The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ?

+6
Dolphin Ziggler
seanmichaels
kingraf
Stella
Derbymanc
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ? Empty Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

Wife often tells me It was fate that led to me going to a party the night I was preferring to stay in and watch Boxing......It was "luck" !!

Me I just think I went to a party met a nice red head and ended up serving life...........

Had a car crash in Buxton years ago where If I hadn't of rebounded off the kerb and gone over it instead..... It would have been a 100 ft drop....Was that lucky ???

No I just hit the kerb in the right spot..............

Don't believe in outside factors guiding your life......Don't believe in luck...........Don't believe in fate ...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ? Empty Re: Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ?

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:50 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wife often tells me It was fate that led to me going to a party the night I was preferring to stay in and watch Boxing......It was "luck" !!

Me I just think I went to a party met a nice red head and ended up serving life...........

Had a car crash in Buxton years ago where If I hadn't of rebounded off the kerb and gone over it instead..... It would have been a 100 ft drop....Was that lucky ???

No I just hit the kerb in the right spot..............

Don't believe in outside factors guiding your life......Don't believe in luck...........Don't believe in fate ...
Not for your father-in-law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ? Empty Re: Do you believe in "luck" or "fate" ?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

I didn't feel lucky when he found out I'd written off his daughter's car !!

The 100ft drop didn't seem so bad...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Definitely believe in Luck Truss and used to strongly believe that where you ended up in life/death was where you was meant to, it was the journey that was changeable.

Have since revised that as fate is what you make of it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

Derbymanc wrote:Definitely believe in Luck Truss and used to strongly believe that where you ended up in life/death was where you was meant to, it was the journey that was changeable.

Have since revised that as fate is what you make of it.

Why do you believe in luck and not fate Derby............Don't want to get too deep......But..

Both suggest outside factors being involved............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

Not a problem bud,

Fate would suggest that your life is mapped out and nothing you can do will change what is going to happen.

Luck gives you options and therefore you still have some semblance of control. I always liked the explanation on Red Dwarf that Luck is a virus that you contract for a short period of time that makes life give you what you want.

Or Luck is an instinct.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

So, religious or not?

I'm on the fence.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:04 pm

Stella wrote:So, religious or not?

I'm on the fence.

???

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

Derbymanc wrote:
Stella wrote:So, religious or not?

I'm on the fence.

???

fate says god is playing a part, well it does to me.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

Oh I get you now, couldn't work out if you was asking me Very Happy

The problem I have with fate is that it generally leaves no room for maneouvre, the murderers were always going to be murderes etc.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:35 pm

You're religious Stella ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

Luck yes. Fate... no. Prefer to think I've got full autonomy on where my life goes. Met my girlfriend of a year because I forgot hand in an assignment, and then had to go to uni (and miss a day of work!!), and do some stupid stuff to catch up. My girlfriend had a similar thing to do, and you literally could have knocked me with a feather the moment I met her. Little lucky we both had memory lapses, as I'd never met her in my life, and never would again, I don't think. Fate though? I don't know.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're religious Stella ??

Not really. TBH, I don't know. I certainly don't believe God made the world, and that Adam & Eve met a snake and all that but.............
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm

kingraf wrote:Luck yes. Fate... no. Prefer to think I've got full autonomy on where my life goes. Met my girlfriend of a year because I forgot hand in an assignment, and then had to go to uni (and miss a day of work!!), and do some stupid stuff to catch up. My girlfriend had a similar thing to do, and you literally could have knocked me with a feather the moment I met her. Little lucky we both had memory lapses, as I'd never met her in my life, and never would again, I don't think. Fate though? I don't know.

Thing is though as I tell my red viper............ If I hadn't of gone to the party we never would have met and we'd never known we'd lost anything..........Instead I may have met another chick on another night settled down and been even happier.....(I left out the even happier bit Wink )

Would love to be able to see my parallel life had I watched Chavez-Rosario............

Then again maybe It's best not to know............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

No fate but the fate you make.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

Thing is there are different types of luck, I suppose. An opaque comparison, I admit, but AB de Villiers gives a great example of hitting the stumps from 80 yards out. It's not luck, because it's what you planned to do, but at the same time, it's not something you can reproduce on demand. So there must be an element of luck, in a sense.

Meeting someone you'd go on to spend a very long time with because you did something you had absolutely no intention of wanting to do is a little different. It's dumb luck, surely? I do get your point though. If you'd watched Chavez Rosario, you'd probably have just gone a little further down the road in life, and met someone else you wouldn't have otherwise met. So maybe just one of those things.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:25 pm

Luck is very intriguing. The Red Dwarf take on it was funny and you could kind of understand there being a science behind it, but I'm not so much in the science behind it rather than the looser feeling of how things could easily go one way or the other and its a bit out of your control then you get luck in some sense.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm

Don't really believe in either tbh

Fate indicates something external has mapped out our lives in advance and we are not in control of our own future - Think that is rubbish as explained earlier, the idea that murderers etc do what they do because that is the path chosen for them is daft - People are given choices throughout their lives, the decisions they make lead them one way or another, no decision point is intrinsically linked but how you respond to one may affect your choice when faced with another

Luck - To believe in this you must agree that there are 2 sides. Good and bad but what determines which card you are dealt - I refuse to believe that this exists, again we all get choices that set off events in our lives, retrospectively you can look back and decide if they gave positive or negative results but none of this is determined by 'luck' - Luck is a term used to help describe the impact of something but it doesn't actually exist

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:34 pm

"What's for you won't pass you by"

Probably the dumbest phrase in history
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

The definition of luck ..............Events beyond one's control that influence your life....

i still don't believe in it..............You do something consequences happen.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 3:57 pm

incontinentia wrote:"What's for you won't pass you by"

Probably the dumbest phrase in history
or "Luckily, fate had a part to play in the outcome" or "Fatally, luck had a part to play in the outcome"

I'm confused...it's my destiny

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 5:59 pm

That famous saying..." Thank goodness for bad luck without it I wouldn't know what luck is"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

Nothing in the future is written.  Yet surprisingly quite a lot of the future can be predicted - as the business of bookmaking and its success proves.

So what is Prediction?  An analysis of the past to help make a statistical analysis of the future.  
But still, why does it work?  Why does a perception of the past help judge the future if we can't know the future?

Well I think there actually IS a very interesting theory out there - or was a number of years ago - that the time we think we live in (the now) is actually a recording happening in the brain of true events that have taken place as much as, I seem to remember, 15 minutes previously.

That's a pretty weird theory to get your head around! - mainly because you've already got your head around it 15 minutes before you 'think' about it, and still can't work it out! Wink

But if there was a grain of truth in it, it might explain something of the concept of 'luck' and also that strange deja vu feeling you pick up when arriving into situations you can recall but have 'never experienced' before.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

Heard a similar theory before. Sounds a little off if I'm honest. For one, seems a little strange that everybody's brain is delayed by exactly the same length of time. Ie, if I'm in a room with 25 people, we all seem to see things exactly the same, so the info is relayed perfectly simultaneously for everyone? Could only work if the theory of solipsism was true, and the only that is definitely real is your mind.

Mind you, some very intelligent people believe in the holography theory which states that this life is but a hologram. A large scale projection, and nothing we see is really real. Like we're all characters in Grand Theft Auto, if you will.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

kingraf wrote:Heard a similar theory before. Sounds a little off if I'm honest. For one, seems a little strange that everybody's brain is delayed by exactly the same length of time. Ie, if I'm in a room with 25 people, we all seem to see things exactly the same, so the info is relayed perfectly simultaneously for everyone? Could only work if the theory of solipsism was true, and the only that is definitely real is your mind.

I'm not sure that IS necessary kingraf - and that's why it's probably so interesting - if a tad headwrecking.  

Time itself is malleable and distinctly the preserve of the individual.  None of us, even if we're born at the exact same 'time' and die at the exact same 'time' have lived perfectly symmetrical lives in actual time.  By moving, you slow down time, by going to higher altitudes you speed up time, and so on.  So over a lifetime, everyone lives in different time spaces but still communicate and cohabitate in a space they commonly call 'Now'.

Now I know those time differences are miniscule Wink but it still proves that we all live at different actual times even when we meet in a determined agreed common time.

Besides, the timing of the lapse between real time happening and the brain recording it back will hardly Be precisely the same for all people or even the same always for one person.  I'm sure it would be defined by external conditions, or diet or chemical metabolism speeds, or brain makeup.  And so it might still be workable for people to remember Real moments at different times.  So if a meeting took place between two people at 10.00 pm, then one person might be remembering that at 10.14 and the other might be remembering it at 10.16.  But they're both still remembering an event that happened at 10.00 pm.   So the synchronising of the delay is not required for the perception of reality to occur of a particular time.  In a sense is the theory not that we're all living in individual futures our brains can't compute but recalling our common collisions of the past that it can?

But you know what.  I still think I need to think a lot more about it ...in the future... !

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down