The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new chairman for the Pro12

+4
PenfroPete
SecretFly
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
8 posters

Go down

A new chairman for the Pro12 Empty A new chairman for the Pro12

Post by LordDowlais Wed 22 Oct 2014, 9:28 am

How would the rest of you feel if one of these pair were put in charge ?

Departing Welsh Rugby Union officials David Pickering and Gerald Davies may be in the running to become the next Pro12 chairman.
Scotland's Andy Irvine's three-year term is close to ending.
Pickering has been voted off the WRU after 11 years as chairman while Davies is stepping down.
Pro12 chief executive David Jordan said nominations will be considered "at the end of October", adding: "It's the WRU's turn to nominate somebody."
Welsh Rugby Union statement
"Any and all nominations for representation on important rugby bodies and committees are matters for consideration by the full board of the WRU."
Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive Gareth Davies and Llanelli official Anthony Buchanan - former team-mates of Pickering - won seats on the WRU board in the election in which Pickering was deposed.
The WRU's annual general meeting on Sunday will signal the end of ex-Wales and British and Irish Lions wing Gerald Davies' term as well as that of former national captain and flanker Pickering.
Gareth Davies and Buchanan will take their places on the board after that.
It leaves Pickering and Davies free for the Guinness Pro12 chairmanship role
While it is the WRU's chance to nominate the competition chairman, the governing body does not have to put forward a Welshman for the role.

It is understood that the WRU's Celtic partners in the tournament want unanimity between the WRU and Regional Rugby Wales (RRW) over the nomination as it seeks to grow its reputation and ambition.
Pickering and RRW, which represents Newport Gwent Dragons, Cardiff Blues, Ospreys and Scarlets have declined to comment.
Gerald Davies has also been asked to comment.
The WRU stated: "Any and all nominations for representation on important rugby bodies and committees are matters for consideration by the full Board of the WRU.
"The chairmanship of the Guinness Pro12 is a matter for the company which organises and manages the tournament.
"The WRU is a shareholder of the Guinness Pro12."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29644239

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

A new chairman for the Pro12 Empty Re: A new chairman for the Pro12

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:02 am

Mark McGafferty - You know it makes sense.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

I wonder why this is the reason why Roger Lewis gave in over the whole war with RRW.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

McCaff would be a good choice.  Afterall he's certainly man enough and has brains to burn to take on two roles at once and still do both jobs perfectly in the usual businessman's hours of 24 and a half hours a day.  Those high seated Chief Execs, they always seem to do longer, harder hours than the sweat shop factory workers.  More power lunches perhaps...more driving down the motorway on the way to a function maybe.  Them's hard hours listening to the radio on your way to drinks and some nice food...all expences paid.

Anyway, I digress Wink.  Yeah, McCaff would be able to see the chicken coop from inside for a first time rather than being part of the fox gang surrounding it Wink

He'd of course instantly call a halt to the new European events by demanding changes that would improve the status and winning potential of his Pro12 sides.  And, until he got his way, he wouldn't play.

On the other hand, back in the real world - the WRU are the only ones who can pick a new director, so I guess my opinion doesn't even count.

But I say Gavin Henson.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:10 am

T.G.R. Davies CBE please
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:16 am

Penfro, I reckon Roger Lewis gave in to RRW during the infighting, becuase he could see a bigger picture, and he wants control over the whole Celtic/Italian show.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:56 am

Well, it's nearly "the end of October" so we don't have long to wait Fingers Crossed
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

Dumping the Great Unwanted Roger Lewis onto the Pro12 plate?

Are you guys a little masocistic???!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

SecretFly wrote:Dumping the Great Unwanted Roger Lewis onto the Pro12 plate?

The man has no morals, he has skin like a rhino, and before long, I reckon, we will all have to put up with him, not just us Welshies. Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Oct 2014, 11:53 am

So that's McCaff of the PRL AND Lewis of our own Pro12 who'll be out to ruin the Irish Provinces!?

Afterall, he'll insist that the Irish Internationals play for Wales outside the International Windows! Wink  It'll decimate us. Crying or Very sad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Penfro, I reckon Roger Lewis gave in to RRW during the infighting, becuase he could see a bigger picture, and he wants control over the whole Celtic/Italian show.

Nope. That would mean he would have to move to Dublin.

TBH, I don't think chairing the Pro12 is a lucrative position anyway - more an honorary one. I'd be surprised if they got anything more than expenses if Celtic Rugby want to avail of sporting tax exemption in Ireland.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 23 Oct 2014, 6:21 pm

Is it not more of an honorary role?
I didn't even know Andy Irvine was the current chairman. He did sod all when he was a big wig in the SRU. A fantastic player (one of my favourites) but a humpty administrator

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 23 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

[quote="Sin é"]
LordDowlais wrote:Penfro, I reckon Roger Lewis gave in to RRW during the infighting, becuase he could see a bigger picture, and he wants control over the whole Celtic/Italian show.

Nope. That would mean he would have to move to Dublin.

TBH, I don't think chairing the Pro12 is a lucrative position anyway - more an honorary one. I'd be surprised if they got anything more than expenses if Celtic Rugby want to avail of sporting tax exemption in Ireland.

[/quote
Sin, if what you say is true and there is not much money in that job, it is great news for the Guinness as neither Prickering or the Dodger would take that job, they would also need BONUS payments, the only problem is we want the Dodger out, and if you will not take him, we are stuck with him.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Dumping the Great Unwanted Roger Lewis onto the Pro12 plate?

The man has no morals, he has skin like a rhino, and before long, I reckon, we will all have to put up with him, not just us Welshies. Sorry

Saint Helena for Dodger.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down