The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer

2 posters

Go down

Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer Empty Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2011, 6:23 pm

I was looking at the career of nearly-forgotten-man of 1990s boxing Michael Moorer. He's known primarily as the guy who won the title against a tired looking Holyfield, and losing it with his first defence to, of course, George Foreman.
George was chomping at the bit for a scrap with MM. In him, he saw a guy who didn't have the heart for a brawl.What I had forgotten was that, after the IBF had stripped George for failing to rematch Schultz, Moorer regained that belt.(He lost emphatically to Evander in their second fight).He rebooted his career with a fair amount of success but never regained enough form ,or desire, to become a contender.
If you count the WBO belt as a worthy one ( I don't, even though it seems to have gained cache and clout from about 2003) there is a claim for him to be a three belt champion. Not bad going, overall!
As alluded to above, his desire was often questioned.Seems there was a something in this,as Freddy Roach, who employed him as chief assistant coach for Hatton/Pacquiao, fired him for his "lack of concentration".
For those old enough to remember him, I would like to ask, is he deserving of being remebered as a second OR third tier champion?Before we start guffawing, I believe that Moorer's record stands head and shoulders over Bruno's, McCalls, and I think he would have given the 80s heavyweights(Tubbs, Pinklon Thomas, etc).ie. the Tyson victims, a beating (perhaps excepting Tony Tucker?)
Holyfield's amazing powers of recuperation are now widely understood to have been artificially encouraged.The fact that he "was ill" in their first fight, and "was better" in the second, with many knock-downs, I think is a bit whiffy, to say the least.
My feeling is that, like Floyd Patterson, if he had not moved up weights, he would be a strong contender for a long old reign at light-heavy.

Last edited by andygf on Sat 28 May 2011, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

Back to top Go down

Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer Empty Re: Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 May 2011, 6:26 pm

He doesn't beat a fit Tubbs...Too big and natural with a jab that owns him all night..same with a focused Page and Thomas and Witherspoon.

Moorer was good but you really didn't see as much of these guys as I did...Page, Tubbs etc when they were bothered were quality fighting machines and naturally as quick and two stone heavier...

You disrespect them...

As for Moorer an accomplished fighter especially at 175 who caught an off-night Holyfield..

Heavensake this guy struggled with Cooper...How is he going to beat Witherspoon???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer Empty Re: Magic but Mental Match-up With Michael Moorer

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 27 May 2011, 6:27 pm

To my knowledge Moorer never fought at Cruiserweight so is surely only a two weight champion?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 May 2011, 6:33 pm

In fairness to him he didn't see the point.....i'm sure guys like Warring, cole, deleon and Nelson would've been battered had he bothered..

Imagine Mcrory v Moorer...Be like watching a squirrel go under the wheel of somebody's car.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down