The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1

5 posters

Go down

when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1 Empty when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Armstrong got a mention on another thread, reminded me i meant to post this a while back. The buffs on here will be familiar with this fight and the background, but I read this not long ago, its a few years old, and I found it a good piece on the background and the fight itself... its a three parter, so not a 10 second read.... Bit like your average chris post....

http://thecruelestsport.com/2012/08/30/until-the-real-thing-comes-along-the-night-henry-armstrong-made-history-against-lou-ambers-part-one/
http://thecruelestsport.com/2012/09/12/until-the-real-thing-comes-along-the-night-henry-armstrong-made-history-against-lou-ambers-part-two/
http://thecruelestsport.com/2012/09/28/until-the-real-thing-comes-along-the-night-henry-armstrong-made-history-against-lou-ambers-part-3/

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1 Empty Re: when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Cheers Milky, have not read this before so will have a look when I get home. Two terrific fighters.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1 Empty Re: when men were men.... armstrong ambers 1

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:30 pm

And, a bit like with a Chris post, can you provide a brief synopsis/summary??!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Toppy is too young to remember when Men were Men !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Whereas you re-acquaint yourself with the concept every weekend at the Oyster....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:And, a bit like with a Chris post, can you provide a brief synopsis/summary??!

Well toppy, the synopsis is on boxrec in terms of the result of the fight. This is a background piece on the build up to the fight and then the fight itself. Its a human interest story for those who have an interest in humans. I'm not as polite as chris so either read it or f.uck off Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Scandalous days when fighters like Armstrong, Beau Jack and the like left everything on the line so that unscrupulous promoters could rip them off.....

Remember reading how the great Louis who wasn't scared of any fighter would cower in the presence of these big promoters such was the power they exerted.....and I imagine it was the same for many......

Ike Williams was one of the few blacks that tried to manage himself......Kudos to him for that !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Way of the world back then Truss, stand up to the BS and the corruption you find yourself shut out like someone like Burley and get to watch fighters you have beaten get world title opportunities. Plenty to whine about with boxing nowadays but thankfully being denied a title shot because of your skin colour is not one of them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Rowley wrote:Way of the world back then Truss, stand up to the BS and the corruption you find yourself shut out like someone like Burley and get to watch fighters you have beaten get world title opportunities. Plenty to whine about with boxing nowadays but thankfully being denied a title shot because of your skin colour is not one of them.

Absolutely Mate and it's a great thing............Still think though that a good white fighter will earn plenty more than a good black one..

we aren't quite there yet...Mate !!............But it's close.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Fascinating fight and combined with the rematch, the powers that be did every they possibly could to stop him winning the title and then retaining it. I've read reports that suggest Ambers was at fault for as much fouling but with no repercussions and that the rounds deducted from Armstrong were harsh to say the least.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down