The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection

2 posters

Go down

Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection Empty Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection

Post by Steffan Sun 30 Nov 2014, 4:59 pm

Few may know it but Marciano started his ultimately amazing career in Wales.
A handful of Marciano's first fights were in Wales while the 'Brockton Blockbuster' was stationed in south Wales during World War II.
The heavyweight hero was a GI in the United States Army - and one of Marciano's first fights was against a man who himself went on to be a sporting great.

Former Welsh rugby captain Dr Jack Matthews fought the now immortal Marciano at RAF St Athan air base in the Vale of Glamorgan in 1943.
Dr Matthews, a member of Wales' Grand Slam-winning side of 1950, remembered: "I was part of the boxing team of the Welsh National School of Medicine at Cardiff University.

"We went to St Athan to box the RAF team and Marciano was in the team.
"As I climbed into the ring inside the St Athan gym, his team-mate told me 'Rocky has knocked out his last six opponents.'
"I replied 'well, he won't make it seven.' And I was true to my word!"

Only six professional challengers took Marciano, who was known as the greatest slugger in boxing history, the full distance - but a 23-year-old Matthews did too.
"It was a four-round contest and no winner was declared," recalled the Welshman, a man famed for his bone-crunching tackles.
"I can't remember much about the fight, I don't think about it. It's just something I did.

Marciano turned pro in 1947 and defeated Jersey Joe Walcott to become undisputed heavyweight champion of the world in September 1952.
Unbeaten Marciano won 43 of his 49 professional fights by way of knock-out and kept his world crown until his retirement in 1955. 
Dr Matthews, one-time doctor to the British Boxing Board of Control, went on to tour New Zealand with the British and Irish Lions in 1950 and won 17 caps in the centre for Wales after the war.

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection Empty Re: Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection

Post by oxring Sun 30 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

Fine article. You reminded me of an interesting quirk in boxing history.

Welsh rugby is the richer for Jack Matthews, a highly talented sportsman, choosing rugby over boxing/athletics.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection Empty Re: Dr Jack Matthews - Rocky Marciano's little-known Welsh connection

Post by Guest Tue 02 Dec 2014, 8:06 pm

The only thing that is known for sure is that rocky indeed came to Wales at that time.I have heard different versions of this alleged incident, one of which was that Rocky got licked. Myself, I think that was balls and the apparently referenced anecdote above I would also take with a massive pinch of salt.
Reminds me of when I read a book by George Plimpton, with an anecdote about someone beating JL Sullivan....in private with no witnesses!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down