The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players

+4
beshocked
bedfordwelsh
Neutralee
Seagultaf
8 posters

Go down

Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players Empty Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players

Post by Seagultaf Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:01 pm

The following 27 have been identified as the 27 players Gatland wants to centrally contract.

Props

Rob Evans (Scarlets), Sam Hobbs (Blues), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Blues)

Hookers

Ken Owens (Scarlets), Emyr Phillips (Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)

Second rows

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), James King (Ospreys), Macauley Cook (Blues)

Back rows

Taulupe Faletau (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Blues), Dan Baker (Ospreys)

Scrum-halves

Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets)

Fly-halves

Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Blues)

Centres

Scott Williams (Scarlets), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Cory Allen (Blues), Tyler Morgan (Dragons), Jack Dixon (Dragons)

Full-backs/Wings

Liam Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Jordan Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Dragons)

Some obvious candidates who are currently first choice or bench option for the national side and some exciting youngsters such as: Scarlets, Samson Lee and Gareth Davies, Dragons, Tyler Morgan and Hallam Amos and Ospreys, Baker and Walker.

Also some strange choices who have been tried but looked well off the pace, such as: Sam Hobbs, Ashley Beck and Tom Prydie. Also are King and Cook better prospects than Coombes? And Gareth Anscombe, we will find out when and if we see him play for the Blues if he is a Shane Howarth or a Jason Jones Hughes?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players Empty Re: Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players

Post by Neutralee Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

I think he's missed a trick here, with the way some Welsh internationals have played this year, I would think the opportunity to return to Wales should be offered.

Has Roberts and Lydiate played much, and how exactly are they playing?

Why is Jenkins on there, will he make the RWC?

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players Empty Re: Gatland wants central contracts for 27 Welsh players

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

If this came off it would be very good but for me there is one big huge mistake there and that is Anscombe, why does he get one what has he done to warrant it. As you also said why is Coombs suddenly out of favour for king or Cook neither of which have been involved as much as Commbs has.

Also why not round it up to 30 if so he could add Lewis Evans, Navidi and Tovey
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Aug 2014, 10:47 am

Why don't Wales just only pick players who play in Wales? I find it baffling that Wales haven't been using this policy.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:02 am

beshocked wrote:Why don't Wales just only pick players who play in Wales? I find it baffling that Wales haven't been using this policy.

I honestly don't think we have a big enough pool of players to allow us to ignore the likes of Roberts, JD, Lydiate, Phillips etc etc. The Regions are undoubtedly producing players and we maybe in a position to that in time but the Regions can't compete with the money the French are offering and until maybe a pilicy is rigidly enforced players will always go with the money.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

Why didn't you do it before the horses bolted?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

Christ beshocked, why didn't we do a lot of things earlier hindsight is a wonderful thing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:31 pm

Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing and so is doing the bleeding obvious!

Gatland even talked about it when he first became Wales coach but for some bizarre reason he didn't enforce the policy.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm

The reason the WRU has given for not not selecting players outside of Wales is that they feel the Regions would take advantage of the players and not offer fair contracts. Of course that depends on your definition of 'fair'. Would they offer them as much as they can get outside of Wales? Of course not...that's the whole point. Would they take the urine? Possibly.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 12 Aug 2014, 1:10 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:The reason the WRU has given for not not selecting players outside of Wales is that they feel the Regions would take advantage of the players and not offer fair contracts. Of course that depends on your definition of 'fair'. Would they offer them as much as they can get outside of Wales? Of course not...that's the whole point. Would they take the urine? Possibly.

First time I have heard this, where did you get this information? Exactly this scenario has been in play in NZ (and England) for a significant period of time, so I cannot see why the WRU should be concerned about fair contracts!

The reason why Wales do not pick only Welsh based players now is clear, too many first choice players would be unavailable to them.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm

beshocked wrote:Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing and so is doing the bleeding obvious!

Gatland even talked about it when he first became Wales coach but for some bizarre reason he didn't enforce the policy.

It was never policy, all Gatland said is that players would need to think carefully and make sure contracts are sorted as it would affect their ability to attend all Wales training sessions and games.

He also said that players would need to be 1st choice to get selected ahead of Welsh couunterparts, ok that bit hasn't been kept to but 'Gatlands Law' as people keep spurting out was never that as such and he never said he wouldn't play players outside of Wales.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 12 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm

Not selecting foreign based players could be very effective in Wales though, because representing Wales means everything to them. They sometimes look like completely different players when wearing the red jersey. It would strengthen the regions too. And obviously players who want the bigger French money are fully entitled to do so as long as they are willing to accept they'll be out of the running for test rugby. It helped the All Blacks keep a lot of the top players they really want to hold onto, even though there is still a talent drain to Europe.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm

FR,

It would definitely focus their minds as they say, if they new for absolute def they wouldn't play for Wales. Some would still go I guess as the money on is/could be significantly higher and the 'life' of a pro rugby player is shorter these days than it use to be.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

Seagultaf wrote:First time I have heard this, where did you get this information? Exactly this scenario has been in play in NZ (and England) for a significant period of time, so I cannot see why the WRU should be concerned about fair contracts!

The reason why Wales do not pick only Welsh based players now is clear, too many first choice players would be unavailable to them.

I finally managed to find something (I was thinking I was making it up for a while). But it was Gatland not the WRU.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-coach-warren-gatland-outlines-6438965

Gatland wrote:“There needs to be a separate group of people who decide on what a fair market value is for players so they aren’t taken advantage of by the regions potentially offering them, say £100,000 less because they know that player is desperate to play for Wales and doesn’t want to leave the country because he knows he won’t be selected.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Too late Turnip head.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

What does that even mean?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm

Biltong wrote:What does that even mean?

See these central contract things...  Laugh 

By Scrumpy's dealings with myself, i'm guessing it's just another insult, quite witty for him on this occasion.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down