The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa vs West Indies test Series

+11
ShankyCricket
Galted
Pal Joey
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
msp83
Biltong
KP_fan
VTR
freemo
kingraf
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  - Page 2 Empty South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Well, not much spoken of it here, and I suppose with good reason. The Windies are a shadow of their former selves. At full strength, it would be hard to make a case for them winning a game, but with both Bravos out, and Gayle out, I assume they're on a hiding to nothing.

Still though, Taylor and Roach should fancy themselves in the friendliest country for fast bowling, and Braithwaite and Chandepaul should at times provide resistance.

From a South African standpoint, Duminy is out, which gives Stiaan van Zyl a long awaited chance to prove his mettle.

South Africa likely XI
Elgar
Petersen
Amla
Du Plessis
AB de Villiers
De Kock
van Zyl
R. Peterson
Philander
Steyn
Morkel

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by KP_fan Sat 20 Dec 2014, 6:52 pm

shambolic test match,much like the last 2 shows of Ind in tests in Eng
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by freemo Sat 27 Dec 2014, 11:55 am

windies got Faf now the rain's returned, and they have taken early lunch

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 11:14 am

Final test underway.
Simon Harmer, a player I have been looking forward to seeing in the SA side makes his test debut, and has made an impact already, getting the set Devin Smith last ball before lunch. West Indies 80-2. Kraigg Brathwaite was out to Dale Steyn, and now everything should be down to Samuels and Chanderpaul as always.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

Harmer gets his 2nd as a set Leon Johnson goes. Chanders and Samuels together, WI 158-3.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

Harmer gets 3 and this time its the big one of Shiv Chanders!. A smart stumping from AB!. And Marlon Samuels had given it away to the parttimer van Zil, WEst Indies in big trouble at 172-5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 7:30 pm

West Indies recovered to 276-6 at stumps thanks to skipper Denesh Ramdin's 53 and Jermaine Blackwood's unbeaten 45. They will be very disappointed with all the missed opportunities with all those 40s and 50s and would hope Blackwood can convert the start into something more substantial and that the lower order would offer some resistance.
Good first day in test cricket for Simon Harmer, took 3 important wickets, and kept the runs down.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

Good day, I must say. Table mountain really does look good behind the ground, and you really can smell the brewery when the wind changes.

Anyway, Probably even honours today,the Windies can be pretty disappointed to have had four or five starts but no centuries. If we can limit them to 300, then I think it's better than par. Samuels got out to an absolute pie from Van Zyl, Smith probably shouldn't have been cutting balls that full (I was seated square, and haven't seen the highlights, so I don't know if it turned or no). Steyn also passed Ntini as our second leading wicket taker, which is a massive mark for him. Only 29 from the Pollock mark, so he could be the leading wicket taker by the end of the India tour. Interested to see where Steyn goes from here. Think this might be his last world cup (certainly think it's Morkel's last), we're running out summers to see this peak specimen in full flight.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 02 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

What do people think of Harmer's action? Didn't watch a lot but looked a bit dodgy to me.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

Well, he wears a long sleeve, so by law deserves suspicion, but I think it's fine. There's a definite bend in it, but I don't think he extends it, greatly which if I recall, is the issue
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm

That's from past matches I've seen from him, don't know how he bowled today, as I can't tell if >15 degrees from eighty metres away
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

you were at the venue today?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:12 pm

Yip, been to every single day of cricket so far since the first test
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

Fell asleep before tea when 4 runs were scored in half an hour. Might have been something to do with the commentary though. Incredibly boring. H.D. Ackerman takes the cake.

Just goes to show you the dire state of WI cricket when van Zyl grabs a wicket first ball... what does he bowl? 115 km/h? Please.
Harmer shown far too much respect as well. Too fast to really get any real proper turn and the sunglasses says it all really.

Think I'll be watching some local hit & giggle instead tonight. That was painful.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

To be fair to Harmer, he's at the very least better than Hussey with the ball... and Mike has SEVEN wickets
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

Not Harmer, van Zyl
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm

Mike Hussey?
Van Zyl is more like Ellyse Perry... but that wouldn't be fair on her! She's certainly more interesting to watch.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:49 pm

Well... she's probably nicer to watch then every male cricketer currently going
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm

Smile

You're right about the beautiful scenery from Newlands. I felt hungry watching the smoke billow from the brai with the stunning mountain backdrop.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

It is really a beautiful place Cape Town. But it's so damn slow... Every day seems like one long prelude to the next. Great for holidaying, but living here would drive me insane.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

kingraf wrote:It is really a beautiful place Cape Town. But it's so damn slow... Every day seems like one long prelude to the next. Great for holidaying, but living here would drive me insane.

You need to get yourself over here, mate. The pace of life would suit you I reckon.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm

Ja I've definitely been giving it some thought recently. The Melbourne or Sydney segment during the third test definitely piqued my interest more than it should have.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 Jan 2015, 10:51 pm

They do that thing every year.

I think all the Sydneysiders are away from their iphones (for an instant) when they do those polls.
Still, if it makes the Vics feel better about themselves; then good on them.

My advice is this:

Melbourne is probably a more liveable and close-knit city... easy to get around and excellent sporting facilities.
If you have to compare it with a US city it's like a Chicago or Boston. Quite conservative but also quirky and exciting.

Sydney has a fantastic lifestyle too but is more difficult to get around and more extroverted in character. SCG has a real buzz around it too.
It's probably more like a cross between SF and LA... with a more brazen NY mentality.

I love them both. In fact, all the capital cities have unique and appealing characters and are fun to live in or visit.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm

Haha I know the feeling, same thing seems to happen every time Joburg vs Cape Town polls are had. I can only assume it's because everyone in Joburg is busy working, while the Capetonians don't mind taking their eyes off Table Mountain for the two seconds it takes to vote.

A mate who's been compared Joburg to LA, with New York hustle without the sea... or any non man made water areas really. Cape Town is like Cincinattti, with an ocean view and a hint of 90s New York gang violence, and a dash of Southern State racism. Interesting how tourists and extended visitors can have differing views on the same city. Most tourists I've spoken to at clubs speak of how unfriendly Joburg is in comparison to Cape Town, while most of the people who've moved here from the coast think the exact opposite. Having lived in Joburg forever, nothing could top it in terms of difficulty to get around. It's a procession of tears! Not so much traffic, but it's a rather big city, and minibus taxis do take liberties which seem like kamikaze missions.

Probably gonna have to make trip to Aus beforehand, with the exception of poorly thought out African road trips, I'm not one for looking before you leap, but certainly an option is Aus. From your description though, probably Sydney. Don't mind difficulty getting around, hell, living in Centurion, it's a roadtrip just to get to decent mall!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 03 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

West Indies bowled out for 329 in their first innings. Jermaine Blackwood became the latest batsman who couldn't build on a good start when he was out for 56. Dale Steyn finished with 4 wickets. Jason Holder, who's 23 got his side pass 300, then struck on the stroke of lunch, trapping Dean Elgar LBW as SA went to lunch at 48-1.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:09 pm

Amla and ABdeVilliers going steadily, passed the 50 partnership. Deficit now 122 with 7 wickets in hand.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 03 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm

Faf du Plessis went for 68, but the struggling Alviro Petersen missed out after a start, run-out for 42. Amla and AB are well set, Not looking good for WI as SA went to stumps at 228-3......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

Need 115 to win the series 2-0. There was another calypso collapso, with Samuels having the type of dismissal which leads to the entire cricket community sh.itt.ing on one's head. Steyn was Steyn, big bowling performance when needed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

WI will lose tomm....who cares....that's why they are no.8 and India will duly join them at no.7 shortly

Former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd has said that West Indies cricket has been "messed up" by the T20 format, creating a situation where playing Tests for the country did not seem to be a paramount goal for players.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

Alviro Petersen announces reitrement from international cricket

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 06 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Hmm, probably jumped, but encouraged by the success of Van Zyl (who by trade is a #3 who can open), and the fact that the batting pipeline is rather clogged.

Amla gave an interesting take on the bowling attack, stating that they were amazing, but it might be time to start looking at heirs to the throne. Dale Steyn is of course a freak outlier, but he's turning 32 this year, and has two probably three years max left. Morkel is a necessary battering ram who creates wickets for other bowlers, and even though his wickets have dried up recently, Philander remains a vital cog of the set up. By the end of the year, the entire pace trio will be 30+. A guy like Hardus Viljoen is young, and deserves a test shot. He's also blitz fast. Same as Merchant de Lange who's body seems to have stopped rebelling.

As for the West Indies, well they lost, but lots of positives to take from here. Shannon Gabriel, once he tightens his technique up a bit, will be a very good bowler. As will Jason Holder, who I think is the find of the tour for them. He's a real metronome, in the Glenn McGrath mould. Would be mildly amusing if after years of seeking an heir to the babylon era, their first good bowler in twenty years is a McGrathesque bowler. They may not beat England in a few months (still prone to shocking collapses), but expect a fight from these boys. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think the Windies should apply a good riddance attitude to the presumed axings of Bravo, Pollard and Sammy. While maybe a little sorry for Sammy as he's a try hard, none of them are ODI quality. Especially Pollard, who for all his talents simply can't pace an innings
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 09 Jan 2015, 6:30 pm

Holy sh.it. Chris Gayle is putting on light show of note.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 09 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

then he gets out with a tame reverse paddle...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Fri 09 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

Imran Tahir bowled well tonight

Rabada to bowl out here, sadly for him Gayle took him to pieces

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 09 Jan 2015, 11:34 pm

Steve Smith has declared overnight. Think he's overcompesated for last week's critical and now cue him losing the match.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 09 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

Wrong thread
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 09 Jan 2015, 11:50 pm

I know.

Not surprising to see WI give SA a jolly good pasting. They really do struggle at home.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:17 am

Wasn't our first choice by any means. Morne van Wyk is probably third choice keeper in T20... Of the team that played, only Faf, Miller And Tahir make a regular squad. We did well to drag it to the final over, because Gayle just thrashed us in the first ten overs. The ground simply wasn't big enough! Not sure if we'll pick the first team at the Wanderers, I'd hope so, cause I have tickets. Still, there are positives. It's worrying though, we haven't played with anything resembling our first XI since the World T20, and before that you'd have to go back pretty far.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

David Miller just hit one into the golf course. It's the biggest hit I've seen at the Wanderers since Ricky Ponting's graphite enforced bat cleared the roof nearly ten years ago
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sun 11 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

he's run out now...

but 127 -3 in the 11th.... 200 should be a certainty from here

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

Andre Russell is such a rank cricketer. Can't believe he's made a living off this filth
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 2:30 pm

Ton up for Francois du Plessis
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm

Gayle has his skates on again today...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 11 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

This has been sensational entertainment from both sides.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 3:55 pm

We're gonna lose... This is shocking. Even with a second string bowling attack. we have to defend 231
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

61 off 38 needed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

Unbelievable!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm

Kyle Abbott got properly Mick Lewis'd.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

West Indies fail to lose despite giving their all for the cause!.
Chris Gayle with some help from Marlon Samuels had done too much damage for the rest of them to fluff it as usual!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

To be completely honest, I'm not too disappointed at the loss the Wanderers is a lightning fast ground and the pitch was glass flat. The West Indies when they get it right are the best team in the world. Hence them being world champions. What is scary is that Kyle Abbot, having bowled four overs worth 68 runs is heading into the World Cup as the sole specialist Death bowler

On another note, the Wanderers, holding the record for the highest Scoring One day match of all time, now holds the record for the highest scoring T20 of all time.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

West Indies Aren't the world champs, its Sri Lanka.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next