The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical!

+6
SecretFly
Adam D
CaledonianCraig
Bull
JuliusHMarx
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical! Empty Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical!

Post by Guest Fri 27 Feb 2015, 5:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024

Not a massive fan of Star Trek by any means but appreciate his contribution to popular culture

Live Long and Prosper? He sure did!

Back to top Go down

Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical! Empty Re: Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

Directed Three Men and a Baby in 87.....................Which was the biggest film of that year.........Beating Fatal Attraction.......

Unfortunately one of Jo's faves along with Mamma mia and Titanic.........

So I've seen it about fifty times..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical! Empty Re: Leonard Nimoy dies...it's illogical!

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 27 Feb 2015, 6:12 pm

Fascinating.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Fri 27 Feb 2015, 7:08 pm

R.I.P rose rose

He is going to be missed! Thoughts with his family and friends.

Thank you for everything Nimoy! rose

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 27 Feb 2015, 7:16 pm

Tragic news this.

I remember as a young boy eagerly awaiting each episode of Star Trek at 7pm on a Friday night on BBC1. For almost an hour each week it transported me to another world and Leonard as Mr Spock (not Doctor Spock as the BBC are falsely reporting) picard really was immense. Surely, the most famous alien in film and television history.

RIP Leonard Nimoy
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 27 Feb 2015, 8:01 pm

He should never have put on that red short this morning.

In all seriousness, we have lost an icon. Thank you for all the great memories, Leonard.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 28 Feb 2015, 9:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Fascinating.
What a tribute.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:45 pm

Spock.  How do you be Spock?  In order to present the character, you have to be Leonard Nimoy.  That's how iconic the name and character of Spock is.  Leonard Nimoy was/is Spock.  You can't reboot him as less serious, more funny, more aggressive, less deep, bald, muscular, black or a woman  And so you get this uncanny performance from Zack Quinto whereby he obviously has the ears and hair but he also perfects the compete aura of Nimoy in the role.  He has his walk, his mannerisms, his speech pacing.  He's like a younger version of Nimoy himself.

Quinto and writers knew exactly what was required.  Don't change the part - be the real person, be Spock - who was also in turn Nimoy.  You can't separate Spock from Nimoy.

That was some decade - the 1960s.  Another of it's true icons passes away...but that distinctive voice remains:  It's Life Jim, but not as we know it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

SecretFly wrote:Spock.  How do you be Spock?  In order to present the character, you have to be Leonard Nimoy.  That's how iconic the name and character of Spock is.  Leonard Nimoy was/is Spock.  You can't reboot him as less serious, more funny, more aggressive, less deep, bald, muscular, black or a woman  And so you get this uncanny performance from Zack Quinto whereby he obviously has the ears and hair but he also perfects the compete aura of Nimoy in the role.  He has his walk, his mannerisms, his speech pacing.  He's like a younger version of Nimoy himself.

Quinto and writers knew exactly what was required.  Don't change the part - be the real person, be Spock - who was also in turn Nimoy.  You can't separate Spock from Nimoy.

That was some decade - the 1960s.  Another of it's true icons passes away...but that distinctive voice remains:  It's Life Jim, but not as we know it.

I totally agree.

I think it is fair to say that Spock is the most famous alien in the history of film and television known across all four corners of the globe. I was a character portrayed by Leonard Nimoy from 1966 and in his final big screen role (aptly enough) as Spock in the 2013 film Stark Trek Into Darkness. Star Trek was and still is an iconic series and within that Spock was an iconic character and I cannot imagine anyone else now in that role. Spock bonded the old crew together on screen and was highly-regarded among the actors that played those parts off-screen. What a loss.

RIP Leonard Nimoy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

He was in a good episode of Columbo where he was a murdering surgeon......

Had a love/hate relationship with shatner..............Who is notorious for being an a-hole.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

I've been a Trek fan since the early 70s - the initial re-runs in Canada on a black & white TV. I've even been to a couple of conventions, bought Nimoy's books etc.
My previous post is as heartfelt as any other, whether people understand it or not.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

Was never the greatest fan of Star Trek. Enjoyed it when I caught it, but never really made an effort. Nonetheless always enjoyed Nimoy as Spock. He played and personfied the role as well as one can.

Rest In Peace. Lived long and prospered
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

Just been reading about the abuse Shatner has been getting for not attending Nimoys funeral due to a charity engagement, bit unfair on him as Nimoy would have likely made the same choice.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

hampo171 wrote:Just been reading about the abuse Shatner has been getting for not attending Nimoys funeral due to a charity engagement, bit unfair on him as Nimoy would have likely made the same choice.

Yes perhaps.

However (and this is me as a Star Trek fan speaking) you do hear that Shatner has a not too nice side to him. I know he had a major falling out with George Takeii (Sulu), his friendship with the rest of the crew was a bit abrupt, also rumours are that he has a price of £30,000 on his kidney if anyone wants him to transplant it and charges absolutely obscene amounts of money for autographs and public appearances. Knowing that it then has you wondering whether this charity engagement is really so unbreakable as am sure those running this charity event would fully understand if he truly wanted to attend the funeral.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

Maybe, but he's in a no win situation as the press would print a story saying he ducked out on a charity engagement. Sadly it's the way the media work these days.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:11 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I've been a Trek fan since the early 70s - the initial re-runs in Canada on a black & white TV. I've even been to a couple of conventions, bought Nimoy's books etc.
My previous post is as heartfelt as any other, whether people understand it or not.

Don't worry. I'm sure a good few of us did.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

hampo171 wrote:Maybe, but he's in a no win situation as the press would print a story saying he ducked out on a charity engagement. Sadly it's the way the media work these days.

No sorry I have to disagree. If he has a funeral to attend nobody will go berate him if he pulls out of a charity event. Heck even if he was on a day of filming I am sure they'd allow him time off for such an event just as is the case at any job.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Directed Three Men and a Baby in 87.....................Which was the biggest film of that year.........Beating Fatal Attraction.......

Always liked Nimoy

but what drives a MAN to direct 3 Men and a baby????

1 of the worst films in cinamatic history

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:21 am

Three Men and a Baby > Napoleon Dynamite

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

Watching shaky mobile footage of ONETWO w*nking himself silly after making a "witty" comment on the boards > Napoleon Dynamite

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

DAVE667 wrote:Watching shaky mobile footage of ONETWO w*nking himself silly after making a "witty" comment on the boards > Napoleon Dynamite

mobile?????

More like I-PAD

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Directed Three Men and a Baby in 87.....................Which was the biggest film of that year.........Beating Fatal Attraction.......

Always liked Nimoy

but what drives a MAN to direct 3 Men and a baby????

1 of the worst films in cinamatic history

Profit? I'm sure his bank balance smiled.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

Rest in peace Lionel Nimrod.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

superflyweight wrote:Rest in peace Lionel Nimrod.  

disgusting

have some respect or don't post at all

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:03 pm

... because I'm sure it matters what an anonymous poster writes on an obscure internet forum.  

You need to redirect your outrage into more useful pursuits.  Read Colour in a book.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down