The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread

+8
Thomond
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
Number-25
TM Moot
BamBam
GSC
mikeygnfl
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread - Page 3 Empty NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 04 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

1st Round
Spoiler:

2nd Round
Spoiler:

3rd Round
Spoiler:

4th Round
Spoiler:

5th Round
Spoiler:

6th Round
Spoiler:

7th Round
Spoiler:

Last edited by mikeygnfl on Sun 03 May 2015, 1:06 am; edited 4 times in total
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread

Post by Number-25 Tue 05 May 2015, 11:08 am

Big surprise.... Dallas are reportedly interested and La'el Collins.

Of course they are.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread

Post by Thomond Tue 05 May 2015, 12:47 pm

Don't be codding yourself, everyone is interested in La'el Collins. It's just a matter of him being given the all clear.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 05 May 2015, 4:20 pm

Collins is apparently having dinner with Rex Ryan. That's be one hell of a tip! Ale cake egg coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Chef Bubbly Whisky NFL Draft 2015 discussion thread - Page 3 1347041234 picard

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 05 May 2015, 4:34 pm

Number-25 wrote:The more this draft goes on, the more I don't like what the Rddskins are doing. Now we've passed on some perfectly good Guard prospects to take a midget WR who will likely be too small to find a role and then we take a Guard who can't move once other teams have hoovered up all the decent prospects. But hey, McCloughan is a genius so you're not allowed to question him....

Let's agree to disagree. I agree with many pundits who have given the Skins a good grade overall. Should we have taken Williams? Debateable, but given we acquired a ton (literally) of DL talent in FA, would it have been a wasted opportunity? I suspect Mc wanted to take a trade and pick up Scherff a few spots lower but the offers weren't good enough. The Jets knew we had talked about trading so they would only worry if the trade actually happened and Williams was taken from under their noses. Besides, they were more likely looking at trading up fro Mariota than taking our pick. I like the pick, I'd have just liked to see us get more value out of picking 5th.

The rest? Well he did what he said he set out to - get 10 picks and address ST's, while getting bigger and more hard working at the same time. I'd happily go with a bunch of overachievers playing ST's than a bunch of primadonna's. Remember plenty of HOF players have come from that kind of background. I like the Crowder and Jones picks, because it gives us ST skills and depth at positions we didn't really have depth at. I like the OL draftees as they add a presumably starting RT and depth along the line, plus who knows what we can pick up in UFA's. Reminds me a lot of the draft Beatherd made when he put together the Hogs. If it all comes together, RGIII only needs to hand the ball off next season! Wink

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Tue 05 May 2015, 7:48 pm

skins4ever wrote:
Number-25 wrote:The more this draft goes on, the more I don't like what the Rddskins are doing. Now we've passed on some perfectly good Guard prospects to take a midget WR who will likely be too small to find a role and then we take a Guard who can't move once other teams have hoovered up all the decent prospects. But hey, McCloughan is a genius so you're not allowed to question him....

Let's agree to disagree. I agree with many pundits who have given the Skins a good grade overall. Should we have taken Williams? Debateable, but given we acquired a ton (literally) of DL talent in FA, would it have been a wasted opportunity? I suspect Mc wanted to take a trade and pick up Scherff a few spots lower but the offers weren't good enough. The Jets knew we had talked about trading so they would only worry if the trade actually happened and Williams was taken from under their noses. Besides, they were more likely looking at trading up fro Mariota than taking our pick. I like the pick, I'd have just liked to see us get more value out of picking 5th.

The rest? Well he did what he said he set out to - get 10 picks and address ST's, while getting bigger and more hard working at the same time. I'd happily go with a bunch of overachievers playing ST's than a bunch of primadonna's. Remember plenty of HOF players have come from that kind of background. I like the Crowder and Jones picks, because it gives us ST skills and depth at positions we didn't really have depth at. I like the OL draftees as they add a presumably starting RT and depth along the line, plus who knows what we can pick up in UFA's. Reminds me a lot of the draft Beatherd made when he put together the Hogs. If it all comes together, RGIII only needs to hand the ball off next season! Wink

Jets were never trading up for Leonard Williams. We were always going to let the draft come to us (Mariota notwithstanding) and take the best player.

Washington must not have rated Williams that highly. No way Stephen Paea and Ricky Jean-Francois should stop you from drafting the best player in the draft. That's how you remain one of the worst teams in the league. If they were drafting for need so much that Scherff leapfrogged Williams, why was Matt Jones picked in the 3rd Round? Alfred Morris is still a decent starter and there were plenty of other backs available a round or two later. It's not as if he's a pure receiving back to replace Helu.

Also, building your roster Special Teams first is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 05 May 2015, 10:27 pm

I didn't say ST's first, just that it was part of his plan. We were awful on ST's last 2 years, now we have another returner (maybe even take DJax off punts?) and better depth on both sides of the ball. And we addressed a pretty woeful OL. This doesn't fix everything (and 20 picks likely wouldn't do that!) but it does give us more building blocks than any draft we have had, arguably in the last 10 years.

Could we have gotten better value from the picks we had? Arguably yes, but we didn't end up with a ton of garbage either, by a long way.

PS I've spoken with college coaches, an ex-NFL ST's coach and some of the best coaches in the UK. All agree that ST's are a solid foundation for building a team. It gets rookies and margin players on the field, and gives them a constant opportunity to improve aspects of their play and impress towards moving up the depth chart. Even after roster moves are done and the season starts, a good showing on ST's is often the difference between a player getting cut during the season and staying on the roster. ST's are 1/3 of the game and shouldn't be overlooked for their importance in games and in building a roster.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 05 May 2015, 10:32 pm

STs probably won us more games than offense or defense last year
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 May 2015, 10:53 pm

We'll only draft mid-late round guys if they can play special teams essentially

Smart, quick guys - why wouldn't you want them on the roster depth chart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Wed 06 May 2015, 8:20 am

ST was the Packers stated main area for improvement this offseason, and the Pack draft reflects this.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 06 May 2015, 1:40 pm

I think NYJ's point isn't that special teams isn't important but it shouldn't be the main priority. Depends on where your team is at, and the players available as always I suppose. Special teams are important (kickoff returns will probably be gone soon though) for developmental guys in the later rounds and your undrafted fellas.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Wed 06 May 2015, 7:26 pm

Thomond wrote:I think NYJ's point isn't that special teams isn't important but it shouldn't be the main priority. Depends on where your team is at, and the players available as always I suppose. Special teams are important (kickoff returns will probably be gone soon though) for developmental guys in the later rounds and your undrafted fellas.

Yes. Always a fan of taking ST contributors in rounds 4-7 and players that are good kick returners always get a slight bump on my board.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 11 May 2015, 11:00 pm

I note Blake Sims is willing to try out at different positions to make the roster. Wonder what Pryor's problem is with doing this really? Pulling a Tebow?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3