The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age myth dispelled

+17
dummy_half
Tennisbod45
break_in_the_fifth
sirfredperry
summerblues
Hero
Born Slippy
banbrotam
Calder106
mthierry
invisiblecoolers
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
laverfan
Jeremy_Kyle
bogbrush
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Age myth dispelled - Page 4 Empty Age myth dispelled

Post by bogbrush Tue 01 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

For some time now we've heard that the reason there are no young players pressurising the top guys is that tennis now demands so much fitness that it is beyond the under 22's.

Now we know that was wrong. In fact, there's just been no good young players and this period has been the weaker for it, with players like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. flattered in recent years by a dearth of quality coming through.

Hopefully young Kyrgios can go on from here, but in beating a fully fit, highly motivated Nadal in a match of great importance he's shown that all it takes is quality, not age.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Age myth dispelled - Page 4 Empty Re: Age myth dispelled

Post by lydian Thu 03 Jul 2014, 8:25 am

Oh he's lost the plot I agree but the question is...WHY...!?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jul 2014, 8:52 am

Who knows.

It says a lot when your opponent comes out and says he had him beat in the warm up! :shocked:

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 03 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

He must have noticed the way Murray was reacting to missed shots or poor movement in the warm up is all I can think. Either way Murray's poor body language gave his opponent confidence before the match even started so surely a lesson learnt there...Lendl would have been furious and that's the difference now he's reverting back to the naturally negative Murray again without a force like Lendl steering him. Can't see Maursemo getting him into the same mindset Lendl did...and I wonder if she realised that too watching him yesterday...it's a huge task for anyone to turn Murrays ship around now. You feel this is now Murray's first major career test...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:00 am

lydian wrote:He must have noticed the way Murray was reacting to missed shots or poor movement in the warm up is all I can think. Either way Murray's poor body language gave his opponent confidence before the match even started so surely a lesson learnt there...Lendl would have been furious and that's the difference now he's reverting back to the naturally negative Murray again without a force like Lendl steering him. Can't see Maursemo getting him into the same mindset Lendl did...and I wonder if she realised that too watching him yesterday...it's a huge task for anyone to turn Murrays ship around now. You feel this is now Murray's first major career test...

I'd say second. The first was breaking his duck and winning a major. If he continues to have a poor season, even after the long break before the second American hard court swing of the year, he should really contemplate how he wants to go forward. If he fails to make the 02 then he has to go away, get better and come back raring to go. If he does make 02 but fails spectacularly then maybe he should think about an early retirement. I might live longer if he does. (I was  heart in 2005, now I am more  broken ).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

Murray - praps alone among the big four - has these really awful matches from time to time. OK, it's disappointing, but did many REALLY believe he was going to win Wimbledon this year?
Remarkably, given the pressure, neither Henman nor Murray ever made an early exit from Wimbledon. Andy has no points to defend at the end of the season - a time he normally does well. I'm still confident he will make the top eight come the 02, although he could do with Fed and Djoko winning their semis tomorrow to deny the young guns the really big points.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4