The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 IRB player of the year

+29
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
Hound of Harrow
nganboy
BigTrevsbigmac
ME-109
lostinwales
FecklessRogue
TJ
theslosty
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
Sin é
Biltong
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
George Carlin
fa0019
GoodinTightSpaces
TightHEAD
kingraf
Bullsbok
Submachine
boomeranga
GunsGerms
quinsforever
thebandwagonsociety
asoreleftshoulder
The Saint
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who will win POTY?

2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 14 ]
2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 18 ]
2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 11 ]
2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 55

2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Empty 2014 IRB player of the year

Post by The Saint Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

The nominees have just been announced, only 1 of the 5 candidates is from the NH.

Julian Savea (NZ)
Willie Le Roux (SA)
Jonathan Sexton (Ire)
Brodie Retallick (NZ)
Duane Vermeulen (SA)

That's a pretty hot list and I find it difficult to pick just one. Good luck Sexton!

Last edited by The Saint on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a poll)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

2014 IRB player of the year - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 IRB player of the year

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

The Saint wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I dont. DuPreez is a one trick pony. Box kick, box kick, box kick behind a massive pack.

I would have agreed with you before, but I think that's being overly harsh. That said, he certainly isn't the best scrum half SA have had and certainly wasn't the best No.9 in the world during his career.

Laugh

Whilst I have to admit I was never a Fourie du Preez fan, he was heavily touted as the best halfback in world rugby during his prime.

You can ask any SH supporter and they will tell you.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 4:54 pm

Why though? Exactly what was so good about him? SH supporters just think that because in '09 SA were rugby championship winners and he was one of SA's stand out players in a team full of stand out players.

However, if you really examine what he offers as a player, as a scrum half I have never understood the hype. Dont get me wrong box kicks are hard to do and he is very good at them especially behind a really good pack but I dont think there is any comparison to what BOD did for Ireland that unbeaten grand slam winning year.

Also in '09 there werent that many decent scrum halves around. FFS Jimmy Cowen was the ABs scrum half and Genia was only a sub for Aus back then and Luke Burgess was the starter.

"You can ask any SH supporter and they will tell you."

Its no wonder everyone thought DuPreez was great, the standard of SHs was quite poor that year in the SH.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 4:59 pm

Its like how SH fans used to pipe on about how good Pierre Spies was for years but no one really understood why they thought he was good.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:30 pm

Don't as me Guns, as I said I have never been a fan of his, and I am not talking about 2009 only, his prime was 2007 - 2009 until he got injured.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Why though? Exactly what was so good about him? SH supporters just think that because in '09 SA were rugby championship winners and he was one of SA's stand out players in a team full of stand out players.

However, if you really examine what he offers as a player, as a scrum half I have never understood the hype. Dont get me wrong box kicks are hard to do and he is very good at them especially behind a really good pack but I dont think there is any comparison to what BOD did for Ireland that unbeaten grand slam winning year.

Also in '09 there werent that many decent scrum halves around. FFS Jimmy Cowen was the ABs scrum half and Genia was only a sub for Aus back then and Luke Burgess was the starter.

"You can ask any SH supporter and they will tell you."

Its no wonder everyone thought DuPreez was great, the standard of SHs was quite poor that year in the SH.

Are you actually serious Shocked  Like actually properly . Du Preez was touted as the best in the world long before 2009 . Ask England world cup 2007 team and they;ll tell you . Du Preez in top form single handedly dominated teams 2009 was a good year for him sure , but the World Cup two years before that was FDP at his irrepressible best . Actually you seem to discount Du Preez because he played behind a springbok pack. That doesnt make his deeds any less great seeing as he usually performed them against the very best in the world
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

Vermuelens was consistently good in the RC and Retallick, Savea have been solid. I would have Aaron Smith in there, easily the best 9 in the business. Nothing you'd want more in a 9.
Hav'nt seen enough of Sexton but was excellent vs the Boks. Not usually a fan cos he keeps bottling vs the ABs, last years pressure kick to put the game away a straight case of nerves. Never does against us what he did last week though...was impressive.
Kurandrani has been a strong performer for oz. Always breaks the line and a handful for anyone.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

To be fair to Du PreeZ, he was the standout player for the Bulls in their 2009 S14/15 season where they basically destroyed everyone they faced. Was pivotal in the Lions series victory, and basically box kicked NZ to death three times(!) in a year.

HEC vs Super 15
6N vs 3N (which includes the last 3-0 sweep over NZ)
Lions defeat... vs Lions win. I'd say its a debate worth having.

Also, I don't think anyone actually thought Pierre Spies was good, they just thought he could be good. 6'4, 240lbs, 10.7s 100m time, can do pull-ups with 60kg on his back for reps. Elite athlete. Pity he was merely a ruck inspector..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

Taylorman wrote:Vermuelens was consistently good in the RC and Retallick, Savea have been solid. I would have Aaron Smith in there, easily the best 9 in the business. Nothing you'd want more in a 9.
Hav'nt seen enough of Sexton but was excellent vs the Boks. Not usually a fan cos he keeps bottling vs the ABs, last years pressure kick to put the game away a straight case of nerves. Never does against us what he did last week though...was impressive.
Kurandrani has been a strong performer for oz. Always breaks the line and a handful for anyone.

If you haven't seen much of Sexton, then you must not have seen much of Conor Murray. He has it all including physique. Even the Kiwi press rate him.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:30 pm

kingraf wrote:To be fair to Du PreeZ, he was the standout player for the Bulls in their 2009 S14/15 season where they basically destroyed everyone they faced. Was pivotal in the Lions series victory, and basically box kicked NZ to death three times(!) in a year.

HEC vs Super 15
6N vs 3N (which includes the last 3-0 sweep over NZ)
Lions defeat... vs Lions win. I'd say its a debate worth having.
Victory over South Africa vs Defeat to Ireland...

Also, I don't think anyone actually thought Pierre Spies was good, they just thought he could be good. 6'4, 240lbs, 10.7s 100m time, can do pull-ups with 60kg on his back for reps. Elite athlete. Pity he was merely a ruck inspector..
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

Fin Russell after we beat NZ

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm

Sin é wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Vermuelens was consistently good in the RC and Retallick, Savea have been solid. I would have Aaron Smith in there, easily the best 9 in the business. Nothing you'd want more in a 9.

If you haven't seen much of Sexton, then you must not have seen much of Conor Murray. He has it all including physique. Even the Kiwi press rate him.

Yes he impressed last year versus us from memory with a nuggety try close in. Its Smiths pass that sets him apart. I've seen sexton play many times, just not the ones that might put him on the list bar last week. Was OK in the 6N but nothing to see him ahead if Vermuelens in my opinion anyway.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

I recall I really really didn't like Du Preez in his prime. Which is code for he was very good. He was strong and snipey as well. He was a little bit more than the box kick I thought. Was defo the best around for a couple years and he made numerous 606v2 best XVs. Duane is awesome, one brute of a man. Savea has been industrious and productive. Brody has been strong. Haven't seen enough of Sexton to comment but I'll take everyone's word that he's done good. Sexton should win. Schmidt will win coach of the year. Is there a team of the year? Ireland will win that to. Clean sweep for Ireland.

I voted Savea though.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:43 pm

Doesn't team of the year go to the #1 team? If indeed it does exist
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

ebop wrote:I recall I really really didn't like Du Preez in his prime. Which is code for he was very good. He was strong and snipey as well. He was a little bit more than the box kick I thought. Was defo the best around for a couple years and he made numerous 606v2 best XVs. Duane is awesome, one brute of a man. Savea has been industrious and productive. Brody has been strong. Haven't seen enough of Sexton to comment but I'll take everyone's word that he's done good. Sexton should win. Schmidt will win coach of the year. Is there a team of the year? Ireland will win that to. Clean sweep for Ireland.

I voted Savea though.

Yes agree with Ireland team of the year and perhaps being his first year Schmidt is hard to beat. The Bok result and the 6N win? Impressive...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

So team of the year doesn't go to the #1 team? What a silly award then.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

Sexton deserved to be on the list, but Savea should win for me. He's one of my new favourite players.

I think that in 2009 they introduced a new system for picking the player of the year. The result was such a bad decision that I think they actually immediately changed it. It had to be either Du Preez or O'Driscoll.

For me the manner in which O'Driscoll dragged his team to a first ever 6 Nations and a first grand slam in 62 years was a huge achievement. Without BOD Ireland may well have lost 3 of their 5 games that year. He also grabbed the try to draw with Australia which helped Ireland go unbeaten for a year, and unprecedented achievement for a team of Ireland's historical standing.

Whatever they did for Bulls or Leinster wasn't considered, although maybe it should be,
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

kingraf wrote:So team of the year doesn't go to the #1 team? What a silly award then.

It'd actually be close to an insult to keep giving it to New Zealand too though Wink

I can picture the presentation. "And once again, the panel of judges have come to the conclusion that in their opinion New Zealand - the All Blacks - are team of the year!!!!!!"
McCaw accepting the award with a sneer: "You with the monkey suit and microphone - yeah, you - sit the hell down, shut the hell up and quit talking crap. We know we're the best, we don't need a panel of supposed wise asswholes thinking we are."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

kingraf wrote:So team of the year doesn't go to the #1 team? What a silly award then.

It usually does but this year there's enough reasons to suggest it could be not the AB's via a vote, even though they will have had the best season from a W/L record- so far anyway.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:

It'd actually be close to an insult to keep giving it to New Zealand too though Wink

I can picture the presentation. "And once again, the panel of judges have come to the conclusion that in their opinion New Zealand - the All Blacks - are team of the year!!!!!!"
McCaw accepting the award with a sneer:  "You with the monkey suit and microphone - yeah, you - sit the hell down, shut the hell up and quit talking crap.  We know we're the best, we don't need a panel of supposed wise asswholes thinking we are."

Actually I'd love to see McCaw say that for once as its about 100 miles from what he would say- that'd be fun. Yahoo

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:57 pm

SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Browne woz robbed!

But I'm glad becoz of wot that lad did to our BOD.... who woz also robbed in 2009.

Wot goes around comes around.

I think Fioure Du Preez deserved it in 2009 myself.

Good for you FA.  I don't.  I believe a player who almost single handedly won the 6N and the HEC in 2009 deserved it.  O'Driscoll's vintage year for me and that is a few years after he was already told he was past it.  That made 2009 even more fun.

Fourie Du Preez was the cog that the Springbok team of 2009 was built around and look how that worked out for them but by all means BOD and Ireland won the 6N Smile
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:46 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

But I'm glad becoz of wot that lad did to our BOD.... who woz also robbed in 2009.

Good for you FA.  I don't.  I believe a player who almost single handedly won the 6N and the HEC in 2009 deserved it.  O'Driscoll's vintage year for me and that is a few years after he was already told he was past it.  That made 2009 even more fun.

Fourie Du Preez was the cog that the Springbok team of 2009 was built around and look how that worked out for them but by all means BOD and Ireland won the 6N Smile

The point is Bulls,  Springboks are usually 2nd ranked side in the world - an entire squad of top athletes.  And they were 2nd again at the beginning of 2009.  It's easier to shine in a side so familiar with the top and the coaching that comes with it.  Towards the end of the year, du Preez had helped them to 1st.

Now when we say BOD almost alone carried Ireland - dragged them, by his force of will, to the 6N Grand Slam - we're saying it was a special year to see a player, already told he was way past his best, play so forcefully and drag a side to the goal that had eluded them for so long.  A team ranked 8th at the beginning of 2009 - behind France, behind England, behind Wales, behind Argentina, behind Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.  

In those first few months of 2009 BOD took the 6N Grand Slam, Equal top try scorer of 6N, Player of the 6N tournament, the HEC title , Top try scorer in HEC.  Ireland also jumped 4 places in the rankings during that same period that SA moved up to 1st.  (nowhere else to go, you'll say Wink - true)

Bulls, I don't doubt that Du Preez was worth his weight to the SA side.  But in 2009, O'Driscoll was worth a lot more than his individual weight to both his Province and his Nation.
We'll both feel that 2009 cheated the true Best Player of that year out of the title, and disagree about the name Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

The point is Bulls,  Springboks are usually 2nd ranked side in the world - an entire squad of top athletes.  And they were 2nd again at the beginning of 2009.  It's easier to shine in a side so familiar with the top and the coaching that comes with it.  Towards the end of the year, du Preez had helped them to 1st.

Now when we say BOD almost alone carried Ireland - dragged them, by his force of will, to the 6N Grand Slam - we're saying it was a special year to see a player, already told he was way past his best, play so forcefully and drag a side to the goal that had eluded them for so long.  A team ranked 8th at the beginning of 2009 - behind France, behind England, behind Wales, behind Argentina, behind Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.  

In those first few months of 2009 BOD took the 6N Grand Slam, Equal top try scorer of 6N, Player of the 6N tournament, the HEC title , Top try scorer in HEC.  Ireland also jumped 4 places in the rankings during that same period that SA moved up to 1st.  (nowhere else to go, you'll say Wink - true)

Bulls, I don't doubt that Du Preez was worth his weight to the SA side.  But in 2009, O'Driscoll was worth a lot more than his individual weight to both his Province and his Nation.
We'll both feel that 2009 cheated the true Best Player of that year out of the title, and disagree about the name Wink

Now that's what I call a good argument...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm

It is just an award, you get your name on the plaque great, you don't it doesn't diminish what you meant to your team.

Any award that is voted on has an element of subjective opinion, everyone values performances differently.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

Sexton as the token NH player I see

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:50 pm

Biltong wrote:It is just an award, you get your name on the plaque great, you don't it doesn't diminish what you meant to your team.

Any award that is voted on has an element of subjective opinion, everyone values performances differently.

Yes thats true and one of the things that must hurt a players chances are if they miss matches. If they score 3,2 and 1 for every tests you could have a player that gets a truckload of 3's and plays half the tests for the year and one that wins for getting one or two 3's and a truckload of 1's and 2's over the entire year with every test played.

Don't think thats something Vermulens needs to worry about.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Absolutely amazing. And he did that all on his own (and he isnt even from the SH). I am in awe.....when did this happen again? Someone said that was a good arguement. I'd say its time you took your medication...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:48 am

ME-109 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Absolutely amazing. And he did that all on his own (and he isnt even from the SH). I am in awe.....when did this happen again? Someone said that was a good arguement. I'd say its time you took your medication...

Yes...the fact that he did this all on his own makes this even more meritorious. I think Ritchie should give it back right now! He's got two more, and he even used a couple of people for those ones...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 13 Nov 2014, 6:57 am

Savea or Retallick for me.

Sexton had quite a few below par performances for Racing Metro but he will probably win the 606 poll Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 13 Nov 2014, 7:09 am

Retallick for me
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 13 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

Didn't the Welsh public launch a massive on line campaign to vote for Shane Williams in 2008?

Do the public still get to vote?

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

No just a panel of 8 ex pros.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 13 Nov 2014, 11:05 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Savea or Retallick for me.

Sexton had quite a few below par performances for Racing Metro but he will probably win the 606 poll Wink

His performances for Racing don't matter,only international form counts.That said while he has been very good this year I don't think he's been good enough to win this,there are a few players in the Irish squad who could justifiably claim to have had form equal to his.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm

It's best rugby Union player of the year.  I know that club/Provincial performances don't count but they should.  The judgement year Should include a player's day job.  Club rugby still is an IRB sport..................... for now Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:38 pm

ME-109 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

I think what killed it for BOD was the lions tour in 2009. He didn't play poorly but he didn't exactly set himself above his peers. Those were the tests where he would have been judged. Not a all round dominance of Italy.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:40 pm

Italy laughing nice. Always the purr and then the strike Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

fa0019 wrote:
I think what killed it for BOD was the lions tour in 2009. He didn't play poorly but he didn't exactly set himself above his peers. Those were the tests where he would have been judged. Not a all round dominance of Italy.

Here we go again. BOD was exceptional on that tour. Roberts got all the credit but BOD up until his injury was pretty outstanding.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Here we go again. BOD was exceptional on that tour. Roberts got all the credit but BOD up until his injury was pretty outstanding.

Exceptional as in Scott Gibbs 97 exceptional? Ben Clarke 93 exceptional? George North 2013 exceptional?

Don't get me wrong, he didn't play bad, he played up to his high peak standards, but standout... no, not IMO. There were a clutch of players in Phillips, Roberts, Croft who were more standout in that side alone.

Not saying McCaw deserved it and I've said before I thought it was up to BOD and Du Preez myself a the time and would have given my own personal preference to Du Preez.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:57 pm

ME-109 wrote:

I knew you'd show up ME.  The lack of Munsterism attracted you.  It insulted the boys.  
Look at the scores... we weren't exactly punch drunking our opponents in 2009, were we?  Who was scoring the vital tries both running and 'forward' ones? Wink  Who else for Ireland was up for the award that year?  Who scored most tries in two contests that were full of fancy wings?
But I note your opinion now he's gone.  The history revisionist - we always get them after the event.  BOD?  Nope, the guy did nothing for Ireland.  Give me Murray any day - now there's a genuine dark knight. Wink Better still, in all fairness, at the end of the day, yeah, no (to use the usual cliches) it should actually have been the whole Irish team that won Player of the Year. Nobody misses out on a kiss then.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:20 pm

In the end guys be happy. You were 6N champs that year,  you went a calendar year unbeaten  Kidney got coach of the year so its a pretty decent return.

Player of the year.... some of the great in Gregan, Eales, Jonno, Smit.... they never won it either, BOD wasn't robbed in the end of the day.

Saying BOD carried Ireland though is a little bit off the mark. They had what 6 players in the lions test team that year.  They had many top players that year.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

I voted for Savea but Vermeulen and Retallick are both mighty close. Sam Whitelock could have been on that list as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:31 pm

fa0019 wrote:in the end of the day.

Saying BOD carried Ireland though is a little bit off the mark. They had what 6 players in the lions test team that year.  They had many top players that year.

Be happy FA. Your guy 'deserved' it - he had a team around him to make him shine. Our guy 'deserved' it, he had a team around him to help him shine. Wink
All Players of the Year have teams around them that helped them shine. But the award still exists - and it's for one player alone. So discussions like this thread will always happen.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

I agree fly.

many had claim to the award that year as do many years. I wouldn't have had complaints had either BOD or Du Preez won the award in 2009, everyone has personal preferences mind.

Shame that props and locks have never been rewards though. Those guys I think deserve one and not just why I think Retallick would be a worthy choice this year.

Funny enough though.. a centre has never won one either. When we think of Umaga, De Villiers, Fioure, BOD, Greenwood, Mortlock, SBW, Smith etc its amazing none have picked up an award.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

I knew you'd show up ME.  The lack of Munsterism attracted you.  It insulted the boys.  
Look at the scores... we weren't exactly punch drunking our opponents in 2009, were we?  Who was scoring the vital tries both running and 'forward' ones? Wink  Who else for Ireland was up for the award that year?  Who scored most tries in two contests that were full of fancy wings?
But I note your opinion now he's gone.  The history revisionist - we always get them after the event.  BOD?  Nope, the guy did nothing for Ireland.  Give me Murray any day - now there's a genuine dark knight. Wink  Better still, in all fairness, at the end of the day, yeah, no (to use the usual cliches) it should actually have been the whole Irish team that won Player of the Year.  Nobody misses out on a kiss then.

Something like 80% of the tries scored in the Grand Slam were moves off the Ireland lineout Wink

Gas that only Munstermen have won any of these IRB awards - Woody & Kidney  Wink

I think Tony O'Reilly is the only Leinsterman to make it into the IRB Hall of Fame.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 4:31 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

But I note your opinion now he's gone.  The history revisionist - we always get them after the event.  BOD?  Nope, the guy did nothing for Ireland.  Give me Murray any day - now there's a genuine dark knight. Wink  Better still, in all fairness, at the end of the day, yeah, no (to use the usual cliches) it should actually have been the whole Irish team that won Player of the Year.  Nobody misses out on a kiss then.

Something like 80% of the tries scored in the Grand Slam were moves off the Ireland lineout Wink

Gas that only Munstermen have won any of these IRB awards - Woody & Kidney  Wink

I think Tony O'Reilly is the only Leinsterman to make it into the IRB Hall of Fame.

How many Munstermen?

Wasn't Ronnie Dawson from Leinster too?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

Leinster 2 Munster 0

Wood was made IRB player was a win for Harlequins more than anything.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Leinster 2 Munster 0

I hear South Africa are willing to second any motion for ROG to join the HoF anytime........... springbok legend!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm

Do they love him because he made fools of the whole Bok team in Dublin in '04 or something?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Nov 2014, 5:08 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

How many Munstermen?

Wasn't Ronnie Dawson from Leinster too?

You won't find any Munstermen in the IRB Hall of Fame Wink That will be reserved for Ulster and Leinstermen of past endeavour (usually being Lions)!

Kidney (IRB Coach of the Year 2009) & Woody (first to receive IRB Player of the Year 2001). BOD was a nominee along with George Smith, Johnny Wilkinson & George Gregan.

Schmidt might win coach of the year this year if Ireland beat Georgia & Australia. He would have won all games bar England one this year then. Hansen lost one match against SA.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Leinster 2 Munster 0

Wood was made IRB player was a win for Harlequins more than anything.

IRB wrote:IRB Player of the Year is an accolade awarded annually by the International Rugby Board. It is awarded to the player who is adjudged to have been the best performer in rugby union internationals in the preceding season, from January to the final test match of the year.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

If we beat Oz Schmidt will be coach of the year. Win the six nations, win your summer tour and win the month of November. You cant ask for more than that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next