home game consisted of 20 minutes once we were already 2-1 up but yes it was very similar.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 1:21 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
FootballLight wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
FootballLight wrote:

Why?

FL - thanks for your reply. It's a game of opinions just as this is a board of opinions. Mine is that it was more pivotal or important to show the importance of the team continuing and with its best players in that team. Those best players no longer longer includes Gerrard regardless of his past efforts and successes.

I should probably credit you more than you should credit me. I agree, Liverpool should have done what is best for the club, but after the game that's easy to say. I would have expected the Liverpool players to up their performance and win for Gerrard, that unfortunately hasn't happened for them. Also, I think Rodgers would have received more hassle if he wasn't to play Gerrard.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 1:25 pm

Ent wrote:Wouldnt day it was meaningless.

Still could have made top 4, although unlikely. Now they can be caught by Spurs and southampton, potentially dropping to 7th. That effects the prize money allocated and if villa win the cup won't have a Europa league spot attached. Though Liverpool might have a fair play spot in that case.

Even in that outcome they'd go into the wualifying round and have to start their season early.

Yes, maybe that is the consequence. However, I think if you asked 100 Liverpool fans, around 80% would say Gerrard is their best midfielder still (roughly). That's not because of his achievements or honours, but because of his influence and his quality. I think Gerrard is Liverpool's best midfielder still, argue that all you wish. So I would think Gerrard should play as he is their best midfielder and Liverpool will have wanted to play their best team to guarantee a Europa League spot. That didn't happen because the team played poor.

I also think regardless of the occasion, on a normal weekend Liverpool would have lost that game because the team collectively played poor.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 1:32 pm

Which is it? Is he the best midfielder or did he have to play given the occassion - you have said both.

Hope swansea win, give us the chance to catch city.

Think people are overlooking the fact that 4th doesn't equal cl qualification, qualifiers are unseeded now (iirc) so could pull out Sevilla or a team of that calibre.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 1:39 pm

He is Liverpool's best midfielder (although both is still technically true).

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 May 2015, 2:05 pm

It was a meaningless game at the end of the season, it was the final home game for a club legend.

No idea why this is any kind of a deal. Get over it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 17 May 2015, 2:12 pm

I love Xabi Alonso but he was not even close to Gerrard's level until his final year. I know it's been rewritten to make out Benitez to be stupid but Alonso was poor from 06-08 and it wasn't out of nowhere that he was on his way out. He then put in a world class season and it earned him the move he wanted. Gerrard was also fantastic that year and the year before and every year going back to 04/05, and even the ones before he was promising and the ones after he was the best part of a very poor side. Last season he was fantastic and he was probably the second most important player in the title charge bar Suarez for me. 

I definitely think he's better than Fabregas who is a neat and brilliant player, but he faded badly this year, didn't have a great time at Barcelona and is never a guaranteed starter for Spain. For me his overall play doesn't hit Gerrard's level and never has and I think if you take Fabregas out of Chelsea's side and put in any Gerrard from 2005-2010 that team is better. 

For some reason and I feel like it's because Liverpool fans love him (because how dare we value the best player arguably Liverpool has ever had, who is actually local as well) Gerrard is incredibly undervalued. His loyalty to Liverpool has let him down really because he could have played for any of the top clubs in Europe at any time and indeed they all wanted him. I believe it was Bayern who tried to sign him before 13/14. 

My problem with Scholes' place in world football now is that for years people have claimed he was underrated and an amazing footballer and the best part of the United sides. Now he's reached the point where he's overrated because people have tried to counter him being underrated. I think Scholes was good, but at no point in his career as he ever been the best player at Manchester United or the most important. His longevity is fantastic and the adaptation in his game impressive, but I've yet to ever see a convincing argument as to why Scholes is the Premier League's best ever midfielder. I think especially before he dropped deeper later in his career, he wasn't special at all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 17 May 2015, 2:16 pm

Also the game with Palace had nothing on it, a Europa League place perhaps but not anything huge and it was the last game at Anfield for THE best Liverpool player of the past 10 years. I know Giggs or Scholes might have not got the same deal but they're famous for the longevity and service, I don't think there are many who would say they're the best Manchester United had during that period. There simply isn't the same connection between them, they were always playing for one of the best clubs in Europe so their loyalty to one club simply isn't as impressive.

Also, I don't think there was any suggestion during the game that Liverpool were taking it easy. I wish that was the case, but I think Crystal Palace were just the better side fair and square, they had more intensity and Rodgers got the tactics wrong with the back three against a team with such pace. Gerrard had been starting most weeks anyway and actually playing well and scoring, so he wasn't plucked out of the reserves to start this out of sentimentality. I also think wanting to win for Gerrard was probably added motivation to win.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 2:45 pm

Sigurdsson is a good little player I think at Swansea. I can see why he got his move (from Reading) to a big club. Unfortunately, he just didn't hit it off at Spurs and I don't think them clubs will take a chance on him again. He takes up very good positions, links with the strikers well, creates chances/assists, grabs a few goals here and there for his side and can take a very good set piece from a variety of positions. I think that is money well spent by Swansea and if he was to leave this summer, I don't think Swansea would accept anything under £15m for him at least.

I think he has found his level at Swansea where he is capable of playing his best football. He could maybe fit into a Europa League side, but he needs to be a regular, but I do think he would be a good signing for whoever gets into Europe this season.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 3:01 pm

Does fabianski have holes in his hands?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 17 May 2015, 3:11 pm

Crimey wrote:Also the game with Palace had nothing on it, a Europa League place perhaps but not anything huge and it was the last game at Anfield for THE best Liverpool player of the past 10 years. I know Giggs or Scholes might have not got the same deal but they're famous for the longevity and service, I don't think there are many who would say they're the best Manchester United had during that period. There simply isn't the same connection between them, they were always playing for one of the best clubs in Europe so their loyalty to one club simply isn't as impressive.

Also, I don't think there was any suggestion during the game that Liverpool were taking it easy. I wish that was the case, but I think Crystal Palace were just the better side fair and square, they had more intensity and Rodgers got the tactics wrong with the back three against a team with such pace. Gerrard had been starting most weeks anyway and actually playing well and scoring, so he wasn't plucked out of the reserves to start this out of sentimentality. I also think wanting to win for Gerrard was probably added motivation to win.

I may, may I add, just guess you are slightly too young to know how good Scholes was. Equally, Gerrard spent a lot of time standing out in a team full of second rate players. Even talents like Mascherano and Alonso didn't match up to Keane.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 3:22 pm

Gomis needs to head that down, made it saveable.

De gea
Valencia smalling jones Rojo
Blind
Mata herrera fellaini Young
Falcao

Can see arsenal giving that sode the run around though we usually do well against arsenal.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 3:22 pm

All of those people that said Toure isn't that good for City anymore and should be sold. Laugh Just proven today how important he is. Controlled that midfield and got the 2 goals he has deserved for another good performance. Top class player that City need to keep hold of, they will regret it if they don't.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 3:24 pm

Good game, goal keepers the difference in the end.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 May 2015, 3:25 pm

One swallow does not make a Summer just like having one good game does not make a good season.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 3:26 pm

FootballLight wrote:All of those people that said Toure isn't that good for City anymore and should be sold. Laugh Just proven today how important he is. Controlled that midfield and got the 2 goals he has deserved for another good performance. Top class player that City need to keep hold of, they will regret it if they don't.

Don't agree, fabianski dropped his 2 shots in and swansea had plenty of possession, chances and got at city's back 4 very easily.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 17 May 2015, 3:30 pm

And hes under no pressure. Like saying Bradford are Champions of England cos they beat Chelsea

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 3:31 pm

Been impressed with cazorla in arsenals run, much more involved I this deeper role.

Think if we can get on top of him well be in with a good chance today.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 4:14 pm

Fair enough, this season hasn't been as good, but he has still shown glimpses this season of the quality he showed last season by being instrumental in that midfield and his job wasn't to protect that back 4 today anyway whoever brought that up, they had Fernandinho to do that for them.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 4:17 pm

Yes but in a 3 including lampard he needs to be aware of his responsibility in there.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 4:23 pm

Understandable yes however, he did his role well today, hence why the Swansea midfield couldn't live with him and with no disrespect to Swansea, yes its only Swansea but someone from City in that midfield had to step up today if they were to win that game and Toure did.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 May 2015, 4:33 pm

We look so much better going forward against a team that doesn't sit back.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 4:36 pm

That's obvious though. Gaps are more likely to open up when a team attacks against you and then your more creative players like Herrera, Mata etc can create chances and exploit them gaps. Got to say, poor tracking by Sanchez for the first goal.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 4:57 pm

Comfortable enough first half.

Need a second goal as phil Jones is trying his best o give one away.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 4:58 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:We look so much better going forward against a team that doesn't sit back.

Yeah, either arsenes tactics are terrible or he doesn't trust his defense to keep us out if he tries to sit and counter.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 17 May 2015, 5:01 pm

Arsenal can't be as bad this half so we need to lift it up a level and get another goal.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 17 May 2015, 5:35 pm

Final time for De Gea in a United shirt? Possibly.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=59056

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20