The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quotas for Springboks by 2019?

+11
FerN
emack2
profitius
kingraf
No 7&1/2
Biltong
Bathman_in_London
fa0019
ScarletSpiderman
Geordie
Notch
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Quotas for Springboks by 2019? - Page 2 Empty Quotas for Springboks by 2019?

Post by Notch Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

ESPN wrote:Half of the Springboks' squad will have to be players of colour by 2019, according to transformation plans revealed in South African Sunday newspaper Rapport. In addition, 60% of that number will be required to be black African.
The plans will see a comprehensive overhaul of the current structure with the Springboks, Blitzboks, Junior Boks all affected, as well as teams in the Vodacom Cup, Currie Cup and Super Rugby tournaments. The target is for all representative teams to contain 50% players of colour within five years but Heyneke Meyer will be restricted as early as next year's World Cup by a requirement to select a side featuring at least five black players.Tendai Mtawarira was the only black African to start in their loss to Australia at the weekend.

According to the reports, the SARU executive council drew up the plans this year in the wake of heavy criticism from Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula and the Department of Sport over the lack of transformation in the make up of the Springboks' side.
Meyer will be encouraged to ensure there are at least seven players of colour in Springbok matchday squads, while SA Sevens' coach Neil Powell will be expected to carry out to a strict 40% non-white quota and Dawie Theron's Junior Boks have to contain at least 12 players of colour in his squad of 28 for the 2015 Junior World Championship in Portugal, four of whom must be black. The quotas will stretch to referees, coaches and administrators, too.

"It's a sustainable way to implement transformation in South African rugby," said Mervin Green, Saru's general manager for development. "Most of SARU's provinces have failed to yield results due to lack of proper talent identification and development programmes. The transformation plan will be monitored annually to identify barriers that have a negative impact on the implementation."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/southafrica/rugby/story/240477.html#xlR6RVUthYd1XrdQ.99

I don't see how this isn't going to damage the Springboks in the short term, whilst the talent identification and player base of no-white rugby players is behind what the quotas demand. I don't see how South Africa isn't going to have to leave some of their better players out to accommodate quota picks, at least initially, and it'll probably lead to more players leaving for Europe if they feel they can't get a fair shake.

But on the more positive side it'll really force heavy investment in spreading the game far and wide across South Africa in the long term. Is it worth it if fans of opposing teams are licking their lips at playing a diminished South Africa in the short term? Time will tell.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Quotas for Springboks by 2019? - Page 2 Empty Re: Quotas for Springboks by 2019?

Post by fa0019 Wed 10 Sep 2014, 1:58 pm

kingraf wrote:"I'm a citizen give my child an education"... well that's actually how it worked unless you were black. You seem to think I have a chip on my shoulder or something... I don't. I live a happy life. Got a pretty sweet paying job in media. Beautiful (Afrikaans) girlfriend who I genuinely can't see myself not marrying eventually, a lovely Fiesta... We still have the family home in Madrid, the farm in Limpopo. I'll probably inherit them all as the eldest. I'm good.

Never once said something about poverty being a uniquely South African thing. Been to the entire SADC region. Was nearly robbed at gunpoint in Malawi... Only reason they didn't take anything is because my fan belt broke and there was no way they could take it. Been to Ethiopia as well, twice. I've seen poverty. I'm quite chuffed with my lot.

Yes it was how it worked but does that apply today? That doesn't apply to kids in education today. Perhaps you say whites go to better schools, perhaps thats true but its not just because of poverty. Our friends live in Atlantis. They choose to, they raise their kids there, they earn the same amount of money as we do but they choose to live there because their family all live there.

King, I don't think or thought you ever had a chip on your shoulder and I apologises if you thought my retorts were directed towards you... they weren't but to society and to kids today. To be honest I had never really thought about your race until your last post. Always assumed you were a chap from up north like Bill who supports a neaderthal SR rugby team, still do in fact Wink

Maybe its because I'm a foreigner. I don't have apartheid guilt and came from a background where the colour of your skin/your background was less of an issue to success/failure.
But the idea to re-address the system by cutting off your own head is not right... but that is what is happening. If SA is to succeed and become a true multi-cutural society for all then it will only do so by utilising all their skills, not dumping some because they don't look right...

thats just the same laws as the past but in reverse. Repackage it however you like, its exactly the same.

If the government really wanted to help kids they could. But its not in their interest to educate the masses as they don't want that. They don't want people to realise its really just an old boys club like the NP. They could enforce or subsidise masse scholarships for the best and the brightest kids in the top public schools? Do they, do they hell

The top leaders in the ANC cream off the top in such a gross fashion. The deputy president went from nothing to one of the richest men in Africa... how, by being given shares in companies, by winning tenders whilst being in charge of those who decide who gets what... thats corruption. Cyril is a USD billionaire.... thats not money out of private enterprise, thats ownership of state contracts... thats public money. It's corruption at its worst. Money that could go to improve the lives of thousands.

How many kids could Cyril educate with say a 10th of his net worth which he has stolen from his people. How many does he? I would bet shed loads its a big fat zero. How many politicans have you heard of looking after kids? Its a rotten system, a system to keep people poor and only poor people will vote for them.

Kids like Mandela will never rise again.... guys who were talented yet cash poor (he only had high social standing).... how can they make it? They may do well, but can they achieve their potential? No because their is no infrastructure out there to identify those who can take SA forward. But thats the states responsibility. The self, the family how do they care.

I see the south african mentality from my own family and friends to be one where they say well, my kids go to school, I pay good money to educate my children so thats me done. If the kids do well I take credit, if not well their school let them down but in essence they wash their hands of responsibility completely. No wonder it breeds kids who can't take responsibility for their own actions and subsequent success/failure.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Quotas for Springboks by 2019? - Page 2 Empty Re: Quotas for Springboks by 2019?

Post by kingraf Wed 10 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

Im not a ANC supporter... or apologist. My mum unfortunately, i suppose, still works in government... and it's a horror story of ineptude. Just this weekend a Deputy minister called the Public Protector a CIA agent. It shows an embarrassing political naivety to suggest your top trade partner is trying to destabilise you (of course it's not actually past the Yanks)... But these Faux pas continue because we have a liberation party trying to run a democracy. Mandela once said any forward moving country must be run by people who had the privilege of education. Instead, ANC moved forward like a guerrilla party, rewarding loyalty. They've probably also handled COSATU and similar trade unions wrong, and with smoother unions, we might and probably would have been $150-$200b better off with our GDP.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 10 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

Im not a ANC supporter... or apologist. My mum unfortunately, i suppose, still works in government... and it's a horror story of ineptude. Just this weekend a Deputy minister called the Public Protector a CIA agent. It shows an embarrassing political naivety to suggest your top trade partner is trying to destabilise you (of course it's not actually past the Yanks)... But these Faux pas continue because we have a liberation party trying to run a democracy. Mandela once said any forward moving country must be run by people who had the privilege of education. Instead, ANC moved forward like a guerrilla party, rewarding loyalty. They've probably also handled COSATU and similar trade unions wrong, and with smoother unions, we might and probably would have been $150-$200b better off with our GDP.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 10 Sep 2014, 2:53 pm

From an outsider with a unique perspective its dire. 20 years ago you had lawyers, doctors, economists, professors all leading the campaign.... and today its been run by thugs and cronies.

The party of yesteryear would cry with dispair if they saw what it had become, what had happened to the nation.

When you see that 3 of the most powerful politicans in the ANC Zuma, Ramaphosa and Sexwale are also amongst the richest men in SA... all who 20 years ago had less than a penny in their pocket its a sad state of affairs.

Yet the old food basket and bashing of white farmers, CIA agents and any other assocated with the white regime continues to maintain their health for now. It will eventually come crashing down but don't expect the transition to be as peaceful (relatively) as the one which occurred in 1994 when it does). Although it won't happen soon. Can't see it happening in next 10 years.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:10 pm

In the UK we have officially 2,370,000 unemployed they are vilified as being benefits scroungers.Many employed are part time on a minimum wage of just £6.135 an hour
with no guaranteed hourly contract,no sick pay or paid holidays.or on courses,or just
out of school on workfare schemes.
The Government is run by the Oxbridge/Public School Mafia and owned by the
aristocracy as it has always been.Poverty is a way of life in all countries and
2.000,000 relying on food banks of food distributed by charities is a disgrace for
a civilised country.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 11 Sep 2014, 6:35 am

When the press asked about the players yesterday here in NZ the press BULLY stopped the coach and players commentating on it. Thats politics.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:06 pm

emack2 wrote:In the UK we have officially 2,370,000 unemployed they are vilified as being benefits scroungers.Many employed are part time on a minimum wage of just £6.135 an hour
with no guaranteed hourly contract,no sick pay or paid holidays.or on courses,or just
2.000,000 relying on food banks of food distributed by charities is a disgrace for
a civilised country.
A country of 66 million having 2 million unemployed and a country of 51 million having seven million unemployed indicates that the severity isn't really equitable.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:23 pm

emack2 wrote:In the UK we have officially 2,370,000 unemployed they are vilified as being benefits scroungers.Many employed are part time on a minimum wage of just £6.135 an hour
a civilised country.

- Just to put in perspective -

Hmm, minimum wage for domestic workers in SA is £0.465 an hour.  There are other work where the wage is even lower.  Median income for SA is £157 a month where the median graduate income is under £1000, I guess.  So a full time minimum wage work in UK is equivalent to graduate work in SA.  But some other things is cheaper here in any case, and the cost of living so a direct comparison like that isn't really fair.  

But our poor doesn't have food banks etc and the grants some do get is not enough to even feed more than one person from what I can remember.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:55 pm

Domestic workers earn more than that. My domestic lady earns R150 a day and she works 7 and a half hours a day.

She gets a full bonus at Christmas and her and her Son gets additional money on their birthdays, plus he gets a reward from me every semester when his report card is good.

We also give her food to take home and bought her a TV and microwave.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:06 pm

Biltong wrote:Domestic workers earn more than that. My domestic lady earns R150 a day and she works 7 and a half hours a day.

She gets a full bonus at Christmas and her and her Son gets additional money on their birthdays, plus he gets a reward from me every semester when his report card is good.

We also give her food to take home and bought her a TV and microwave.

I also pay mine more than that - About R162.50 a day for 4 hours, but that is what the minimum wage is. But they do list places where the minimum wage should at least be R11 something an hour.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Sep 2014, 6:26 pm

I don't have a cleaner... My girlfriend's undiagnosed OCD is more than adequate.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:24 am

kingraf wrote:I don't have a cleaner... My girlfriend's undiagnosed OCD is more than adequate.

Trust me, that doesn't get better when she becomes your wife!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

kingraf, if you don't mind me asking, where is the family home in Madrid? Don't worry, I'm not looking to squat in it: my house is being built in San Sebastian de los Reyes as we speak but my wife also has a place at the moment which we'll be looking to sell. It's just that Madrid doesn't come up much on this site and I don't have anything to add from an outsider's perspectives about SA politics.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 12 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

We have a home in Chamberi. Haven't been for three odd years. in fact until two weeks ago, I hadn't been to Madrid in three odd years (and I only went because it was the connecting flight). It's a humble home, Four bedrooms, two bathrooms... Not too far from city centre. My aunt (my dad's youngest sister) and her kids squat there now..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 12 Sep 2014, 6:09 pm

Cheers, mate. Anything within the M-30 is the city centre! And anything within the M-30 with four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms is not a humble home!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 12 Sep 2014, 6:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Cheers, mate. Anything within the M-30 is the city centre! And anything within the M-30 with four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms is not a humble home!

Indeed, he bought in the early 90s, late 80s I believe. House prices were a little bit more manageable I suppose. expensive place Madrid. Our Family farm is probably much more opulent, and it probably only costs a fraction of the Madrid home. Can't be doing too badly yourself if you're building a home in Sanse in 2014
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 12 Sep 2014, 6:54 pm

Some things are expensive in Madrid and property is certainly one of them!

Good time to buy or build. The crisis has seen a big drop.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 12 Sep 2014, 7:04 pm

Must confess to not keeping up to date with life in Spain. Indeed, I don't really feel any tangible connection to the place. I suspect I hold a petty grudge at being the only one amongst my siblings who can't hold a Spanish passport. My dad is naturalised, and my sisters were born there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

Understandable. Sounds like you've got a great setup back there. But if you decide to visit one day, you're at an age to make the most of what Madrid has to offer .

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2