The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gotham

+10
Paul Mac 6CW
guildfordbat
Enforcer
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Steffan
DP
CFCNick
Brys
Bull
14 posters

Go down

Gotham Empty Gotham

Post by Bull Mon 22 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

So before there was Batman, there was Gotham!

Anyone excited for this as much as me?? xD

Oh and it looks like the series may have been inspired by Year One.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Gotham Empty Re: Gotham

Post by Brys Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:44 am

I'm interested in seeing where they go with it and if it can save Fox from what looks like a terrible year ratings wise for them. They need something desperately to rally behind and at this early a stage thats got to be worrying for them. Gotham will be interesting in how it does in the ratings as it faces of against two massive hitters in Big Bang Theory and the Voice, it may well struggle.

Couple of other interesting programmes tonight in what is really the kick off week for the US tv schedule. We have two successes from last season coming back in Blacklist (NBC) and Sleepy Hollow (Fox) back tonight while two new shows make there introductions in Forever (ABC) and Scorpions (CBS). Scorpion is certainly the more interesting premise of the two, Forever sounds a bit of the usual fare but may surprise. Both have a slighter easier time tonight than Gotham in the ratings struggle and could single if either has a chance even at this very early stage for renewal or if they are dead on day one let alone year one Wink

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Sep 2014, 7:49 pm

Hhahha very true xD Especially with Fox always cancelling shows early and everything.

Oh and you left out another great show which is Person Of Interest!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

Ah I didn't include PoI as it wasn't airing last night, only included those that were returning last night or starting. Speaking of Fox think they might be regretting cancelling Almost Human about now and 24 might be getting a call for more episodes.

I enjoyed Gotham last night was a better start than Arrow which I eventually came to enjoy. Thought it was a good opening episode though the city did look a little fake at times and the acting a bit wooden those tend to effect a lot of premiers as actors start to fit into their roles. The aforementioned Arrow was a major culprit for its first 4/5 episodes and it had some terrible dialogue to boot.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

Oh right I see, but either way that show is fantastic and I'm excited to see where it goes for Season 4.

I quite enjoyed Gotham as well, I guess I enjoyed the Arrow Pilot more as I didn't really know about the Green Arrow character and everything but either way Gotham's pilot was rather solid like I thought it would be.

The thing I did like about the city however was how it actually looked dark and grim which gave it a nice feel as that was the way it was in the comics/games, also the stuff like costumes, cars and phones being set to the time period is nice to see and sure it was a little clustered with the amount of characters involved but it's understandable that they wanted to go with a fan-service root for the pilot to show off Engima, Oswald, Falcone, Pepper (Poison Ivy.)

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 25 Sep 2014, 6:39 pm

Bull wrote:Hhahha very true xD Especially with Fox always cancelling shows early and everything.

I'm still mad they cancelled Ben and Kate.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Thu 25 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

CFCNick wrote:
Bull wrote:Hhahha very true xD Especially with Fox always cancelling shows early and everything.

I'm still mad they cancelled Ben and Kate.

In Fox's defence they weren't totally misguided in cancelling Ben & Kate, it had pretty horrible 18-49 numbers for a freshman show.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:05 am

Wasnt blown away by the first episode. Granted happy to see were it goes, interesting they haven't followed the generic line of joe chill being the Wayne's killer, so looking forward to seeing how that plays out

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad either. Happy to go with it.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 14 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

I really liked it. We are only one episode in and already the programme has given us a good idea of how corrupt Gotham is from the average street thug to people in positions of authority. Jim Gordon really seems up against it. The only bit I didn't like was where...

***SPOILER WARNING***
Spoiler:

A good start IMO and looking forward to episode 2  OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 15 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

I'm watching it. Like it so far.

Spoiler:

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 15 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm

Can I make a quick request that people be clear in which episode(s) their spoilers are for? Here in the UK we have only had episode 1 so far, whereas in the US they are further in so potentially those watching there or via some online method will be further along. I am happy to read spoilers for episode 1, but wish to avoid later spoilers if possible.

I enjoyed it quite a lot really. I thought the first 10 minutes or so were a bit clunky (seemed to take the actors and McKenzie in particular a while to get into it) but then it flowed quite nicely. I also thought it was a bit too much of a pilot wanting to introduce all the villains in one episode. There seemed to real need for anyone but the Penguin and Falcone TBH. But I guess that's part of the issue with the pilot which has to kind of go "look what we've got in stall for you".

It's definitely got good potential, and good signs that the early ratings are solid so they should be able to do what they want with the material for at least the first couple of seasons without too much concern about being cut.

Looking forward to next week's episode.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Thu 16 Oct 2014, 4:54 am

Mike Selig wrote:It's definitely got good potential, and good signs that the early ratings are solid so they should be able to do what they want with the material for at least the first couple of seasons without too much concern about being cut.

The ratings look like the are about to settle in place for Gotham but 4 episodes in and its dropped week on week so still not seen the bottom yet. Its already got a full 22 episode order and I can't see how it doesn't get a second season based on the current situation at Fox but beyond that it depends on a few other factors. Personally think its gonna take Fox another few years to sort their schedule unless they get insanely lucky, as a result Gotham will get at least 4 seasons.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 20 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

I didn't make it half way through the first episode before I gave up. Found it to be pretty clunky and thought some of it felt quite contrived. I may revisit if the series has good reviews as it goes on though.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:56 am

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Darkly entertaining and very watchable.

Just the one quibble. Like Bull and Mike, I thought too many characters were crowbarred into the opener. I too understand the practical realities as to why but still wish it could have been otherwise and more left to be developed later in the series.

My star of the show so far has been the unknown (to me anyway) Robin Lord Taylor as Penguin. Brilliant display of cowardice and evil. Reminds me of another stunning performance in an earlier Fox production - that of Robert Knepper as the despicable T-Bag in Prison Break.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Thu 23 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

I really enjoyed it - Only watched the first episode so far but thought it was a great start and introduced the characters really well

Agree that Cobblepot was the standout in Ep 1 - For those that don't know Taylor played the character Sam in Walking Dead for a couple of episodes most recently the first episode of the new series

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Oct 2014, 4:35 pm

Not sure Will Smith's wife can act...is she the one they turn to when Halle Berry's busy? Also bemused by Sean Pertwee's full on cockney accent. Always though Alfred was more refined than that but overall, I'm enjoying it. Agree that Cobblepot is excellent though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Oct 2014, 7:03 pm

I really like the feel of the series.

Thought the second episode was more driven and focused. Agree with the general praise for Taylor.

I'd give it another shot Enforcer TBH; the first half of the first episode was comfortably the worst part of the series so far.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:34 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Not sure Will Smith's wife can act...is she the one they turn to when Halle Berry's busy? Also bemused by Sean Pertwee's full on cockney accent. Always though Alfred was more refined than that but overall, I'm enjoying it. Agree that Cobblepot is excellent though.

alfred is terrible, annoys me everytime he's on the screen

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Not sure Will Smith's wife can act...is she the one they turn to when Halle Berry's busy? Also bemused by Sean Pertwee's full on cockney accent. Always though Alfred was more refined than that but overall, I'm enjoying it. Agree that Cobblepot is excellent though.

I'd always wondered how Jada Smith had a career, now I know. Agree about Alfred too - he doesn't seem to have much of the wisdom or warmth I would associate with the character.

Am I the only one to have have been seriously confused by the character of Catwoman? I watched the whole first episode wondering how the hell they were going to account for her being about 30 when Bruce Wayne is only a child. I then looked her up on IMDB only to find out that she's 15.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

I'd always wondered how Jada Smith had a career, now I know. Agree about Alfred too - he doesn't seem to have much of the wisdom or warmth I would associate with the character.

Am I the only one to have have been seriously confused by the character of Catwoman? I watched the whole first episode wondering how the hell they were going to account for her being about 30 when Bruce Wayne is only a child. I then looked her up on IMDB only to find out that she's 15.
In an Operation Yewtree way? Bloody obvious it's a teenager ya sex-offender in training

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:08 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

In an Operation Yewtree way? Bloody obvious it's a teenager ya sex-offender in training

I was rather shocked when I found out. I was quiterelieved I hadn't made a comment to my wife. Anyway, she has a mature face. The lighting on the show was bad. My TV picture isn't very clear. Honestly officer, I swear I didn't know. Actually, hang on, you do work for the police don't you? Sh*t.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:10 am

I also found the Alfred character to be portrayed a lot nastier and foul tempered than the one from the Burton/Schumacher/Nolan/Animated series. Pertwee is a good actor but this is not one of his better roles

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 01 Dec 2014, 12:26 pm

Loved this line in last week's (UK shown) episode.

Harvey Bullock expressing contempt and amazement for Jim Gordon's latest plan -
''You sit down with a pack of chimpanzees and a bucket of crack and come up with that one?''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

This thread seems to have become a redundant so thought I'd comment. I got around to watching the Episode 10 last night which I thought was the best so far. So overall how did everyone enjoy the first 10 episodes? I think the show is really good and well paced (not too slow but not too fast either). Plus the first 10 episodes have introduced us to all the good and bad guys (90% are bad of course). I have struggled in the past to keep up with a series due to losing interest but this has really kept me watching fair do

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

I think Pertwee is brilliant as Alfred, I like the nastier approach to his character.

Anyone know when this is back on UK TV?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:03 am

Been catching up with this online, and now caught up with the states. What an episode last night!

Spoiler:

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 30 Sep 2015, 1:30 pm

Anyone know when Series 2 comes onto Channel 5? All I've been able to see is 'Coming Soon'

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum