The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray?

+9
banbrotam
Jahu
laverfan
LuvSports!
DirectView2
Johnyjeep
lags72
sirfredperry
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray? Empty Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray?

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:47 pm

It might have been a minor irritation to Federer that he has had a negative H2H with Murray. I have just noticed that they now stand at 11 wins each and they are due to play in the final RR of the WTF on Thursday. Federer has a chance to finally reverse the H2H with Murray. If he does so at the grand old age of 33 it will be another great achievement.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray? Empty Re: Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:58 pm

I think we have to see how 2015 pans out before we commence the lovefest Very Happy

I am sure he will reverse it if Moet have anything to do with it! Wink

Back to top Go down

Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray? Empty Re: Federer To Reverse The H2H With Murray?

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:15 pm

^ I hope your not suggesting matches are fixed?

As for waiting for what happens in 2015 before giving a player credit for what happens in 2014 Erm

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:19 pm

We are talking one match.

It's not earth shattering to warrant high praise.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:24 pm

No not earth shattering but it would be a neat statistic. Just as it would have been neat for Nadal to catch Davydenko.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Of course, a Nishikori win over Fed would take the Japanese into a 3-2 lead over the Swiss in the h2hs. Both would want to avoid Djoko in the semis, although Stan's demolition of Berdych today is some sort of a warning.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Something tells me that very few people (least of all Federer himself) would see the reversal mentioned by HE - if indeed it happens - as "a great achievement", regardless of his advanced years.

I remember once wanting to check a fact relating to the Federer CV and was intrigued to find that there are several different wiki pages devoted to him. The list of his most notable 'career achievements' is a very, very long one. Many of the records documented are unique to him and a fair few, I'm willing to bet, may remain that way for many years to come - and some, perhaps, for ever.

But with all respect to Andy, I doubt that "positive h2h vs Murray" will ever feature as "a great achievement" - whether in the annals of Roger Federer's personal tennis resume, or the history of the sport in general.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:58 pm

lags72. No one has said it would be a great achievement.

It would just be neat.

Maybe the reverse is true. For the likes of Federer and Nadal it matters little to have a Davydenko or Murray messing up their copybook but for other players getting even one win against these players is a cause for celebration.

sirfredperry. So Federer could get a positive H2H with Kei if he wins the next match too. That would also be neat.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:It might have been a minor irritation to Federer that he has had a negative H2H with Murray. I have just noticed that they now stand at 11 wins each and they are due to play in the final RR of the WTF on Thursday. Federer has a chance to finally reverse the H2H with Murray. If he does so at the grand old age of 33 it will be another great achievement.

Well ......I think when you say "no one has said it would be a great achievement" ......you might mean nobody except you yourself ....... chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

^ Erm Hawkeye. I would therefore suggest you report the OP to the mods because someone has hacked into your profile and written the OP without your knowledge as you actually state:

"If he does so at the grand old age of 33 it will be another great achievement"

So to be fair...you did say it would be a great achievement.

Anyway....What was more worrying was that from a BBC Poll conducted yesterday, the public had Andy Murray as second favourite. I know he has won some tournaments lately but he miles away from dining at the top table once again for me.

I think he has absolutely no chance against Federer when they meet in a couple of days time - current form wise. Which, has not always been the case throughout the career as HE alludes to.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:24 pm

@ JJ, I won't rule Murray out against Fed, at the moment the winner of Murray- Fed likely to make the semi's, so Andy would be motivated further to beat Fed.

I am not sure whether Fed will win any match further in WTF 2014.

@ the article, Fed will lose sleep if he ends up losing to kei and Andy and will celebrate early christmas if he happens to beat the two and thus gaining a positive h2h.

Seriously the article makes a lot of sense Bubbly notworthy

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 pm

You reckon DV2? I don't see Murray bearing Raonic or Nish, Federer. I think the other semi finalist from the group is gonna be between Nish or Raonic. Stick my neck out out and say nish.

Fed is in his best form for sometime, and with the DC coming up, I just think the absolute kitchen sink is going into the next 2/3 weeks.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 pm

@ JJ , I would have agreed with you had you wrote about it before Paris loss to Raonic but now not sure.

Fed has become completely unpredictable of late.

Kei will top the group and Fed/Murray to fight out for the 2nd spot.

I still believe it could be Cilic - Stan on the other group, it all depends upon who tops the match today between Cilic and Djoko.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Since the FO Feds has made it to the wimby final, toronto final, won cincy, sf of US, won shanghai & Basel and lost once to Raonic and then beat him fairly comfortably, where is the unpredictably?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:01 pm

You forgot won Halle as well LS. 4 losses since end of May is that? That's why I think he's in good form tbh. With confidence high.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Good spot JJ.
Has Directview been on the yazoo like jahu?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 am

LuvSports! wrote:Has Directview been on the yazoo like jahu?

He must have sneaked the Moët (along with IMBL as his co-conspirator) from Federer (who would not notice a missing Moat in his Cellar) and had a few. Laugh

What strange (bed?)fellows doth a Moët make!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:10 am

Luv, I told you I am a Yakult man, Yazoo is too sweet Laugh

DV, Fed will win the WTF, rest assuered (maybe) Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:55 am

Sorrryyyy Wink it just goes better.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:56 am

Keep it up thumbsup
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm surprised that HE thinks that having a postive head to head against Murray would be an achievement at any time

To be hoenst I'm hoping for a great 3 set defeat for Andy and to be out of the competition as I worry about another beating from Novak

It doesn't matter, as I think assuming that Andy is rested and fit, he'll come back next year and will then start to beat Roger again

Roger is the clear favorite - but if Andy plays like he did in a couple of matches during his autumn winning streak, you never know. And of course Roger only needs a set - so a 2-1 Murray comeback win, like in the old days, isn't impossible

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Certainly possible banbro, particularly if Raonic wins the first match so Federer is definitely safe. On the other hand, the #1 ranking could still be live if Stan wins tonight, and Fed generally doesn't like losing to Murray.

Could be a tough night for Andy, but I hope he does himself justice and grabs a set at least. As for going ahead in the H2H...doesn't really matter, can't see Federer being fussed. More important things on the line.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 am

I don't think it matters at this stage of Federer's career what his h2h are. What matters are his results and up until AO 2013, Fed was the only one in the top 4 who Murray had not beaten in a slam and at the moment it is just one win for Murray compared to Fed's 3 Slam Final wins vs Murray.

The h2h will change and it will probably be more in Murray's favour as time goes on. I know I would rather see Fed lose in M1000 and whatever other events to Murray than say lose a final to Murray.

At 33, he is going to have more bad days than good ones (USO Semi) though this year he has been more consistent. At this stage of his career its winning titles that matters not h2h. I am certain when Federer does retire Murray, Djokovic and Nadal will have winning h2hs over him.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 am

FedsFan: " am certain when Federer does retire Murray, Djokovic and Nadal will have winning h2hs over him."

Trailing 10-23 to Rafa, Fed is never going to pull than back. But he's 19-17 to Djoko (3-2 this season), ensuring he'll still be ahead whatever happens at the last stages in London.
Yeah, old age will probably catch up with Rog and Murray and Djoko could overtake him. But at least he's held his own with the number one this season.
Am tinkering with my, already posted, Fed main h2h stats to mark the, eventual, 1,000th win which at this rate will come quite early in 2015.
Fed's just edged 3-2 up on Nishi and pushed 7-1 up on Raonic. The 11-11 with Andy will go one way or the other tonight.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Well, 12-11 to Fed now and so that's another of the guys he was level with that he's been able to pull away from. These head to heads are more of statistical interest than anything else but are nevertheless fascinating.
Nadal, for example, won't now have the chance to get even with the now-retired Davydenko who he trails, and will forever!, 6-5.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:13 pm

sirfredperry wrote:FedsFan: " am certain when Federer does retire Murray, Djokovic and Nadal will have winning h2hs over him."

Trailing 10-23 to Rafa, Fed is never going to pull than back. But he's 19-17 to Djoko (3-2 this season), ensuring he'll still be ahead whatever happens at the last stages in London.
   Yeah, old age will probably catch up with Rog and Murray and Djoko could overtake him. But at least he's held his own with the number one this season.
  Am tinkering with my, already posted, Fed main h2h stats to mark the, eventual, 1,000th win which at this rate will come quite early in 2015.
  Fed's just edged 3-2 up on Nishi and pushed 7-1 up on Raonic. The 11-11 with Andy will go one way or the other tonight.

I don't know if he will fall behind them. Federer has defied logic by turning the 2013 form on it's head and he looks well. If he can keep the back in shape and hone the attacking game maybe there's another 2 years of this to come, at which point who knows where Murray & Djokovic will be? As for Nadal, there possibility always lurks of him falling from the top before Roger (even though it wouldn't change the h2h it would be interesting). Unlikely but not out of the question.

I have a little dream that he outlasts the other three.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 pm

bogbrush wrote:

I have a little dream that he outlasts the other three.

I have a little dream that both Federer and Nadal retire at the same age. It would be fitting Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Federer's head to head with Djokovic and Murray are quite finely balanced. He may only play them 5-10 times more, if he can inch one or two more matches ahead that would be hard for them to pull back.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down