The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robin Williams

+22
DP
Rowley
The Womble
GSC
Duty281
Ent
Crimey
Dolphin Ziggler
super_realist
The Best in the World
Bull
Stella
Hoggy_Bear
seanmichaels
westisbest
TRUSSMAN66
Azzy
CFCNick
kingraf
RinoGattuso
ONETWOFOREVER
Good Golly I'm Olly
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Robin Williams - Page 2 Empty Robin Williams

Post by Guest Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Breaking story that he's been found dead in an apparent suicide

Kinda hope its a hoax. Genuinely gutted if true

Back to top Go down

Robin Williams - Page 2 Empty Re: Robin Williams

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:25 am

There are any number of reasons to call for the sacking of Alan Brazil. The fact that he's a corpulent has-been forever boasting about the corporate do's he and his cronies attend in the name of Sports Journalism whilst managing to talk a massive amount of rubbish is probably as much reason as his ill considered opinions on suicide and depression.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:26 am

He said he had no sympathy for him and that his actions had been diabolical with the situation he had left for his family.

Can't say I disagree, the PC brigade are out in force though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:31 am

A spokeswoman expressed regret over any offence caused when Sports Breakfast presenter Alan Brazil said he was ‘really annoyed’ with the former Hollywood actor for taking his own life.

‘I believe he’s got a daughter as well, what’s she feeling like this morning?,’ he said.

‘Now she’s got to sort the arrangements out. I think it’s just shocking, I really do. I don’t have a lot of sympathy, I’m sorry.’

Hang him!

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:33 am

Ent wrote:He said he had no sympathy for him and that his actions had been diabolical with the situation he had left for his family.

Whilst I don't want Brazil sacked, what makes him an expert? I thought he was an ex Footballer, and not a very good one at that.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:34 am

There is that though.

The fact that you leave behind loved ones, who have to live the rest of their lives in sadness, missing you.
Which in turn would leave them depressed, maybe leading them to alcohol etc.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:35 am

Stella wrote:
Ent wrote:He said he had no sympathy for him and that his actions had been diabolical with the situation he had left for his family.

Whilst I don't want Brazil sacked, what makes him an expert? I thought he was an ex Footballer, and not a very good one at that.

Do you have to be an expert to realise the effect the actions could have on family and close friends? He's got kids so I guess that makes him as good a judge as anyone.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:36 am

seanmichaels wrote:Would have thought you'd be more constructive then? Have you heard what he said or did you read it in the Guardian?
I was listening to the show at the time. And unless he's sacked, it was also the last time I ever listened to the station.

It's a shame that people like Brazil, and countless 'comedians' are making headlines for such insensitive comments. It's really put a shadow over what was an incredible man and career. Jumanji alone makes Robin Williams' career worth more than any of them.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Stella wrote:

Do you have to be an expert to realise the effect the actions could have on family and close friends? He's got kids so I guess that makes him as good a judge as anyone.

I have kids, but I won't judge a dead man, who was obviously mentally ill. I thought he was on talksport to talk about sport, hence my question on him being an expert.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:38 am

TheSecondComing wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Would have thought you'd be more constructive then? Have you heard what he said or did you read it in the Guardian?
I was listening to the show at the time. And unless he's sacked, it was also the last time I ever listened to the station.

It's a shame that people like Brazil, and countless 'comedians' are making headlines for such insensitive comments. It's really put a shadow over what was an incredible man and career. Jumanji alone makes Robin Williams' career worth more than any of them.

Sorry but Jumanji was sh.t

Well, from what I saw. I lasted about 15 minutes.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:38 am

If I hear you say Jumanji was a good film one more time AzzyMahmood, I'm gonna track you down and slap you silly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:39 am

TheSecondComing wrote:

You need to be a bit less sensitive. At the end of the day there are 150,000 on a mountain in Iraq who would benefit more from your sympathy than the multi millionaire Robin Williams.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

True Sean, but there are people doing something about the refugees in Iraq. No-one has done anything about Alan Brazil.

Dave, what is it about Jumanji that you didn't like? You remind me of the hunter bloke, lethal, precise, stone-cold. I admire you.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

TheSecondComing wrote:Not sure if I'm allowed to ask people to sign a petition, but I have created one on change.org to call on Talksport to sack Alan Brazil. Would be indebted to you if you'd sign it:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/talksport-sack-alan-brazil-for-his-comments-relating-to-the-tragic-death-of-robin-williams

How dare the man have an opinion of his own. The very nerve!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:51 am

What exactly needs to be done about Alan brazil?

Nothing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm

I do find it rather pathetic that someone is trying to get someone else sacked simply on the basis that they disagree with their opinion.

Still there are some people in the world today, the eternally offended is a good name for them, who actively look to be offended, and take offence on behalf of others, so perhaps it is not too surprising.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:17 pm

He shouldn't be fired, but he should probably apologise.

He should be sacked for being pretty terrible though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:38 pm

Plus he was never in Jumanji, which is a black mark against his name.

Dave, can you not like one part of that film? Not even the supermarket craziness? Which RW films did you like?

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:46 pm

And the thread goes off on a tangent again!  picard  

I admired Williams a lot and thought he made some great family films. Hook gives me fond memories of my childhood and Mrs Doubtfire still makes me laugh today. Jumanji was entertaining when I saw it, yeh it isn't great but it's a kids film and there to entertain kids!

Personally I thought Good Morning Vietnam was his best. I still remember my brothers letting me watch it on video with them even though I was young and annoyed them.

May Robin rest peacefully
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:I do find it rather pathetic that someone is trying to get someone else sacked simply on the basis that they disagree with their opinion.

Still there are some people in the world today, the eternally offended is a good name for them, who actively look to be offended, and take offence on behalf of others, so perhaps it is not too surprising.

Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

Who wants to sign my petition to God asking him to sack the Pope? In fact, let's f***ing sack all the catholics.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:51 pm

*I would sign a petition asking for the pope to be sacked*
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:51 pm

RIP

I saw an interview with Mel Gibson discussing Robin Williams passing.

As we know Gibson is a Christian and he seemed conflicted when giving his response. Did not know what quite to say really so just stated that it was sad and he hoped Williams had gone to a nice place.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:55 pm

This thread is not veering off again. Either pay tributes to Williams or post nothing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:56 pm

I too loved Hook. Mrs Doubtfire is an all-time great film. Jumanji was good. I loved Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, and his small part in Hamlet.

He was a darn fine Teddy Roosevelt too.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

Moscow on the Hudson is a movie I remember fondly.

early 80's I think.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm

TheSecondComing wrote:Plus he was never in Jumanji, which is a black mark against his name.

Dave, can you not like one part of that film? Not even the supermarket craziness? Which RW films did you like?
The Fisher King, One Hour Photo and Good Morning Vietnam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:20 pm

One Hour Photo was immense. The character of Sy was so deep.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Thu 14 Aug 2014, 9:12 pm

I was genuinely gutted when I heard the news. I knew he'd been in rehab and had issues but never thought that he'd commit suicide. It really goes to show that no matter how much someone can light up another's life, it's not necessarily the same in their own. I can only hope that he's finally at peace.

I enjoyed most of his movies that he was in, he had a unique charisma that he bought to the roles he performed. As someone that dabbles in amateur dramatics, I could only hope to be a fraction as charismatic as him.

Growing up, I loved Jack, standard kids Robin Williams fare, but I loved it. Of his more mature offerings, I actually quite liked Bicentennial Man and Patch Adams.

Massive shame he's gone, just glad we never did get to see Mrs. Doubtfire 2.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Aug 2014, 9:51 pm

Turns out he was also suffering the early stages of Parkinson's as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 15 Aug 2014, 12:04 pm

Sad to see such a tragic end to a spectacular life. The world needs more people like him. He will be sorely missed.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:30 pm

The world doesn't need more like Robin because I imagine he was so up and down he was a tortured Man who was a nightmare to live with...Like most manic depressives...

Terrible illness...As for this Alan Brazil stuff...Why give an ignorant fool the oxygen of publicity by starting a petition..

Poor old Robin at the height of his career he'd have been worrying about it all collapsing instead of enjoying it !!

No worries now.....Just hope the kids can move on without feeling any guilt..Suicide leaves a lot of questions..

RIP....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:43 pm

trottb wrote:Sad to see such a tragic end to a spectacular life. The world needs more people like him. He will be sorely missed.
It might not need more Robin Williams', but it definitely needs less Kim Kardashians, Justin Beibers and ****s of their ilk.

Just putting it out there people

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm

Personally I wouldn't mind a few more Kim Kardashians
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm

You'd think in one last heroic act Robin might have took Bieber with him !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 2:27 pm

One of my favourite clips of him doing stand up, explicit language so if easily offended don't watch thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

Last edited by hampo171 on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 2:28 pm

Robin Williams rounds up Beiber, Kardashian, Kanye West and a whole host of "celebrities" telling them that they've be chosen to star in his latest movie, they drive to the "location" and they plunge headlong into the Grand Canyon

Washington's face is replaced with Williams' on Mount Rushmore in tribute.

The Oscars are renamed "The Robins"

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:39 pm

I was upset when I heard the news. He was truly a great man and he was there, on screen throughout my childhood up to my adult life. He will be missed by all.

Hook, Good Will Hunting. Childhood favourite and the other I came to appreciate later on in life. I think now I'll look at getting around to watching some of his other movies.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I hoped this thread would be somewhere people could leave nice messages of respect, discuss some wonderful films and comedic moments, and maybe too address some concerns and support for genuine fight people have with depression. It is disappointing to see it became an "I know better than you" fest where both sides looked immature.

I struggle with depression. I'm currently finding it very hard. I found the news a weird sort of blow, and was then extremely disappointed in some newspapers, including the Metro and the Mirror, for deciding to base their front page stories on gruesome and graphic details.

I detest this even more than I am sickened by the way some media outlets report on homicides like a gossip laden entertainment piece.

There are vulnerable people who will have seen these stories and reports and been affected. Maybe knowingly, others already weak who will have taken things on board that do their peace of mind no good at all.

The Samaritans produce quite easily found guidelines in situations such as this, ones ignored blatantly by some papers. And, I suppose to some, who cares? The weaker of us with mental strength cannot be mollycoddled. I would hope decent people don't think that way.

And that goes to ignore the way a man's death has been treated as a "good news day" for papers who can boast disturbing facts.

Personally, it sparked thoughts in my mind I can usually keep at bay. I hope others who either don't have the support network in place or just are worse off than myself could see the positives of life and fight on.

What a wonderful and brave post..

Depression is the one great illness people don't understand....With so many triggers...

Amazing how many people suffer from it.......Generally middle aged people.....

Make sure whether it's low self esteem, messy divorce, bereavement that's left you this way that YOU TALK about it to someone.

Much to be said for the phrase "Problem shared is a problem halved....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I hoped this thread would be somewhere people could leave nice messages of respect, discuss some wonderful films and comedic moments, and maybe too address some concerns and support for genuine fight people have with depression. It is disappointing to see it became an "I know better than you" fest where both sides looked immature.

I struggle with depression. I'm currently finding it very hard. I found the news a weird sort of blow, and was then extremely disappointed in some newspapers, including the Metro and the Mirror, for deciding to base their front page stories on gruesome and graphic details.

I detest this even more than I am sickened by the way some media outlets report on homicides like a gossip laden entertainment piece.

There are vulnerable people who will have seen these stories and reports and been affected. Maybe knowingly, others already weak who will have taken things on board that do their peace of mind no good at all.

The Samaritans produce quite easily found guidelines in situations such as this, ones ignored blatantly by some papers. And, I suppose to some, who cares? The weaker of us with mental strength cannot be mollycoddled. I would hope decent people don't think that way.

And that goes to ignore the way a man's death has been treated as a "good news day" for papers who can boast disturbing facts.

Personally, it sparked thoughts in my mind I can usually keep at bay. I hope others who either don't have the support network in place or just are worse off than myself could see the positives of life and fight on.

What a wonderful and brave post..

Depression is the one great illness people don't understand....With so many triggers...

Amazing how many people suffer from it.......Generally middle aged people.....

Make sure whether it's low self esteem, messy divorce, bereavement that's left you this way that YOU TALK about it to someone.

Much to be said for the phrase "Problem shared is a problem halved....

unfortunately for Dolph he talked to me and the rest of the podcast team!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 3:16 pm

"A problem shared....just makes two people miserable"...I believe that line was the clincher when it came to splitting up with a particularly whiny ex.

Winston Churchill referred to his own depression as his black dog. Seems the way to cope is to go to war.....

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

I haven't got a black dog..

Got a red one...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

There's any number of vile and tasteless jokes just waiting to be posted...I shall not be the one to start them....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2