The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !!

+3
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !! Empty New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:20 pm

BBC - Con, Lab, Lib, Green, UKIP, Plaid, SNP....

ITV - Same as above............

SKY - Con v Lab.............

Seven parties..............What's the point !!

Might as well just scrap the things..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !! Empty Re: New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !!

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

Trying to call Cameron's (stupid) bluff.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !! Empty Re: New format proposed for 2015 Political debates !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

You think they'll happen ??

Can't see it myself..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm

Think it's all a crock of sh!t to be honest.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 23 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

Never understood why anybody would choose who to vote for on the strength of a manufactured debate.

There's a fairly clear delineation between the parties (except the Lib Dems who are neither one thing or the other) and it's not difficult to work out which party, if any, best represents your own preferences or if voting tactically, where that tactical vote should be laid.

Yet another example of real political debate and thought losing out to the lowest common denominator.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

superflyweight wrote:Never understood why anybody would choose who to vote for on the strength of a manufactured debate.  

There's a fairly clear delineation between the parties (except the Lib Dems who are neither one thing or the other) and it's not difficult to work out which party, if any, best represents your own preferences or if voting tactically, where that tactical vote should be laid.  

Yet another example of real political debate and thought losing out to the lowest common denominator.  

Whilst I agree.....I imagine that Cammy boy thinks..........Ed Miliband is a big drawback on the Labour vote and is worried those who like Labour but not him may be persuaded.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

It does not matter who you vote for the GOVERNMENT always wins

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

Congratultions on that observation OneTwo, I look forward to the tinfoil hat brigade getting int.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 26 Jan 2015, 11:31 am

A 7-way debate is just a bit daft IMO. Not sure it will work as a debate, becomes either a free-for-all, or more likely (because broadcasters - esp the BBC - will be mindful of trying to give each party roughly the same airtime so as not to be accused of bias) a succession of mini-speeches without anybody challenging anybody else on the specifics.

From that point of view it probably plays more into the hands of Miliband, who can carry on talking vagueries (apparently not a word, but you know what I mean) about cost of living crisis, etc. without having to actually spell out how he's going to fix things.

I'm not surprised though that Cameron wasn't keen on the debates in their original form. The fact is everybody would have expected him to trounce Milliband in them, so if he had no biggie, whilst Ed's personal ratings are so low that it couldn't have done much harm. In fact, I tend to think that the 2010 debates played against Cameron overall, for similar reasons (the consensus was of Gordon Brown not having much charisma, and Nick Clegg being a bit irrelevant). Moreover TV debates in general tend to favour the challenger over the front-runner, and whatever the opinion polls say, given the economic facts the Conservatives are the front runners.

Or rather they should be, if they stick to that pitch. But they seem hell-bent on getting distracted by things like Europe and immigration, and incapable of being honest or coherent about them, wanting to be both populist (Europe!! A world of excess!!! They're wasting your hard-earned money on fine wine and expensive dinners! As for immigrants, they're just taking advantage of our generous (well, OK less so than a lot of other European countries, but let's keep quiet about that) benefits system!) without damaging their economic credibility (actually both Europe and immigration have massive benefits for the economy). So they just come out as a confused rubble, and this dilutes their overall message (which should be an easy election winner).

All IMO of course.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 9:44 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927225/Now-ELEVEN-party-leaders-TV-debates-Labour-says-Northern-Ireland-s-party-s-spot.html#comments

Maybe even eleven parties can take part, not just seven!

Can I have a turn as well?!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

I'm in the swingers party............We haven't had an invite yet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm

How about the people who hate people party?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:48 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:How about the people who hate people party?

I think UKIP's presence is a given already...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down