The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus backline depth underrated?

4 posters

Go down

Aus backline depth underrated? Empty Aus backline depth underrated?

Post by The Saint Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:01 pm

Australia's backline today 9-15: Phipps, Foley, Horne, Toomua, Kuridrani, AAC, Folau. It's a great backline. Also there's guys like Beale on the bench who could probably walk into any international team (at No.15). The Wallabies for various reasons are without Genia, Cooper, Giteau, Cummins, Ioane, JOC, Barnes; players that can turn a game on its head. It's also worth a mention that David Pocock at No.7 is no longer available. I don't any other team could cope without losing these players within the space of 1-2 seasons.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Aus backline depth underrated? Empty Re: Aus backline depth underrated?

Post by Guest Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm

Genia and Ioane were class IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:45 pm

I wouldn't call that a great backline at all.

Need to see Henry Speight in there. Cummins has retired from the Wallabies. I'd prefer a confident on-form Genia to Phipps but I fear it will be a long wait! Cooper has struggled for quite some time and JOC will have to prove himself all over again with the Reds next season. He's not what we need right now unless there has been some miraculous change of attitude. Barnes will never play for the team again. Ditto Digby and Gits.

Hopefully Pocock will return but will he be the same player? God we have missed him. Australia have had a truly dreadful run of injuries in the forwards. I'd like to see Higginbotham back. Palu was ordinary from what I saw tonight. Our entire front row and locks also struggle against better opposition.

Also have doubts about Ewen McKenzie. Not sure if he is so astute concerning the finer points of the game. Would be great if Cheika could somehow usurp him. Better rugby brain, imo.

Did I leave anybody out? Oh yes.... the physio team.  No actually they are doing a great job. Wink

So we are well and truly up against it at the moment. The win against the Boks tonight was a Pyrrhic victory and anyone who thinks that we may have turned the corner is kidding themselves.

I know I sound very harsh and negative but there are so many holes in that Wallaby team it depresses me to watch them play. I'm just praying for miracles next year at the RWC but I won't be surprised to see them crash and burn when opportunities arise and the door is left wide open. There are far too many errors in their game still and they are mostly rubbish to watch.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 06 Sep 2014, 6:49 pm

Harsh on Giteau, I think if he stayed in Aus he would have improved and been back on the radar at some point. Barnes burst onto the scene and was a good players, he's consistent at best and I can't remember him ever letting Australia down. Not sure what Digs did, he was quality. Genia and Cooper must be on some pretty low form if they're left out, that was a tasty halfback pair.
What about Ben Mowen? I think he still had a few years as a Wallaby left.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 06 Sep 2014, 11:27 pm

I think several international teams could cope with those many players of that sort out!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:19 am

Saint, you keep referring to players who have either made their decision to quit the Wallabies or have unfortunately succumbed to injury.

The fact that they've had to draw upon inexperienced players to fill these voids has definitely handicapped us but on the flip side; these guys have done their best to try and step up as they are prematurely called into the side and blooded at international level.

If it's those players you are referring to as under-rated, then yes, the fact they have been thrown into the deep end and forced to adapt to the step up in level has been a positive thing I suppose. But I would have preferred to have seen a relatively more stable and established Wallaby side take the field over the last 5-7 years or so.

I don't dispute that we could have been in a position right now (or in recent years) of having a much stronger side with more depth across all positions. But look at SA with their exodus of up to 300 players over the last decade or so - to practically every major rugby nation - except NZ of course.

CJ,
You mean "don't" think....?
If so, yeah I agree but England (and most other teams) have had to make some unplanned player adjustments too.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 07 Sep 2014, 1:22 pm

I think that's a pretty average backline tbh, Toomau & Kurindrani are very ordinary.

Aus have lost masses of talent to big bucks elsewhere, they're doing ok but could be so much better.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 07 Sep 2014, 5:41 pm

England, NZ and (on paper) France could all lose those players and put out comparable sides. With Aus it's more impressive due to their relatively smaller pool of players though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down