The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread

+17
Danny_1982
temporary21
Gerry SA
bradman99.94
Jahu
ListenUp
sirfredperry
slashermcguirk
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
summerblues
laverfan
It Must Be Love
Silver
HM Murdock
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 Empty Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Well the season will ignite come Monday. The first Slam of the year is almost upon us. Please post any news or tid bits on this thread. Even qualifying news Smile

I'll start with the seeds being announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30809412

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 6:57 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:If the draw pans out to seeding, Murray has zero chance of winning the Australian Open.

Yes like you were saying at US Open 2012 and Wimbledon 2013. I wonder who won those slams??
You mean when mental midget Murray lucked out by not having to face either Nadal or King Roger?

Murray has never have the talent to beat 2/3 of the top 3 in one Major.

Boy I can feel your hate coming through strong and clear. Rolling Eyes
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:03 pm

And just before you spout more bile Gerry SA, you are going on as if people here are painting Andy as some sort of favourite when they are not. Remember Andy is coming off the back off his worst year as a pro and trying to rebuild so your prediction that he won't win is probably accurate but your non-educated way of wording it is way off the mark.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm

HN, Agreed there, but I expect you will support me in wishing Djoko does not win it Laugh

On a more serious note, while Fed looks ok but old and tired, the other old top 3, are not up to their best game yet.

Go Delpo go Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 1054138444

PS: CC, has my wording this 2015, been more softer so far? Wink

Last edited by Jahu on Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

Far too early to write him off CC. I think from what I have read he is putting a lot of work in.. keep the faith stranger things have happened. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Jahu wrote:HN, Agreed there, but I expect you will support me in wishing Djoko does not win it Laugh

On a more serious note, while Fed looks ok but old and tired, the other old top 3, are not up to their best game yet.

Go Delpo go Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 1054138444

Its the beginning of the season Jahu and there wont be a player out there who is not trying to find their form.
As for Delpo (im so glad to see him back.. love his bones !!) he has a lot to do .. saying that there are still a few people he could upset along the way.  Djoko is not the certainty I once would have said in these present circumstances .. not after the last showing and he will be greatly affected by tight games in the heat imo. Having said that ..two weeks can be a long time in tennis !!!! and this is the exciting bit. Yahoo drumroll Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 3933776953 Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 3933776953 Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 3933776953 Australian Open 2015 News/Draw Thread - Page 2 3933776953

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:16 pm

Jahu wrote:

Softer? Not sure. Nuttier....definitely. Wink Hug
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm

All you need to say to Gerry is that Steyn is a club standard bowler and Vettel was lucky with his car. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

I would agree that its a very negative opinion, one of which I would say the evidence and many of us would disagree with.

Back to topic though, would people maybe hep out by putting up potential opponents round by round of the big guys? Ill see if I can figure out Rogers

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

Federer

R1: Yen-Hsun Lu
R2:Monaco/Bolelli
R3:Chardy
R4:Robredo/Karlovic/Kyrgios
QF:Murray
SF:Nadal
F:Djokovic

A brute of a draw, right from the off. Id say only R2 would be particularly easy.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:05 pm

Murray's potential route:-

1st Round Qualifier

2nd Round Marinko Matosevic (Ranked 80)

3rd Round Martin Klizan (Ranked 34)

4th Round Grigor Dimitrov (Ranked 11)

QF Roger Federer (Ranked 2)

SF Rafa Nadal (Ranked 3)

FINAL Novak Djokovic (Ranked 1)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:And just before you spout more bile Gerry SA, you are going on as if people here are painting Andy as some sort of favourite when they are not. Remember Andy is coming off the back off his worst year as a pro and trying to rebuild so your prediction that he won't win is probably accurate but your non-educated way of wording it is way off the mark.
Nope nothing wrong with my level of education, but thanks for your concern Craig.

It's funny when you spout various random stats and figures, often arguing from the rooftops they are correct. Yet I merely pointed out Murray's never beaten more than one of the Big 3 at a Major(a proven fact), you throw a big time hissy... Doh

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:And just before you spout more bile Gerry SA, you are going on as if people here are painting Andy as some sort of favourite when they are not. Remember Andy is coming off the back off his worst year as a pro and trying to rebuild so your prediction that he won't win is probably accurate but your non-educated way of wording it is way off the mark.
Nope nothing wrong with my level of education, but thanks for your concern Craig.

It's funny when you spout various random stats and figures, often arguing from the rooftops they are correct. Yet I merely pointed out Murray's never beaten more than one of the Big 3 at a Major(a proven fact), you throw a big time hissy... Doh
ENOUGH, please.

Anyone care to upload Rafas possible route?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

As he is the defending champion, its only fair to show Stans route, hopefully I wont make a pigs ear of this.

R1:Marsel Llhan
R2:Pablo Andujar
R3:Cuevas/Golubev/Nieminen
R4:Fognini/Garcia Lopez/Dolgopoloz/Querrey/Posposil (quite a packed section)
QF:Nishikori/Ferrer
SF:Djokovic
F: Federer/Nadal/Murray

Starts to get tough R4 afterwards.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

The problem is Gerry your hate cloud your thought processes. Murray's slam wins have both come against the World No.1 of the time - Novak Djokovic. Now when Roger won his first slam it came against the World No.48 (or thereabouts) in Marc Phililippousis in the 2003 Wimbledon final and beat No.5 seed Andy Roddick in the semi. His second slam win came at the 2004 Australian Open when he beat No.3 seed Juan Carlos Ferrero in the semi and World No.77 Marat Safin in the Final so what exactly is your point?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

The problem is Gerry your hate cloud your thought processes. Murray's slam wins have both come against the World No.1 of the time - Novak Djokovic. Now when Roger won his first slam it came against the World No.48 (or thereabouts) in Marc Phililippousis in the 2003 Wimbledon final and beat No.5 seed Andy Roddick in the semi. His second slam win came at the 2004 Australian Open when he beat No.3 seed Juan Carlos Ferrero in the semi and World No.77 Marat Safin in the Final so what exactly is your point?
Take this to PM, both of you please. This is for discussion of the draw, not a spat between two posters, I dont want to have to start editing or moving stuff, please.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

Rafa's route is as follows:-

1st Round Mikhail Youzhny

2nd Round Luke Saville

3rd Round Lukas Rosol

4th Round Kevin Anderson

QF Tomas Berdych

SF Roger Federer

FINAL Novak Djokovic
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm

Jahu wrote:Gerry, in a bit of Andy bashing mood?

Don't worry, no one is expecting Andy to win this AO, not even his ladies.

Quite right. I'm not expecting it.

I would like him to beat Dimitrov, and at best beat Fed and then get close to another of the top guys.... But beat 3 of those guys in a row? After last years form? No way.

Just a tournament that shows he's getting better again will do me.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:20 pm

Why do I feel that there may well be a lot of egg  going begging this tournament. How confident every is  Erm ..me Im taking a back seat Tumbleweed

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Tomic and Kyrgios are both in the bottom half of the draw, they could do some damage for the home team. Tomic has had a few good tournaments here now despite his general wastefulness, could be a dangerous player.

Seeds 9-16 do seem very weak overall, Ferrer and Dimi aside - maybe that's why people are feeling confident. Still, who knows?

I'd be amazed if Murray got through Federer, and equally so if the latter got past Nadal - but I would never put money on it. All these guys are just too good on their day.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:58 pm

Silver - I don't think he'll get through Federer either. My point is he needs a big win to show he's at least on his way back.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 16 Jan 2015, 11:00 pm

Agreed Danny. I think beating Dimi convincingly and then putting up a real fight against Federer would augur well going forward, I hope it happens.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 16 Jan 2015, 11:32 pm

Silver wrote:Tomic and Kyrgios are both in the bottom half of the draw, they could do some damage for the home team. Tomic has had a few good tournaments here now despite his general wastefulness, could be a dangerous player.

Seeds 9-16 do seem very weak overall, Ferrer and Dimi aside - maybe that's why people are feeling confident. Still, who knows?

I'd be amazed if Murray got through Federer, and equally so if the latter got past Nadal - but I would never put money on it. All these guys are just too good on their day.

Exactly Silver the point Im trying to make.. how anyone can be that confident I do not know. Would anyone have expected Rosol to beat Nadal first round at Wimbers, or Soderling to beat him at the French Open.. indeed for a qualifier i.e Boris Becker to win Wimbledon... how can anyone be confident enough to predict the outcome of this tournament belies belief.  There are so many prospective "no hopers" who have nothing to  lose.  Did anyone expect Karlovic to beat Novak recently no !!!!? Yes the whole topic  is up for debate but the confidence of such posters who state categorically that such and such a player will not win is beyond me

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:41 am

Kyle Edmund qualifies for the Australian Open winning a marathon third set 9-7 but Liam Broady misses out losing in straight sets to Michael Russell.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

Even better GB news (albeit not directly related to this thread) is that Heather Watson won her 2nd career title. I don't think she dropped a set.

Shame Broady couldn't make it as well but Russell is vastly experienced.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 17 Jan 2015, 10:29 am

Great week for British tennis. Watson, Edmund, Ward all doing well. 4 Brits to watch in a slam outside SW19.... Very Happy

Shame for Broady, but it's still a step forward for him.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 17 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

Apparently it is the first time since 2002 that three British men have played in the Australian Open singles.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:09 am

ListenUp wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Well I do recall people saying Murray had a stinker of a draw at Wimbledon a couple of years ago and that opened up nicely for him and do believe the same thing happened for Roger at Wimbledon last year.
So they did, and so it did - you can't predict what shocks and upsets will happen along the way. Makes it all the more exciting. Very Happy

Melzer v Darcis in final round of qualies - shame, they are both people I'd like to see in the main draw. If Steve wins, Jurgen would be first in line for a Lucky Loser spot should one come up - that is, if I've got it right that it's done on ranking here, not like at Wimbledon where they do a draw (4 out of the top 6 last year, and the highest ranked wasn't one of the 4)

And good luck to Liam & Kyle. Fingers Crossed

Good post. Federer has the toughest draw, Novak and Nadal more routine. Can't wait for the season to start in earnest. But I echo what others have said that a couple of upsets can open up the draw for any of them and anyone can step up on their given day and give you a heck of a fight.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 18 Jan 2015, 7:38 am

Sadly, Juan Martin del Potro has pulled out of the Australian Open. Worryingly, he says the left wrist has been troubling him which he still received treatment for. He thinks this is the smart move and believes it may aid him to have a fuller season. I wish him well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 18 Jan 2015, 7:47 am

One has to wonder if this is the end for the big man. His body may not be able to put up with the grind of tennis season. Also I think he needs to rethink his equipment and stringer looser and not use 100 poly on his strings. Mix in some gut, go a little looser but that is a big change that he will have to adjust to.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 18 Jan 2015, 7:58 am

Yes I have my concerns as well. Fingers crossed for him but this is a blow considering he has only played three matches before the wrist problem has resurfaced. You may,be correct about change of equipment and may be worth trying but I really fear it will be too little too late.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 18 Jan 2015, 1:13 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
Jahu wrote:Gerry, in a bit of Andy bashing mood?

Don't worry, no one is expecting Andy to win this AO, not even his ladies.

Quite right. I'm not expecting it.

I would like him to beat Dimitrov, and at best beat Fed and then get close to another of the top guys.... But beat 3 of those guys in a row? After last years form? No way.

Just a tournament that shows he's getting better again will do me.

But last years form, with the wonderful benefit of hindsight, was largely down to justified doubts about fitness, leading to mental doubts and then doubts about whether the coaching staff were up to it. It's amazing he still managed to reach all the slam quarters with all this in his head Wink

I don't think Murray's got enough credit for just trying to compete, even though he was miles from his three peers.

Now he's fully fit, mentally competent and happy with his team - it's whole new ball game, could be as much as a 10% improvement, who knows

With fitness doubts about Nole and Nadal, his main worry is of course Roger. However, they meet after five rounds of five set tennis outdoors, not after three indoors.

I actually think he's a chance, if feel just like a did before Wimbledon 2013, where if you remember his form wasn't great and his fitness questioned. Certainly I expect him to be very competitive and if he loses in five to say Fed or even Dimi, then fine

We will see!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 18 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

But he won queens before wimby no?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 18 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

I am with Danny here. I would be happy with a solid QF or Semi spot with a semblance of better form and consistency - in essence a platform to build on. He has played a handful og matches this year and okay he has been solid enough but now the real action begins.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 18 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm

Shame about Delpo. I was surprised he was even thinking of playing as he himself had said he was not quite ready, but it is still disappointing.

Such a promising career so impacted by injuries.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Journalists are funny. On the AO site a tagline says "Stan the Man is firmly established in the world's top four as he prepares to defend his crown".

Rather odd, given that Stan the Man could well be out of top 10 in two weeks, and the only way he can possibly stay in top 4 is if he defends the title (and even then it is not guaranteed).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm

Indeed poor Delpo. The man can't seem to catch a break at the moment with injuries. You look at him and even Soderling and wonder what could've been without the injuries.

Looking at the ladies you have to wonder how Laura Robson will bounce back from her wrist injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

I think you will see from this article.. the media likes to blow things out of proportion .. that it is not a further injury as such. He was not fully prepared for the tournament having still been experiencing pain and discomfort. He had said previously that his doctor told him he would not be harming the wrist in any way.
He has made a decision because of it knowing he will not be able to give it his best and wants to prepare himself better for the rest of the season.. I dont think it is anything to be alarmed about.. Its Delpo being cautious who can blame him Very Happy

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/30869165

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 18 Jan 2015, 9:09 pm

Really disappointed Juan Martin del Porto's injured again. Sadly I think it's the end of the line. Only so much rehab you can do before you finally said enough is enough. That said his US Open victory will go down as one of the great performances in Major history. Destroying Nadal and then matching Federer and dethroning him in an epic match.  Showed more in that victory than a certain 2 time joke Major winner.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Jan 2015, 9:27 pm

Rolling Eyes

Here let me wipe that bullcr@p from your mouth OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 18 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Really disappointed Juan Martin del Porto's injured again. Sadly I think it's the end of the line. Only so much rehab you can do before you finally said enough is enough. That said his US Open victory will go down as one of the great performances in Major history. Destroying Nadal and then matching Federer and dethroning him in an epic match.  Showed more in that victory than a certain 2 time joke Major winner.

Do you ever read previous posts he is not injured AGAIN read the article.. media hype Its not the end of the line either.. Jobs comforter !!!! picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ListenUp Sun 18 Jan 2015, 10:12 pm

Where's Ash Barty? I've just realised she's not in the doubles draw, and she wasn't in the qualies.

Edit: Looked her up and read she's taking an indefinite break. It started after the US Open, and that had completely passed me by. What a shame - I remember she was going to be the next big thing in Australian tennis. But I suppose it just wasn't happening for her, in singles anyway.

ListenUp

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 18 Jan 2015, 10:37 pm

Gerry SA wrote: Showed more in that victory than a certain 2 time joke Major winner.
Gosh you seem so angry with Murray.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 19 Jan 2015, 11:37 am

Gerry and Hawkeye should get married and having a Murray hating child together so for generations to come we can enjoy interesting Anti-Murray takes on the game of tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2