The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual

+10
mystiroakey
Hulking_up
sportform
Bull
Good Golly I'm Olly
CaledonianCraig
GSC
dyrewolfe
pob
Fernando
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual - Page 3 Empty Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual

Post by Fernando Wed 01 Oct 2014, 4:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Abuse won't be tolerated

The driver's title might be closer than ever, but all eyes will be on Max Verstappen who takes to the track on Friday...

Suzuka is an old-school narrow F1 circuit with corners that bite. The famous 130R may have been emasculated with a tarmac run-off and is no longer the threat it was when Three-Times-Le-mans-Winner Allan McNish bent his Toyota round it, but there is still the very tricky 'Spoon' and the two corners that can end free practice early for unwary drivers, Degner 1 and Degner 2.

The big headline coming into the GP weekend is the arrival in F1 of (just) 17-year-old Max Verstappen to take part in FP1 on Friday for Toro Rosso: "I have actually been to Suzuka before, to take part in a go-kart race on the track that is located next to the main circuit's back straight. My dad has raced at Suzuka many times and he told me it's not an easy track to start on. For me it will be a very valuable experience, spending some time in the car and also getting used to working with everyone in the team, to prepare myself for next year. I am not going there to break any records, I just want to gain experience."

Given that neither Daniil Kvyat or Max Verstappen have driven at Suzuka before and are both relying on their simulator experience, it will be very interesting to see how they perform against each other. Ahead of their 2015 season together.

The weather on Friday could be warm and wet making Max's debut even harder than expected. Nearby Nagoya is forecast to get rain on Friday, for it to stay dry on Saturday, but Sunday the area is due to have showers all day. That should make the race interesting.
Pirelli's Paul Hembery says that the track is a real work-out for the tyres, especially through the fast Esses early in the lap. "Suzuka is a real drivers' circuit, and because of that it is a considerable challenge for the tyres, with some of the biggest lateral energy loads of the year. As a result, it would probably be realistic to look at between two to three pit-stops. It's a track where several forces are often acting on the tyre at once, and the increased torque but decreased downforce of this year's cars will only place more demands on mechanical grip."

Like so many of the drivers; Jenson Button, Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo love Suzuka. Dan: "It's all good, but for me the first sector is just a delight. It's a dream. You have those fast changes of directions through the Esses, hard around the Dunlop Curve and then, arguably the best bit, turns Eight and Nine: Degner. Through Eight you're hanging on, it's so narrow and there's no room for error but you want to push as hard as you can. Then just as you straighten up the car, you're on the brakes, throwing it into this cambered right-hander and hoping you've got it right because if you haven't then it's all over. Getting to do that 53 times in a row is a pretty good way to earn a living."
Williams are bringing an updated aerodynamic package for this weekend's Japanese GP at Suzuka, and trackside engineering chief Rob Smedley reckons this, coupled with his team's improving ability to sort out set-up problems, means they can stay ahead of close rivals Ferrari. "We're really, really getting on top of tyre management now. And we're going to tracks that have a much bigger power effect (than Singapore), much bigger drag sensitivity, so we're really, really optimistic."

Lewis Hamilton is another big Suzuka fan: "It's one of the races on the calendar that drivers love the most - and arguably one of the greatest tracks in the world. There's so much history and there have been so many defining moments there - like those unforgettable battles between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost. I've never won at this circuit and have only made the podium once, on my first visit way back in 2009. I've had a couple of chances and last season was probably the best of those. This year, though, we have an exceptional car and I'm really hoping I'll finally have my shot at the top step. All the greats of Formula One have won at Suzuka since the sport first came."

With a high-profile Japanese girlfriend, Jenson Button gets a lot of support in Japan. He won in 2011, but is worried about the performance of his car at the Honda-owned track: "I think circuits that have a high-speed nature but not a big change of direction will be fine, like Brazil - but Suzuka could be tricky for us. In gradual high-speed corners we are reasonably good, but on corners with a sharp turn-in we are nowhere." So, one person not particularly looking forward to the Esses.

But the biggest question of all is: Will Kamui Kobayashi get to drive at his home Grand Prix? Caterham had still not announced their plans at the time of writing. The team are introducing a new front wing that Marcus Ericsson will be running, but who will be in the second car?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual - Page 3 Empty Re: Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

sikhlion wrote:That crash was horrific...... Just watched that link im not surprised he was so badly hurt. If he had hit the wheel of the truck he would have been okay, maybe they need to look at designing the trucks/cranes in a way that f1 cars can't go underneath

Marky wrote:
Maybe make the crane wheels so big a F1 car CAN go underneath, without coming into contact I mean.

Not likely. I can't see mobile crane manufacturers redesigning their vehicles, purely for 1 application.

It would be better if someone could design a detachable wraparound fender of some sort...although that might create access issues if it altered the dimensions of the machine too much.

Perhaps they should make the erecting of temporary barriers around crash sites mandatory, while races are ongoing, in situations where the car can't be cleared quickly, or the driver needs medical attention? Something like those flexible plastic(?) barriers they use round parts of Monaco.

Of course that would require a lot more marshals and vehicles to get the stuff to site and put it up - which might get in the way of the recovery and medical personel.

TBH I think it was a bit of a freak accident - 2 cars going off at the same point in close succession. I don't think there is much you can do, without making recovery efforts much bigger, more time-consuming tasks.

Fingers Crossed Best Wishes Jules Fingers Crossed
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual - Page 3 Empty Re: Japanese GP thread - contains spoilers as usual

Post by GSC Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

To be honest, there wasn't really much more anyone could do.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

We'll see I guess when the investigation is carried out - or I hope we will. Usually always human error along the way somewhere.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:36 pm

I just think it was very unfortunate incident. The truck manoeuvred into that position seconds before the Marussia struck it. I would say they would be better banning those trucks and only using cranes to remove crashed cars to a safer position.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:38 pm

That was the crane?

To be honest, all indications were everybody did everything right, this was just one of those unforseeable accidents where almost a perfect storm of factors combined.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

A Statement from the family of Jules Bianchi Yokkaichi, Japan 7 October 2014, 23.00hrs local/15.00hrs BST

The following statement is provided by the family of Jules Bianchi, in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center, and is distributed on their behalf by the Marussia F1 Team.

“This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation.

Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is in a critical but stable condition. The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident.

We are also grateful for the presence of Professor Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, and Professor Alessandro Frati, Neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who has travelled to Japan at the request of Scuderia Ferrari. They arrived at the hospital today and met with the medical personnel responsible for Jules’ treatment, in order to be fully informed of his clinical status so that they are able to advise the family. Professors Saillant and Frati acknowledge the excellent care being provided by the Mie General Medical Center and would like to thank their Japanese colleagues.

The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Diffuse axonal injury (DAI) is one of the most common and devastating types of traumatic brain injury,[1] meaning that damage occurs over a more widespread area than in focal brain injury. DAI, which refers to extensive lesions in white matter tracts, is one of the major causes of unconsciousness and persistent vegetative state after head trauma.[2] It occurs in about half of all cases of severe head trauma.

It is thought that diffuse axonal injury can occur in just about every level of severity, with concussion thought to be one of the milder forms. In mild to moderate forms of diffuse axonal injury, recovery is possible, with the mildest forms of diffuse axonal injury often resulting in few if any long-term issues.

The outcome is frequently coma, with over 90% of patients with severe DAI never regaining consciousness.[2] Those who do wake up often remain significantly impaired.[3]

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

Likely a sad end to his racing career, but I suspect he'd take walking away at this stage.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:46 pm

That does not sound good at all. Forget about racing again, Bianchi has a more important battle to win - one for his life and the odds, sadly, look stacked against him. Crying or Very sad
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm

Not what we wanted to hear. Such a shame. FIA will be forced to make changes, if Jules fails to recover from this & it ends his career. As the sport embraces more technological advances, I'd go with race control being able to control the ECU's of the car's during such incidents & over-riding their speed down to a 'safe' limit. Something like that. I'm not sure you can completely eradicate what's happened, just by redesigning recovery vehicles. After all, this is Motorsport & it's dangerous.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

It seems quite simple to me - ban the use of recovery vehicles. Replace them with cranes strategically positioned around the circuit. I'd guess that four dotted around each circuit would suffice. If cranes can'r remove the wreckage for whatever reason then stop the race and then bring recovery vehicle onto the track to remove the crashed car.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm

Four cranes wouldn't be enough, one crane only managed to cover degna & that area. Just imagine at Spa, you would need about 20 cranes, such is the scale of that track. Not sure banning recovery vehicles is the answer.

Interesting reading that Richard Hammond suffered a 'diffuse axonal' injury & he woke up after a week. Way too early to say this or that, reading the descriptions paints a negative outlook, but its all dependent upon the 'severity' of the injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:21 pm

If you watch the video its pretty clear its turned to green (and the board) before the vehicle is behind the barriers.

That's your problem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:22 pm

Olly wrote:If you watch the video its pretty clear its turned to green (and the board) before the vehicle is behind the barriers.

That's your problem

Surprisingly it's correct Olly. I can't be bothered to type out why but trust me it's correct.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

John wrote:Four cranes wouldn't be enough, one crane only managed to cover degna & that area. Just imagine at Spa, you would need about 20 cranes, such is the scale of that track. Not sure banning recovery vehicles is the answer.

Interesting reading that Richard Hammond suffered a 'diffuse axonal' injury & he woke up after a week. Way too early to say this or that, reading the descriptions paints a negative outlook, but its all dependent upon the 'severity' of the injury.

Yes I see what you are saying but circuits all have notorious corners with a habit of having accidents and so that is where you place the cranes. In any case some parts of these circuits have gaps in crash barriers that broken down cars can be moved to without need for trucks.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:13 am

The obvious hindsight would be to say the Safety Car should have come out before the removal truck was allowed to collect Sutil's car. The accident and timing was just horrendous luck on Bianchi's part. Had he crashed there a lap later he'd probably be sat at home right now/heading to Russia.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 09 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

Thats what Perez suggested. In fact he said that in future the Safety Car should be deployed when there are crashes, regardless of the weather conditions.

IMO thats a non-starter, as crashes are much less likely in dry weather and we even saw drivers spinning during the SC periods at Suzuka...so I'm not sure it would have made any difference, as far as having an actual accident is concerned.

That said, the speed at which the accident occurred would be a lot lower, so presumably the severity of the crash would be lessened significantly and Bianchi may have been able to walk away.

Sadly, we'll never know...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 Jul 2015, 7:57 am

Unfortunately Bianchi has died from the injuries he sustained in the crash.

A huge shame for a wonderfully talented driver
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:04 am

RIP Jules

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

Very sad news - scoring points for a downtrodden team is some feat.

Sadly, I think the writing was on the wall as his dad was in the media saying as much last week.

RIP Jules
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:34 pm

RIP Jules Bianchi rose

A life and promising career cut tragically short by a freak accident. Condolences to his family.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

The FIA has retired the no.17 as a mark of respect to Jules.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:34 pm

Rumours around suggesting he was being lined up as a replacement for Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari before his tragic accident ended his life.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 23 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

Yeah - I read those too.

Without wanting to sound unkind, I find it hard to imagine he was anywhere near ready to make that kind of a step up. The reports of Ferrari being interested in Bottas seemed a lot more credible.

It would make sense if they were back in the Schumacher era, dominating races and with 1 driver winning more often than not...they could afford to give a rookie time to develop. At the moment though, they're scrapping with Williams for position in the constructors' championship. Okay, Bottas isn't exactly a veteran either, but he and Massa have managed to give Mercedes the odd scare in a car that is distinctly second-best.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3