The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs.

+2
Geordie
blackcanelion
6 posters

Go down

Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs. Empty Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs.

Post by blackcanelion Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:49 am

Wills younger, yet bigger brother (137 kg and 2.05m), has signed with Waikato in the IPC and Chiefs in the super 15 championship. Interesting to see if that means he ends up playing for NZ. At the moment he qualifies for Samoa (parents or grandparents), NZ (birth) and Australia (grew up). I think if he lives here he'll lose his eligibility for Australia (which is based on residency). Could be a situation of brother vs brother.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs. Empty Re: Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs.

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:11 am

Good news that. I wasn't on the Will Skelton bandwagon but I have to admit, I stuck one foot on when he did that offload for the final try last week. Hopefully he can perform and what an environment to learn in. SBW and Skelton smashing it up, ouch.

Back to top Go down

Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs. Empty Re: Cameron Skelton signes with Waikato and the Chiefs.

Post by Geordie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 8:39 am

And the AB's say they dont poach  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:37 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:And the AB's say they dont poach  Wink 

If he was born in NZ, doesn't this count as a counter-poach?  Smile 

He was poached and now he's being re-poached! So much poaching going on it's hard to keep it straight in my head...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:41 am

Very true Notch...never of thought of it that way!

So the intial poach was by Australia...then NZ poached him back.

And the Aussies and AB's say they dont poach  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm

I wonder if Samoa will want him in future once he's earned a few AB caps before falling back off the radar raspberry 

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 31 Jul 2014, 12:08 am

Knowsit17 wrote:I wonder if Samoa will want him in future once he's earned a few AB caps before falling back off the radar raspberry 

Here's the irony. He's already played for the Samoan under 20 side. Once he's played in NZ he wont qualify for Australia (despite growing up there unless he completed the residency criteria starting anew or plays 7's). That's because he was born ion NZ and has Samoan heritage. He currently qualifies through residency (i.e. his family moved to Australia wen he was young), this is negated when he moves overseas.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu 31 Jul 2014, 12:12 am

I think this may be pretty moot, he wasn't very good at all in the U20, sub mostly and flopped around a lot.

Fingers crossed it's just a lack of maturity and power output that will get better with age.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 31 Jul 2014, 12:49 am

I think Will had/has the same issues. The question is how much is he growing into his body and can he develop the aerobic, technical and speed factors to be useful.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 01 Aug 2014, 9:50 am

Big questions, look at Ritchie Gray, he's developed into a fine athletic figure, but has nowhere near the power output to compete at the breakdown, and I know this is such a wierd thing to say with his size and stature but he's a little lightweight for international rugby.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

Neutralee wrote:Big questions, look at Ritchie Gray, he's developed into a fine athletic figure, but has nowhere near the power output to compete at the breakdown, and I know this is such a wierd thing to say with his size and stature but he's a little lightweight for international rugby.

Agreed about Gray, for his size he isn't as powerful as he should probably be. Look at his brother johnny who is smaller in height but has a far bigger frame and is extremely powerful compared to Richie.

Out of all the Skeltons it looks as if it is the younger brother who is about 14 will be the biggest. Was pictured with some of the tahs forwards recently and was bigger than quite a few of them already.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 01 Aug 2014, 10:32 am

Majestic83 wrote:
Neutralee wrote:Big questions, look at Ritchie Gray, he's developed into a fine athletic figure, but has nowhere near the power output to compete at the breakdown, and I know this is such a wierd thing to say with his size and stature but he's a little lightweight for international rugby.

Agreed about Gray, for his size he isn't as powerful as he should probably be. Look at his brother johnny who is smaller in height but has a far bigger frame and is extremely powerful compared to Richie.

Out of all the Skeltons it looks as if it is the younger brother who is about 14 will be the biggest. Was pictured with some of the tahs forwards recently and was bigger than quite a few of them already.

Jonny does look more compact, and probably holds a higher power output, but he has benefited from superior training techniques etc, whats Ritchie now 25? meaning he was being modelled as a junior 13 years or so ago, probably by someones dad, and then playing for an old school elite coach with a cig in his gob. Jonny is what 20? meaning 6/7 years ago he was being trained by a far better quality coach etc...

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 10:39 am

Yeah richie must be about 24/25 now.
He was brought into the "elite" system at a pretty young age though so should have had the same training benefits. Think Jonny just has the more solid frame.
The two of them will make a good 2nd row pairing with one being the more solid,powerful lock and the other being the aerial athletic lock.

Not sure that will be the same for the skeltons, although compared to where will was a year ago he has come on leaps and bounds especially with his fitness. Last season he could barely last 40 mins and he was knackered, know he could manage a full 80.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

With regards to the Grays, I firmly beleive that the core development of a player is done between the age of 10 to 14 or so, and sadly in the UK this is run by eager but poor quality 'dad coaches'. So Ritchie hasn't had the same quality than Jonny did.

The Skeltons probably will never be able to play together, 1 now an Aussie int, the other in NZ and possibly looking to represent them etc.

As a big lad myself (6'5) I think taller lads develop their strength and power at a later time in their development than smaller lads, I beleive it's a levers and fibre type thing.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down