The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns vs. Cook

+2
Scottrf
Lumbering_Jack
6 posters

Go down

Burns vs. Cook Empty Burns vs. Cook

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 26 May - 2:02

Another bit a clever match making by fish eyes. How Cook is deserving of a shot is beyond me. Since being spanked by Martinez he has only fought a 6 rounder against Youssef Al Hamidi, hardly title prep.

Burns takes this one by points, doesnt have the power to crack an egg due to his arm punching.

118 - 110

Thoughts

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Burns vs. Cook Empty Re: Burns vs. Cook

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May - 2:05

It's an awful fight, but an awful division.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 26 May - 2:07

I thought Burns was making noises about beating the other champs. Guess Frank had a word about that silly idea.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May - 2:08

They were talking about Fana, but he got stripped. Although think they had backed out of that idea beforehand anyway.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May - 3:00

Interesting fight if Cook has much left, he was outboxing and hurting Martinez until he got stopped, but i'd back Burns here, youth should prevail

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 26 May - 6:09

Scottrf wrote:They were talking about Fana, but he got stripped. Although think they had backed out of that idea beforehand anyway.

Fana was up for the fight but Fwank apparently asked for too much money.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisprsea Thu 26 May - 6:55

You know, I actually think if an ambitious and primed Cook turns up, Burns could be in some serious trouble. Burns likes the counter-punching and Martinez as a brawler was tailor-made. (Still thought he would steam-roller Burns though) I remember watching a few fights back he beat Kevin O'Hara on a lopsided decision, don't know if anyone watched it but I had O'Hara winning! At the very least the scoring was shockingly OTT. A very close fight. Point is, Cook has useful boxing skills, a decent output, experience and a little extra dig to boot. Though with two years inactivity and a Cookie of old showing unlikely, I'm going for a closeish 115-112 for Burns, with Burns touching canvas once.

Crisprsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 26 May - 7:14

The fact Cook is getting a shot is disgraceful. He was sparked out by Martinez who Burns beat by a pretty decent UD. 2 years out and a 6 round UD hardly deserves a title shot.

The fact it is in England is a kick in the balls for Burns as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 26 May - 7:22

Steven_89 wrote:Interesting fight if Cook has much left, he was outboxing and hurting Martinez until he got stopped, but i'd back Burns here, youth should prevail

Only 3 years between Burns and Cook I don't think it's youth that comes into it. Cook's been out for a while and hasn't faced top opposition for a while now so could have a little ring rust.

Absolute shambles Cook has this chance anyway certainly doesn't deserve it but doesn't surprise is with Frank.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisprsea Thu 26 May - 7:27

Does Cook deserve this title shot? Of course not! But does it make financial sense? Definitely! With Fana stripped is there any big fights on offer in the meantime? NO! Does Cookie stand a chance? I'm going against my normally strict adheration to fighter's activity and betting twenty squids he's shock everyone. For me it makes perfect sense and I look forward to it. The era of every fighter earning their shot sadly died decades ago. Keep up with the times!

Crisprsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 26 May - 7:28

Crisprsea wrote:Does Cook deserve this title shot? Of course not! But does it make financial sense? Definitely! With Fana stripped is there any big fights on offer in the meantime? NO! Does Cookie stand a chance? I'm going against my normally strict adheration to fighter's activity and betting twenty squids he's shock everyone. For me it makes perfect sense and I look forward to it. The era of every fighter earning their shot sadly died decades ago. Keep up with the times!

Roman Martinez rematch would be worth more money it was an excellent fight first time round.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisprsea Thu 26 May - 7:32

That fight lacks a belt though and to the casual fan that means a lot. Besides Burns is the champ and its his camp who are influencing the fights. Cook vs Martinez 2 would not be a headline attraction and who would Burns fight instead?

If you mean Burns-Martinez I think it was a great fight but it proved that Burns had Martinez's number, I'd fancy Burns stopping him next time.

Crisprsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 26 May - 8:27

Crisprsea wrote:That fight lacks a belt though and to the casual fan that means a lot. Besides Burns is the champ and its his camp who are influencing the fights. Cook vs Martinez 2 would not be a headline attraction and who would Burns fight instead?

If you mean Burns-Martinez I think it was a great fight but it proved that Burns had Martinez's number, I'd fancy Burns stopping him next time.

I didn't mean Cook/Martinez I meant Burns/Martinez. I couldn't care less what Cook does tbh, Burns doesn't have the power to stop anyone.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down