The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana

+8
sittingringside
bellchees
mobilemaster8
Hammersmith harrier
JabMachineMK2
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
catchweight
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana Empty Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:10 pm

The WBC have released this statement:

"The WBC has decided to step forward and support yet another pinnacle in the history-making career of Floyd Mayweather Jr. Floyd is the only fighter ever to conquer WBC championships in five different weight categories as well as winning the WBC Diamond Belt and Solid Gold Belt. Further, Floyd has the distinction of being one of the few champions who has received the WBC "Emeritus Champion" status.

Marcos Maidana is without a doubt a fighter who has created his own history in the sport. This past May, Marcos performed like no Mayweather opponent had in many years. That makes the September 13 rematch a very attractive event where Maidana could become the WBC Welter and Super Welter Champion of the world."

The fight will take place at the welterweight limit. It looks like this is just an arrangement to allow Mayweather to hold onto both titles by marking this as an official defence of his light middleweight title without actually facing a light middleweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana Empty Re: Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Do the WBC have any other divisions vacant? If so can they also be at stake?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana Empty Re: Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Great stuff................The greatest fighter of his generation and a top 10 of the sport being honored and rightly so..

Love it....Hope he picks another stiff after Maidana...

Louis and hagler fought stiffs so why not !! Wink Wink Wink Cool Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

How can the 154lb belt be at stake when a) it isn't the weight class they're fighting at and b) a weight class Maidana has never fought at?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is this to get 2 sanctioning fees?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Leonard - Lalonde fought at 168 and the 175 title was at stake..

Learn your history Son..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Who really cares, the belts don't mean a lot in a fight like this anyway.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Leonard - Lalonde fought at 168 and the 175 title was at stake..

Learn your history Son..

Doesn't make it right Truss. Just because something has happened in the past it does not automatically mean any instance of it happening again automatically becomes exempt from criticism.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Who cares......No one takes Boxing seriously..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Berg challenged Canzoneri for his lightweight title while simultaneously defending his light welterweight title, that didn't stop many publications at the time from still considering him the champion despite losing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Boxing is a joke...........and alphabets are just interested in money......

Why we are a bunch of diehards on here....

Haz is right titles are a joke these days............However I don't buy all this linear crap either.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Am I right in thinking if any of us can think of a historical precedent for something happening in the sport we can use it to nullify and dismiss any displeasure anyone has with something that happens in the modern game?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Its fine Rowley, let him have his little pop.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Rowley wrote:Am I right in thinking if any of us can think of a historical precedent for something happening in the sport we can use it to nullify and dismiss any displeasure anyone has with something that happens in the modern game?

Only if you put .............. or !!!!!!! after it

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Rowley wrote:Am I right in thinking if any of us can think of a historical precedent for something happening in the sport we can use it to nullify and dismiss any displeasure anyone has with something that happens in the modern game?

That's an interesting question.......Getting sensitive in your old age...

I like Mayweather the fighter...You don't....

As for the other two squirts they should just read and learn !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:36 pm

This is the level of debate we get on here when Floyd is discussed, you're only saying that because you don't like him. Kind of makes you appreciate why 99% of posters avoid the subject like the plague.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 pm

But it is relevant...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Does make me laugh thought Truss, you have previously decried the cheapening of world titles and rightly pointed out they are things that people have died trying to secure such titles, however when the WBC in its infinite wisdom choose to give one of their belts away in a fight that is not even happening in the division concerned it is a fitting honour to the best fighter of his generation. Not one of your more consistent stances that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Some over sensitive Mayweather types on here..........

Cant say I blame them..........

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Personal preference does come into it with every boxer for good and for bad.

Moby with Quigg and Brook despite the latter proving him wrong
Haz with Golovkin and Hagler
Myself with Froch and Lewis
Truss with Curry and Mayweather
Catchweight with Hopkins
etc. etc.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I was being a bit facetious............(It means sarcastic.....Jabby and catchy)

Just endless negative Mayweather dribble on here......

Who cares anyway.................Boxing is a joke.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Like to think I am fairly even handed with Floyd, said I wanted him to fight Alvarez and praised him when he agreed to do so, also did not diminish the win after the event, as others chose to do. Also did not join in with those claiming he got lucky first time against MM, watched the fight, thought Floyd deserved the nod and said just that.

Far too easy to say "you don't like him", get out of jail when you know the other person has a point, and a 154 belt being on the line for a welterweight fight is balls, irrespective of who is involved in the fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 pm

I like to think I add balance Rowley...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Personal preference does come into it with every boxer for good and for bad.

Catchweight with Hopkins
etc. etc.

That's fair enough................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I was being a bit facetious............(It means sarcastic.....Jabby and catchy)

Just endless negative Mayweather dribble on here......

Who cares anyway.................Boxing is a joke.

What does sarcastic mean?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Rowley wrote:Does make me laugh thought Truss, you have previously decried the cheapening of world titles and rightly pointed out they are things that people have died trying to secure such titles, however when the WBC in its infinite wisdom choose to give one of their belts away in a fight that is not even happening in the division concerned it is a fitting honour to the best fighter of his generation. Not one of your more consistent stances that one.

My view of titles then and now have changed..............I think they are pointless which is a shame.........

Especially for kell Brook who won a decent title against a decent fighter...............He'll have to go down in history with the WBO crap over here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Like it hammer....."the latter proving him wrong"

I deserved that.

Glad I was proved wrong though as I said.

Still don't rate him that highly yet until he fights maybe a couple more decent names.

Has a great jab mind!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:07 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Like it hammer....."the latter proving him wrong"

I deserved that.

Glad I was proved wrong though as I said.

Still don't rate him that highly yet until he fights maybe a couple more decent names.

Has a great jab mind!!

Wasn't one of your better week's Moby !!..............Just like the week I told everyone Biggs was going to school Tyson.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Haha fair one Truss.

Was not as bad as my "Martinez will hammer Cotto no later than 6".....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha fair one Truss.

Only one poster on here got that one right.............................Anyway I'm off to bed with Milky's wife !! Mayweathers WBC 154lb title will also be at stake against Maidana 3559488474

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Haha always a pleasure!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:23 am

Rowley wrote:Do the WBC have any other divisions vacant? If so can they also be at stake?

Why wait until a belt is vacant, they stripped Ward and Martinez the first chance they got might as well put Stivernes belt on the line, unless Vitali still has it in a state of infinite dibs.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Leonard - Lalonde fought at 168 and the 175 title was at stake..

Learn your history Son..

I believe the circumstances were unique in that case since it was the inaugral sanctioning of super middleweight title by the WBC, since it was the first time it had been fought for, and since previously the fighters would have been contesting the light-heavy title had they come in at the stipulated weight. Leonard was made to give up the light heavy title soon after I believe. It's actually a really entertaining fight as well.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 am

You're wrong and you know it..

Leonard never fought at 175 again........Handpicked Duran and Hearns and then lost to Norris and a fat Camacho..At 168/168/154/154..

It was just so Leonard could be the first Man to win 5 titles at different weights Mate...as well you know.

Buttering him up because he was a huge earner like Floyd !!........

All about money and two sanctioning fees.............

Boxing = Money......Principles If they ever existed are gone now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am

Rowley wrote:Does make me laugh thought Truss, you have previously decried the cheapening of world titles and rightly pointed out they are things that people have died trying to secure such titles, however when the WBC in its infinite wisdom choose to give one of their belts away in a fight that is not even happening in the division concerned it is a fitting honour to the best fighter of his generation. Not one of your more consistent stances that one.

Truss? Consistency??

I assume that was meant to be an ironic comment Rowls?!?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:01 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Truss? Consistency??

I'm married and Chris is taken.......Time to look elsewhere Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Personal preference does come into it with every boxer for good and for bad.

Catchweight with Hopkins
etc. etc.

My favourite ever is still Mackem with Rigo.

Lectured everyone on here for months about how perfect/amazing/legendary he was. Faced a torrent of kick-back from the Donaire love-in on here and then, that night, got proved right!!

Stayed up to watch that one live and my first thought when the result was announced was Mackem passing out in his chair in Sunderland having celebratorily doused himself in special brew.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Truss? Consistency??

I'm married and Chris is taken.......Time to look elsewhere Mate.

You're married, Chris is taken, and you're never consistent - some things never change!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08 am

I love the way you stalk me on current boxing threads......

Anything pre-2010 and you are noticeable by your absence... laughing laughing laughing laughing

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:21 am

This site didn't exist pre-2010........

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha fair one Truss.

Here are some of my good and bad ones.............

Tyson ko 4 Holmes thumbsup
Curry ko 5 Mccrory thumbsup
Holy ko 6 Douglas thumbsup
Spinks w15 qawi thumbsup

Hatton ko 6 Manny laughing
Biggs w 12 Tyson laughing
Holmes ko 2 Spinks laughing
Bramble ko 8 Rosario laughing

More bad ones than good ones................Lost more pocket money to my brother than I got in return.......For sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am

Jesus Truss.

Some bad ones there mate! :-)

I think ive had some similar:

Hatton UD Pacquiao

Martinez KO Cotto

Khan UD Garcia

Dawson UD Stevenson

All of the above were supposed to cruise to victory in my comments on them with a couple of scares along the way.

Ended up being completely way off and out of pocket!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am

Picking Margarito to weather the early storm, walk through Cotto's shots, wear him down and take him out late in their first fight was one of my better predictions.....Saying he'd do the same in their rematch was one of my worst.

Oh, and Mayweather defending his 154 lb belts in this fight is a load of pointless hogwash, by the way!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 am

Hatton - Cotto was a fight I'd love to have seen.........at 140...

Pickem for me.....or maybe 60-40 Cotto..

Missed a good one there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hatton - Cotto was a fight I'd love to have seen.........at 140...

So would I but only if the cruiserweight belt was also on the line.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 am

Rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hatton - Cotto was a fight I'd love to have seen.........at 140...

So would I but only if the cruiserweight belt was also on the line.

Why cruiser ?? welter was the next one up...

You're full of surprises Rowley

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hayemaker Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

It makes more sense for Mayweather to have both titles on the line. If Maidana wins then he should get both titles. Winner takes all. It wouldnt make sense for Mayweather to keep one title if he lost. If he loses, he loses. Not going to happen though. He will school Maidana next time.

hayemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Was anyone actually looking at the belts in this fight anyway? Forgive me if I sound naïve but isn’t every Mayweather fight for the last few years purely about taking his 0? I'd consider myself a hardcore fan and I lose track of which belts are held by which champion these days anyway so god knows what a casual fan makes of it. I see logic with the likes of Brit and Euro belts but the numerous governing bodies and the fancy "diamond" and "Solid Gold" rubbish just confuses people.

Side question though, what's with the Everlast gloves thing? I think Floyd would win regardless and Maidana signed the fight knowing this would probably be enforced, I also know the champ has always called the shots but come on! Maidana should be allowed to wear the approved gloves that suit his game and if Floyd wants approved gloves with extra padding then so be it.

What gets me is that Floyd calls himself "TBE" and like most I have him as my number 1 p4p whereas I have Maidana outside the current top 10. If Floyd really wants to live up to that title just let Maidana have his approved gloves. Maidana's camp will make sure they have the required padding this time if they really didn't last time, although I never know quite what to believe. It might do something to spice up the rematch a bit too as I can't say I'm excited.

Maidana signed the contract, I get that, but I'm disappointed in Floyd as this really should be inconsequential if you're "TBE".

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:29 pm

DuransHorse wrote:Maidana signed the contract, I get that, but I'm disappointed in Floyd as this really should be inconsequential if you're "TBE".

Simple fact is, he isn't.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:44 pm

He is if "TBE" stands for "THE Bell End"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

DuransHorse wrote:Was anyone actually looking at the belts in this fight anyway?  Forgive me if I sound naïve but isn’t every Mayweather fight for the last few years purely about taking his 0? I'd consider myself a hardcore fan and I lose track of which belts are held by which champion these days anyway so god knows what a casual fan makes of it.  I see logic with the likes of Brit and Euro belts but the numerous governing bodies and the fancy "diamond" and "Solid Gold" rubbish just confuses people.

Side question though, what's with the Everlast gloves thing?  I think Floyd would win regardless and Maidana signed the fight knowing this would probably be enforced, I also know the champ has always called the shots but come on! Maidana should be allowed to wear the approved gloves that suit his game and if Floyd wants approved gloves with extra padding then so be it.  

What gets me is that Floyd calls himself "TBE" and like most I have him as my number 1 p4p whereas I have Maidana outside the current top 10.  If Floyd really wants to live up to that title just let Maidana have his approved gloves.  Maidana's camp will make sure they have the required padding this time if they really didn't last time, although I never know quite what to believe.  It might do something to spice up the rematch a bit too as I can't say I'm excited.

Maidana signed the contract, I get that, but I'm disappointed in Floyd as this really should be inconsequential if you're "TBE".

I just look at 16/17 years at the top level unbeaten......and sack the titles..

No boxer in history can match that !!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next