The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot

+5
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
catchweight
9 posters

Go down

Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot Empty Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot

Post by catchweight Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Macklins next opponent will be the unheralded Argentinian Jorge Sebastian Heiland. A boxer with an unremarkable record but who somehow carries a high ranking with the WBC. The fight will be an official eliminator for Cottos WBC middleweight title. Macklin might be an opponent that Cotto is interested in. Both have strong New York connections and the large Irish/Peurto Rican presence there could ensure a lucrative fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot Empty Re: Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot

Post by Derbymanc Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:34 pm

How terrible, Eddie Hearn should be blacklisted for trying to get him a title shot. What's he thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot Empty Re: Hearn promises Macklin WBC title shot

Post by Dipper Brown Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Fair play to Macklin if he can get a title shot just two fights after getting wiped out inside 3. Doesn't get any easier for him though, he's come up short every time he's faced a top level operator. All about levels as they say.

Good fight though, keeps Cotto busy until Canelo next year, fingers crossed. Plus with Matchroom's involvement, it would be on Sky not Box nation.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Assuming he beats this Argentine. What is it with all of those on Matchroom cards lately? Hearn got a time share in Buenos Aires has he?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't know what Macklin has left in the tank. Hes had some tough fights. I didn't expect him to get him to get into the world title picture again so quickly after Golovkin made mincemeat of him. I thought they were looking at a showdown with Andy Lee. Maybe Cotto has identified him as a potentially lucrative acclimatiser of a defence and he has been given a leg up before a big showdown with Alvarez or a Martinez rematch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Take a step back lads...........a promoter has said he is going to get his fighter a title shot, nothing more.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 pm

laughing 

Queue statements of 'Macklins being fed to the wolves' if it does happen.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 am

Looks like Hearn massively underestimated the demand for Macklins eliminator. Its an average fight but sold out in a matter of seconds apparently. The venue seems to to be too small. A lot of unhappy people who missed out on tiickets that had accommodation booked.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 am

As if Cotto would really fight Macklin. Hearn is just exploiting the Irish market.

Remember McCloskey vs Prescott was a WBA title eliminator. That was fed to the Irish fans and McCloskeys fight after was against DeMarcus Corley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 am

If cotto has time for a stay busy fight, prior to a likely Canelo fight Macklin could for the bill. As said above Macklin will sell in New York, is likely hbo approved, and will come stand in front of cotto and offer him a fight. Also likely to end in KO win for cotto, whetting the appetite for the next big cotto ppv. 

It's sold out already? That'll explain why I couldn't find tickets today. Electric little venue the national stadium, I'd be delighted if I had a ticket, but as I don't I'll bemoan that they put it on in a small venue.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 am

catchweight wrote:Looks like Hearn massively underestimated the demand for Macklins eliminator. Its an average fight but sold out in a matter of seconds apparently. The venue seems to to be too small. A lot of unhappy people who missed out on tiickets that had accommodation booked.

There's a decent audience for boxing in Ireland. Bernard Dunne regularly sold out the O2 in Dublin which has a capacity for boxing of around 10,000. There are also a lot of Sky subscribers so they would have seen any build-up that Sky had done.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

The venue Hearn booked only has a capacity of 1,800 I think. There was a much bigger demand for tickets than that. It sold out in a flash. Loads of people complaining that they logged in on the dot but still couldn't get their hands on any tickets.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am

Macklin has always been popular enough. The opponent is a nobody so maybe they thought the interest wasn't there. But seems to be a lot of both Irish and English missing out. Some had booked flights and hotels in advance. I wonder might he consider moving it to a bigger venue? Its still a good bit away.

Some comments from unhappy fans:

Lads so many people tried to book tickets and failed. Very disappointed. Need a bigger venue

could not get tickets either,, gutted, gutted,, gutted

you need a bigger arena! flights and hotel booked, online bang on 1pm and no tickets!

went to Connecticut for macklin and golovkin and can't even get tickets in our home town #Joke

should have had it in the O2, you've messed up big time son

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:52 am

Maybe he could arrange a swap with Warren!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 pm

I thought Smith would be a joke champ....This guy x 2...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought Smith would be a joke champ....This guy x 2...

Macklin is Euro level, Smith is barely English Level never mind British.

Macklin would muller Smith even at SMW.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 pm

He lost to his trainer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

I think Macklin could potentially be competitive against Cotto. He put in a fair showing against Martinez and was somewhat unlucky against Sturm. Obviously he was nowhere near being able to handle a monster like Golovkin but against Cotto his gameness should make a fight of it at least. I reserve the right to revise my prediction if he looks terrible against Heiland.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Left hook to the body. Stoppage. Cotto win.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:26 pm

3fingers wrote:Left hook to the body. Stoppage. Cotto win.

Could well end like that, but if you think it's going to be another 3 round demolition I think you could well be surprised.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He lost to his trainer..
That made me laugh out loud.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Between 4 and 8.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down