The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADAM JONES SIGNS FOR BLUES

+13
Stone Motif
Poorfour
Chunky Norwich
Steffan
bedfordwelsh
Kingshu
Seagultaf
Allty
Jhamer25
George Carlin
XR
Scrumpy
PenfroPete
17 posters

Go down

ADAM JONES SIGNS FOR BLUES Empty ADAM JONES SIGNS FOR BLUES

Post by PenfroPete Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28856090

"Wales and British and Irish Lions prop Adam Jones has signed for Cardiff Blues.

The surprise move was confirmed after the region tweeted a picture of their squad that included the former Osprey.

Jones, 33, left the Swansea-based region at the end of 2013-14.

He was expected to re-sign for Ospreys if and when the dispute between the Welsh Rugby Union and Wales' four regions comes to an end. But 95-times-capped Jones has instead moved east. "

Last edited by PenfroPete on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

ADAM JONES SIGNS FOR BLUES Empty Re: ADAM JONES SIGNS FOR BLUES

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:49 pm

What a waste of a signing. If you were Mitchell or Andrews with their own ambitions, you shouldn't be happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Great news, Gethin and Adam in the same team.

Surely this means that a Welsh Region will finally win Europe's main prize?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Risca Rev wrote:What a waste of a signing. If you were Mitchell or Andrews with their own ambitions, you shouldn't be happy.

Andrews has had a few years to stamp his claim on the 3 shirt to take over from Filise but has never done so. The scrum is still an area of weakness for the blues and to get AJ on a years contract will see us through the next year. We need competition for places as Andrews wasn't doing the job and Filise is a loosehead who has done a job at tight.

Good signing IMO

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Very difficult to describe getting Adam Jones as anything other than a good signing.

The boy needs to get his fitness back, though. I presume his gametime will be managed carefully.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Well I didn't see that coming.

Good singing for the blues is he can regain form and fitness. I don't know what to think for Craig Mitchell because I was hoping for him to kick on from last season. I don't know who will be first choice at the moment but either way you look at it, the blues have some great options for next season.
Gethin jenkins, Matthew Rees and Adam Jones in the same club team, not bad I say.
As for Andrews he is being filise in the pecking order so i'm not even considering him. He has let the blues down so many times in the past.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Risca Rev wrote:What a waste of a signing. If you were Mitchell or Andrews with their own ambitions, you shouldn't be happy.

Mitchell yes, Andrews no.

I've never been impressed with Andrews' performances for the Blues, no international prop should EVER be lifted up in the scrum horizontally. But that's what happened against Toulon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

With the likelihood that they have probably upset the Ospreys somewhat, it's not that advisable a signing (in my opinion). Given his struggles the past season, I can't see him being first choice at the Blues.

That said, he probably wouldn't have been at the Ospreys either, but they evidently did want to keep him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Could this upset the applecart come the agreement? Could the WRU have had a hand in this?

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:39 pm

[quote="Neutralee"]Could this upset the applecart come the agreement? Could the WRU have had a hand in this?[/quote]

Without a doubt its 100% down to Roger Lewis

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Neutralee wrote:Could this upset the applecart come the agreement? Could the WRU have had a hand in this?

Certainly smells of the Dodger's meddling! The Blues are certainly splashing the cash, I supose they have some funds available after, Halfpenny, Bradly and Warbrton having left.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
Neutralee wrote:Could this upset the applecart come the agreement? Could the WRU have had a hand in this?

Certainly smells of the Dodger's meddling! The Blues are certainly splashing the cash, I supose they have some funds available after, Halfpenny, Bradly and Warbrton having left.

I felt a little stupid asking the question, love a good conspiracy me, however you really think someone at the WRU could have had a hand in this for the purpose of divide and conquer?

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:04 pm

I'd have though Ospreys fans would be raging at this news

Is this a WRU divide and conquer?

Blues have Warbutton on a central contact and seam to have poached Adam Jones, could they fall out with the other regions?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm

IronMike wrote:

Mitchell yes, Andrews no.

I've never been impressed with Andrews' performances for the Blues, no international prop should EVER be lifted up in the scrum horizontally. But that's what happened against Toulon.

Mitchell has never impressed me either and he seems to have a bit of a stupidity streak in him as well. getting Jones on a 1 year contract is a good signing IMO.

I also think the Os will struggle this year, Tandy is out of depth and something just doesn't seem right down there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:00 am

Kingshu wrote:Blues have Warbutton on a central contact and seam to have poached Adam Jones, could they fall out with the other regions?
I doubt it. The only reason Adam Jones is at Cardiff is because none of the other teams in Wales could afford his wage. Pieman is clearly in with Rodger Lewis though hence the Warburton situation. But its obvious the people down at Swansea could not afford the Jones wage

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 am

Neutralee wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

I felt a little stupid asking the question, love a good conspiracy me, however you really think someone at the WRU could have had a hand in this for the purpose of divide and conquer?

Frankly I would be astonished if Roger the Dodger did not have a hand in this! He is clearly treating the Blues differently to the other regions, maybe he is a Blues supporter, or is it about creating division?

When the Scarlets asked for help to keep George North in Wales, Roger said yes, but only if he plays for the Blues. Strong rumours that Alan Wyn Jones had the same offer. Both these players had the integrity to turn down these offers, which clearly had many strings attached. I supose it's no real surprise that when Gatland says he wants Anscombe, its to the Blues he goes.

The Warburton saga is a different matter though, apparently the WRU outbid the Blues for his services! I suspect that this though is a completely different strategy but with the same aim, to weaken the Regions. These tactics are showing signs of increasing desperation, could it be that Roger is beginning to see the writing on the wall?

It's begining to look that the only chance of any solution to the current WRU v Regions crisis will involve changes in the leadership of the WRU.

I'm not sure how much division this action will cause, Adam was out of contract and a free agent, so probably not a lot. Unless of course the WRU are helping the Blues financially and treating them differently to the other regions, now if that's the case, that will cause division!!!!!!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Adam-Jones-writes-open-letter-Ospreys-fans/story-22786581-detail/story.html

"It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter, explaining why I am leaving my home region and thanking you all for your support over the years.

I don't say that glibly. Every player goes through bad times as well as good during his career, and the brilliant thing about Ospreys' supporters is that they have always been there for me when things haven't been going as well as I might have wanted. I will appreciate that for the rest of my career and beyond. It has been quality all the way.

I'll cut to the chase and tell you how I have ended up joining the Blues.

As pretty much the whole world and his wife will know by now, I had been waiting for a deal to be struck between the regions and the Welsh Rugby Union, over a new participation agreement, so the Ospreys could conclude a fresh contract with me.

I haven't been getting any money, but I was just hoping that the row that has blighted Welsh rugby for so long could be finally settled and I could pull on the black shirt again.

Then on Sunday morning I received a call from the Blues asking whether I fancied a move there. I had to think long and hard about their proposal because I know all about regional rivalry and how much it matters in Wales.

But my circumstances were such that I didn't feel I could turn Cardiff down. I haven't been paid for two months and the season is barely a fortnight away. I need to be properly attached to a team and training with a group of players in readiness for the new campaign.

I couldn't wait forever. The contract with the Ospreys has been on the table since January but without signatures it meant only so much.

No-one is to blame. Andrew Hore and Steve Tandy have been straight down the line with me throughout the negotiations. They haven't messed me about and I don't think I have messed anyone about, either.

Like I say, the region have meant the world to me. I want to thank Mike Cuddy and Roger Blyth for helping to set up the Ospreys in the first place and then doing so much to drive them forward. It has been a privilege to play alongside such great players as Alun Wyn Jones, Shane Williams, Filo Tiatia and many others. There have been great times and I have made friendships that will last a lifetime and I count people like Tandy and Andy Lloyd as my best mates as well.

The Ospreys' result will always be one I look out for before any others.

They are going through a rebuilding phase, but with someone like Alun Wyn there, an immense presence in every respect, I still expect them to be pushing for a play-off place in the Pro12.

There are also a lot of young players at the region who are going to make Welsh rugby sit up and take notice in the years ahead.

But a new chapter starts for me now and I'm just glad I'll be able to focus on rugby again.

The Blues had a tough season last time but they have made some new signings, have a highly respected director of rugby from New Zealand and are determined to go places. They have beefed up the front five, which was important, and I think Josh Turnbull's signing in the back row could prove huge for them.

On the negative side I am going to have to put up with Gethin (Jenkins) again. Only kidding. He is a great player and it will be good to figure alongside him and Smiler (Matthew Rees) in the front row.

I am not taking my place for granted, though. The Blues have brought in Craig Mitchell and have depth throughout the front five. I know I will have to hit form quickly if I am to play.

It has been a pleasure to feature for the Ospreys over the years and, as I have said, I sincerely want to register my appreciation to all concerned. The Liberty is a big stadium that is hard to fill, but the fans are brilliant and I hope everyone will understand why I have arrived at my decision.

All the best for the future."
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 am

Village idiots of world rugby.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:55 am

Well I hope he brings at least some of that passion when putting on the Blues jersey, not interested in half arsed performances

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:58 pm

I can understand why he's made the move - the man needs to put bread on the table. I have to say it feels risky - he's at the end of his career and from what I have seen has struggled with the new engagement laws. On the other hand, his likely partners in (attempted) crime are his international colleagues, so he should be able to settle in more quickly than other props who've changed clubs.

I guess for the Blues if he fills a hole in the short term it is a risk worth taking. I imagine he'll put some bums on seats, too.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

So with both the Blues and Dragons making good signings and Scarlet's not losing much and now finally have a complete pack, Where does this leave the Ospreys?
They have lost leading players and have made no exciting signings.
Two seasons ago the Ospreys had a pack that could dominate Europe and a scrum no team could budge. However, both of these elements have been taken away. Is it just me who can see them being the region who finishes last next season.
This is what the strongest team is, in Tandy's mind.
1. Ryan Bevington
2. Scott Baldwin
3. Aaron Jarvis
4. Alyn Wyn Jones
5. James King
6. Sam Lewis
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Dan Baker

9. Rhys Webb
10. Dan Biggar
11. Eli Walker
12. Ashley Beck
13. Andrew Bishop
14. Hanno Dirkson
15. Sam Davies

Now that team is short on fire power up front and flair in the backs. This is what Tandy will consider to be his strongest team but i just don't understand some of his position choices.
Jarvis really struggle last season with the new scrum laws and he should consider bringing through Nicky Thomas early like we did with Samson Lee (look how well that turned out), Nicky Thomas has been the best prop int he U20's world cup for the past two years.
James King IS NOT a second row, he isn't physical or big enough for the position. Yes he has a good work rate but then he would also pick two 7's in Sam Lewis and Tipuric. Why not pick a strong mobile blindside flanker in Morgan Allen, Tyler Ardron or Bearman; should be either Lewis or Tipuric.
As for the backs, the Ospreys have been very unlucky with centers and if Ashley beck and Eli Walker can keep fit they do have attacking prowess. Personally, i would have Natoga ahead of Dirkson as well. He will also play Sam at fullback which is another position choice i can't understand; Fussell is a very under rate payer in my eyes.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Think they'll still be strong in the scrum. Also think Dan Evans will probably start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Not a chance will they be bottom welsh region either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Not a chance will they be bottom welsh region either.
Yeah, that's our tag and we're not giving it up without a smorgasbord of collapsed scrums and tries conceded from driving line-outs.

The O's do look proper sh1t next season mind, if anyone is going to take our crown it's them.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 pm

I don't think they'll do well, but the Blouse were dire last season (on the whole) and still caught us up. Think they'll still somehow make a pack out of what they have (Ospreys).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 am

You have to think just how bad are Ospreys, if losing Jones (a player past his sell-by-date) is such a massive loss to them.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 am

Jimpy wrote:You have to think just how bad are Ospreys, if losing Jones (a player past his sell-by-date) is such a massive loss to them.

Not just him though Jimpy.
Ian Evans, Ryan Jones and Richard Hibbard have also left
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:56 pm

To be fair al the regions are weaker than they have been, Ospreys are still the favourite region to top the table but they are 8/1, the next closest are Blues and Scarlets, but they are around 30/1.

A few years ago the regions would have had much smaller odds to top the table.

The sooner the WRU and regions sort their differences the better as the regions are starting to slip back, and if the best that the Welsh can aim for is one of their teams making the playoffs, then intrest in the league will wane. Esp at a time when the new european qualification makes the League more important than ever.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Jimpy wrote:You have to think just how bad are Ospreys, if losing Jones (a player past his sell-by-date) is such a massive loss to them.

WOW, that could possibly be one of the most ignorant comments I've seen for a while, Jones is past it like POC and BOD have been past it for the last 2 years.

12 months ago Jones was regarded as single handedly the best TH on the planet, and is now regarded as a top class international TH despite the new scrum laws taking away his biggest weapon.

To be so disrispectfull just to try to wind some of the Welsh up...

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Ospreys v Cardiff........
4pm "SUNDAY" Oct 12. Yay!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:20 am

Neutralee wrote:

WOW, that could possibly be one of the most ignorant comments I've seen for a while, Jones is past it like POC and BOD have been past it for the last 2 years.

12 months ago Jones was regarded as single handedly the best TH on the planet, and is now regarded as a top class international TH despite the new scrum laws taking away his biggest weapon.

You take hypocrisy to new levels GreyGhost.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 am

Jimpy wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

Saw your name as the last commentor and got excited, thought to myslef 'Heres going to be a reasonable debate point, stuffed with facts and evidence, something I could really sink my teeth into'  Laugh 

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am

Neutralee wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

Saw your name as the last commentor and got excited, thought to myslef 'Heres going to be a reasonable debate point, stuffed with facts and evidence, something I could really sink my teeth into'  Laugh 

And you've now redefined irony Glorious Empire.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am

Jimpy wrote:
Neutralee wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Neutralee wrote:

And you've now redefined irony Glorious empire... havent you got some public toilets to clean?

Next stop, yo' mamma jokes.

I'd rather leave it there and go chat to actual rugby debators, take care mate  thumbsup 

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

PenfroPete wrote:

Not just him though Jimpy.
Ian Evans, Ryan Jones and Richard Hibbard have also left

Massive loss? He's 33 had a pretty ropey season last year and was making cameo appearences off the bench. Ryan Jones is the biggest loss imo. Effervescent as ever last season. We certainly dont have the pack anymore and we might struggle this season. Time for the understudies to Evans, Hibbard etc to step up. If its going to be a dreaded 'transistion' couple of years for the Ospreys then so be it.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:34 pm

Mmm?

“It all happened pretty quickly,” said Hammett.
When I found about it, I talked to Gats and other players and obviously the most important person was Adam himself.
I had a long discussion with him around his motivations and why he wanted to be here.
That was probably the most critical discussion out of all of them."

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down