The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens 2014-15

+11
beshocked
HongKongCherry
LeinsterFan4life
formerly known as Sam
sirtidychris
SBasco
thebandwagonsociety
lostinwales
Jimpy
yappysnap
OMc
15 posters

Go down

Saracens 2014-15 Empty Saracens 2014-15

Post by OMc Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:48 pm

Thread for the Fezboys' season in 2014-15.

Transfers (shamelessly copied from Wiki):
IN: Mike Ellery (Sevens circuit), Juan Figallo (Montpellier), Jim Hamilton (Montpellier), Kieran Longbottom (Western Force)
OUT: Nick Auterac (Bath), Steve Borthwick (retirement), Max Crumpton (Bristol), Nick Fenton-Wells (Bedford), Tom Jubb (Plymouth), Jared Saunders (Bedford), James Short (L Irish), Matt Stevens (Natal Sharks), Michael Tagicakibau (Scarlets), Joel Tomkins (Wigan RL)

Pre-season fixtures:
Fri 25 Jul - Montpellier (Yves du Manoir), Fri 15 Aug - L Scottish (Allianz Pk), Thu 21 Aug - Ospreys (HAC), Fri 29 Aug - Bedford (Goldington Rd)

Premiership fixtures:
Sat 6 Sep - Wasps (Twickenham), Fri 12 Sep - Harlequins (The Stoop), Sat 20 Sep - L Irish (Madejski), Sat 27 Sep - Sale (Allianz Pk), Fri 3 Oct - Bath (The Rec), Sat 11 Oct - Gloucester (Allianz Pk), Sat 15 Nov - Leicester (Welford Rd), Sat 22 Nov - Northampton (Allianz Pk), Sat 29 Nov - Exeter (Sandy Pk), Sat 20 Dec - L Welsh (Allianz Pk), Sat 27 Dec - Newcastle (Kingston Pk), Sat 3 Jan - L Irish (Allianz Pk), Sat 10 Jan - Gloucester (Kingsholm), Sun 15 Feb - Bath (Allianz Pk), Sat 21 Feb - Sale (AJ Bell), Sat 28 Feb - Newcastle (Allianz Pk), Sun 8 Mar - Wasps (Adams Pk), Sat 28 Mar - Harlequins (Wembley), Sat 11 Apr - Leicester (Allianz Pk), Sat 25 Apr - Northampton (Stadium MK), Sat 9 May - Exeter (Allianz Pk), Sat 16 May - L Welsh (Kassam)

Last edited by OMc on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 7:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

OMc

Back to top Go down

Saracens 2014-15 Empty Re: Saracens 2014-15

Post by yappysnap Tue 01 Jul 2014, 9:52 am

Where do Sarries change things next season?

They did it all correctly in the last, started slowly, built up the pressure and took a comfy lead over all competition in the Prem and Europe. Then managed the squad well in to the finals only to lose both.

Just a case of coming up against two better sides on the day or problems still to be dealt with? Some guys looked knackered but they'd had sufficient rest and rotation, the squad can't really get bigger either.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:24 pm

yappysnap wrote:Where do Sarries change things next season?

They did it all correctly in the last, started slowly, built up the pressure and took a comfy lead over all competition in the Prem and Europe. Then managed the squad well in to the finals only to lose both.

Just a case of coming up against two better sides on the day or problems still to be dealt with? Some guys looked knackered but they'd had sufficient rest and rotation, the squad can't really get bigger either.

I suppose that it will come down to supporters of other AP clubs to fill this thread up, since there are only three people on this forum who ever admitted to being Saracens fans, and one of those is off sulking somewhere....

Anyway, they didn't really start off slowly though, they romped away. They'd won the league by Christmas more or less. It was suggested that their coaching staff needed a bit of a shake up, some new faces perhaps. I think they'll flunk the league again this coming season, the likes of Tigers and Saints are genuine contenders, several others aren't far behind.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:41 pm

Jimpy wrote:

I suppose that it will come down to supporters of other AP clubs to fill this thread up, since there are only three people on this forum who ever admitted to being Saracens fans, and one of those is off sulking somewhere....

Anyway, they didn't really start off slowly though, they romped away. They'd won the league by Christmas more or less. It was suggested that their coaching staff needed a bit of a shake up, some new faces perhaps. I think they'll flunk the league again this coming season, the likes of Tigers and Saints are genuine contenders, several others aren't far behind.

I don't know if you're counting me as a Saracens fan (I am). I wouldn't say that we romped away until late in the season when we shook off Saints who had overtaken us. I think that a bit of a shake up in the coaching staff wouldn't go amiss, perhaps bringing in an Alex King-like figure to properly get the attack going. A big back 3 signing would be nice, but there probably isn't the money. (To think, if we hadn't relieved Saints of Splashton, we could have had George North instead!)

It would seem that the problems are partly mental, we've lost 2 finals in a row, and before that 5 semi-finals. We seem to struggle to get over the hurdle of winning competitions. The team isn't a young one though, and if some of the U20 players can be brought through then maybe with some extra youth we can cross that bridge.

Rotation-wise we suffered with the injuries to Barritt, Hodgson and Tomkins which didn't allow the backline to be rotated as much as we would want. This combined with the need to have the best team out every week at the business end of the season, plus the extended season for the Lions tour, means that players played more than they ideally would have We're not yet at the level of the big Top 14 teams, who have a home and an away squad.

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

OMc wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

I don't know if you're counting me as a Saracens fan (I am). I wouldn't say that we romped away until late in the season when we shook off Saints who had overtaken us. I think that a bit of a shake up in the coaching staff wouldn't go amiss, perhaps bringing in an Alex King-like figure to properly get the attack going. A big back 3 signing would be nice, but there probably isn't the money. (To think, if we hadn't relieved Saints of Splashton, we could have had George North instead!)

It would seem that the problems are partly mental, we've lost 2 finals in a row, and before that 5 semi-finals. We seem to struggle to get over the hurdle of winning competitions. The team isn't a young one though, and if some of the U20 players can be brought through then maybe with some extra youth we can cross that bridge.

Rotation-wise we suffered with the injuries to Barritt, Hodgson and Tomkins which didn't allow the backline to be rotated as much as we would want. This combined with the need to have the best team out every week at the business end of the season, plus the extended season for the Lions tour, means that players played more than they ideally would have We're not yet at the level of the big Top 14 teams, who have a home and an away squad.

Given the HEC scoring records etc I dont think you did too badly getting Ashton

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

lostinwales wrote:Given the HEC scoring records etc I dont think you did too badly getting Ashton

No, we didn't do too badly, but George North tackles as well as scoring tries.

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 01 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

OMc wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Okay, my memory of the early season is hazy, and Saints certainly started better - so we saw Saracens finish top of the pile by a good margin and although it pains me to say it, whenever I watched them play, they played really good rugby. Not particularly flash or anything, but good, honest to goodness, rugby. Playing for each other and the team. So maybe, the coaches aren't at too much fault. It came down to the mental toughness needed to close out those two finals, and for want of a better word, they choked.

One of your compatriots, who sadly, now very rarely visits the forum to have an apopleptic fit if someone dares question Ashton's ability as the England winger of choice, alluded that his departure from full time foaming at the mouth had something to do with the club being too player focussed and not enough club focus. I have no idea what he meant, but read into that what you will.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 01 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

OMc wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Given the HEC scoring records etc I dont think you did too badly getting Ashton

No, we didn't do too badly, but George North tackles as well as scoring tries.

What they are capable of and what they produce week on week are different things. North can tackle but it doesnt mean he always does. North at International level all the way. Club level Ashton has to be a better investment

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

The pressure at the business end of the season usually means that coaches end up rotating less as every game is an important game. But there still needs to be rotation. Take the end of the season and divide it into either 3 or 4 week sections. The aim should be too develop a strategy on how to attack each batch of games and the default shouldn't be getting scared of rotation. It is a difficult thing to do. I also think it is useless and at times demoralising to bring a player in for a one off game and expect them to peak as good as the first choice. This is why rotating into and out of the squad in 3-4 week stints gives a better squad togetherness. Injuries will always impact every team. The other part of rotation that comes to the fore is early substitutions (giving a 50-30 split of minutes) to certain players. You don't have to drop a player altogether to rest them. You just have to manage their minutes. And the starting stint in a game is more abrasive and tight than the final 20 minutes are. For my own side, you would see Healy rested over 3 games but he is coming on like a man possessed for final 20 minutes of each of those games which also means he doesn't get rusty, he is involved in training during the week, and the opposition see serious strength on the bench. He will have appeared in 3 games but will have played only 60 minutes of contact in a 21 day period out of a potential 240!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SBasco Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm

They'll make the AP final again no doubt. Hopefully they can go one further next year in the RCC and bring back some glory for the English.

SBasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 02 Jul 2014, 7:49 am

SBasco wrote:They'll make the AP final again no doubt. Hopefully they can go one further next year in the RCC and bring back some glory for the English.

They'll be top four, purely because they are now a top four side. But making the final is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed 02 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

With tompkins off and bosch away with the pumas who is the next outside centre? Would you shift barrit out there with mini faz at 12 or is Duncan Taylor slot in ?

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Wed 02 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm

sirtidychris wrote:With tompkins off and bosch away with the pumas who is the next outside centre? Would you shift barrit out there with mini faz at 12 or is Duncan Taylor slot in ?

Probably Taylor or Wyles. I would personally like to see Faz and Barritt given a go with Goode at 10. I'm not sure how ready Nick Tompkins is to have a run but he could possibly be a contender to play some minor matches (although he may be looking realistically at LV Cup).

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 03 Jul 2014, 7:22 am

Would Farrel work at 12?

He doesn't have the bulk to straighten the line, or the speed to cut through a gap. His passing is his weakest aspect too, which would make the other players lives tough, all he'd end up doing is the bulk of the tackling ala Barrett, whick from an England pov isn't a good thing for a guy we want as fit as possible.

A Goode/Farrel combo could just double the amount of kicking too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm

Told you this article would be buzzing didn't I?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Fri 04 Jul 2014, 7:34 pm

The fixtures are out and I've updated the OP. A few points to note:
1: Three London derbies in a row at the start of the season (Quins have the same).
2: Saints have moved their game with us to Milton Keynes on 25 April.
3: The Quins game on 28 March is according to the Saracens website at Wembley again, should be a good day out.
4: BT Sport aren't televising the Gloucester game on 11 October, instead opting for Tigers-Quins (fair enough), Saints-Sale and Wasps-Bath that weekend.

The Champions Cup weekends are now obvious as well:
18/25 Oct, 6/13 Dec, 17/24 Jan - Pool matches
4 Apr - Quarters
18 Apr - Semis
2 May - Final

So a compressed European competition towards the end of the season. Let's see how that works.

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 05 Jul 2014, 7:40 am

sirtidychris wrote:With tompkins off and bosch away with the pumas who is the next outside centre? Would you shift barrit out there with mini faz at 12 or is Duncan Taylor slot in ?

Tim Streather is an outside centre. Looked good in the couple of appearances he made last season. Is still young and before joining Sarries was scoring for fun at OC for Notts and being named in the Championship dream team. He was a good bit of business by Sarries last summer which they may reap the rewards for this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Sat 05 Jul 2014, 11:06 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Tim Streather is an outside centre. Looked good in the couple of appearances he made last season. Is still young and before joining Sarries was scoring for fun at OC for Notts and being named in the Championship dream team. He was a good bit of business by Sarries last summer which they may reap the rewards for this season.

Streather's the guy I was thinking of, not Tompkins, to step in.

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 08 Jul 2014, 6:58 pm

Saracens are set to complete a short-term deal for US Eagles international Thretton Palamo.

The versatile back, who can play in the centres or on the wing, is to arrive at Saracens on an initial three-month trial after impressing the club’s scouts back at a special training event in Minnestoa back in April.

Palamo made his international debut as a 19-year-old at the 2007 World Cup, before playing for Under-20s at the IRB Junior World Championship and captaining the Sevens team at the 2009 World Games.

Palamo, whose father Arona, played for Samoa, spent a season at Biarritz before he returned home to study at the University of Utah.

Having led the Utes to the Collegiate Sevens title, Palamo went on to earn a three-year American Football scholarship.

However the 25-year-old returned to rugby union as part of the US Sevens set-up this year before starting June’s Pacific Nations Cup win against Canada in Sacramento.

Palamo came to the attention of Saracens at Rugby Combine, an event held specially for players that had either been cut from NFL or missed out on the Draft to showcase their abilities.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by OMc Tue 08 Jul 2014, 6:59 pm

Well if he's our Scully then that could be exciting.

OMc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

I see Saracens have appointed a SA as Captain, who'd have thunk it eh? Saracens with a SA in charge...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm

Jimpy wrote:I see Saracens have appointed a SA as Captain, who'd have thunk it eh? Saracens with a SA in charge...

When was the last time they were captained by a South African bar a one off game?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
Jimpy wrote:I see Saracens have appointed a SA as Captain, who'd have thunk it eh? Saracens with a SA in charge...

When was the last time they were captained by a South African bar a one off game?

I think you may have missed the point somewhat...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 10 Jul 2014, 6:57 pm

Nope, I knew what you were suggesting. Broken Record
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

Well it was actually Ernst Joubert for a few games in the 2009/10 season. He was a good captain too.

Alastair Hargreaves will be a good captain in my opinion. So what if he's South African?  Jimpy you do border on xenophobia sometimes.

I could think of far worse choices than Alastair. By all means criticise aspects of Saracens but don't take a cheap shot at Alastair.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:06 am

Good to see you back Beshocked, hopefully a touch calmer and less defensive?

I think Hargreaves will be an excellent choice as captain. The biggest compliment I can pay is that he is a Leicester type of player.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

Makes sense to give the captaincy to Hargreaves. He's clearly a good leader, tough as old boots and won't miss any of the season with international commitments. Brown and Burger have international commitments as does Barritt and Joubert isn't guaranteed a starting spot anymore. Makes sense to give it to Hargreaves.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm

Ignore Jimpy he's just going on every sides threads kicking up a stir.

Will Sarries England contingent who looked tired on the tour be nicely refreshed and ready to go?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 13 Jul 2014, 9:45 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Will Sarries England contingent who looked tired on the tour be nicely refreshed and ready to go?

Quins contingent looked knackered too. Perhaps I should be worried tha tthe London air will turn me soft?

More seriously, yes I suspect that Sarries will manage the workload of those players very well and ease them back into the game. They certainly have the squad depth to do that.

I worry more about the likes of Marler, Robshaw, Care and Brown as the Quins squad has no where near the same depth.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:45 pm

Very true LT....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 14 Jul 2014, 7:44 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ignore Jimpy he's just going on every sides threads kicking up a stir.

Will Sarries England contingent who looked tired on the tour be nicely refreshed and ready to go?

Nah, just two sides.... one poor one and one that isn't a 'proper' rugby club....  Cool 

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

LondonTiger wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Will Sarries England contingent who looked tired on the tour be nicely refreshed and ready to go?

Quins contingent looked knackered too. Perhaps I should be worried tha tthe London air will turn me soft?

I worry more about the likes of Marler, Robshaw, Care and Brown as the Quins squad has no where near the same depth.

It's not the London air you need to worry about it's what they put in the water...

Yea squad depth is a concern for Quins, it's why I don't have much sympathy for Sarries, they shouldn't have suffered any sort of fatigue with the size and quality of their squad and the lack of call ups they suffered.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 Jul 2014, 8:46 am

Jimpy wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Ignore Jimpy he's just going on every sides threads kicking up a stir.

Nah, just two sides.... one poor one and one that isn't a 'proper' rugby club....  Cool 

That's the spirit jimpy, keep throwing those hooks out there, one'll catch something soon no doubt.  Very Happy 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 Jul 2014, 8:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:Good to see you back Beshocked, hopefully a touch calmer and less defensive?

I think Hargreaves will be an excellent choice as captain. The biggest compliment I can pay is that he is a Leicester type of player.

Yes I will be a touch calmer and certainly less defensive.

Londontiger I think part of the problem was that certain players were overworked like Billy who was used as a go to ball carrier again and again (making Saracens a bit too predictable vs Toulon and Saints), also playing a player like Farrell who hadn't been properly fit for over 2 months (he's struggled both mentally and physically as a result.) It was no surprise he got given a fly half lesson from Wilkinson and was no surprise he went off in the AP final.

It was poor man management by Saracens.

The talk of rotation is a bit of a smokescreen to be honest - certain players have rarely been rotated.

To be honest I think it would be good for Saracens to re-consider Goode at 10. I think if Goode has further international aspirations 10 is where he could go.He's more mature and assured than when he was first considered at 10 for Saracens.

Lack of call ups? Can't agree with that. Oh and Saracens were involved in two finals.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 14 Jul 2014, 9:52 am

beshocked wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Good to see you back Beshocked, hopefully a touch calmer and less defensive?

Yes I will be a touch calmer and certainly less defensive.

Londontiger I think part of the problem was that certain players were overworked like Billy who was used as a go to ball carrier again and again (making Saracens a bit too predictable vs Toulon and Saints), also playing a player like Farrell who hadn't been properly fit for over 2 months (he's struggled both mentally and physically as a result.) It was no surprise he got given a fly half lesson from Wilkinson and was no surprise he went off in the AP final.

It was poor man management by Saracens.

The talk of rotation is a bit of a smokescreen to be honest - certain players have rarely been rotated.

To be honest I think it would be good for Saracens to re-consider Goode at 10. I think if Goode has further international aspirations 10 is where he could go.He's more mature and assured than when he was first considered at 10 for Saracens.

Lack of call ups? Can't agree with that. Oh and Saracens were involved in two finals.

You alluded that you were dissatisfied with the way Saracens put their focus into the players, rather than the success of the club overall. Is that what you meant?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:16 am

No there are separate issues. Anyway I've said enough on the topic. I know what they must do but I doubt they will.

Better to at be positive.

Saracens have a strong squad and decent youngsters. Allianz Park is a nice stadium, the pitch is good - good location too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:32 am

beshocked wrote:No there are separate issues. Anyway I've said enough on the topic. I know what they must do but I doubt they will.

Better to at be positive.

Saracens have a strong squad and decent youngsters. Allianz Park is a nice stadium, the pitch is good - good location too.

It looks like what it is, a converted athletics stadium. But, it is better than Watford FC's ground for sure.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

True I guess but I think it works well for Saracens.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 26 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

Quick nod to the (not too distant) future; Maro Itoje and Nathan Earle both looked the real deal in the u20 WC.

I'm sure they'll be making appearances in the Jeff this year and I believe will both forfill their potential as future full cap achievers.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 26 Jul 2014, 10:58 am

Itoje played at Welford Rd at the end if last season. Needs to add a little bulk which isn't unusual given his age and position. Great rugby brain and work ethic. Should be in and around the fringes of the first team this season.

I fancy Tim Streather could be the surprise package at Sarries next season. Pace, power and he certainly knows his way to the try line. With Bosch away in the SH he'll have chances to stake a claim early in the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:43 am

Itoje is on loan to Bedford this season Sam...as is Earle, Tompkins and a few others.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:36 am

kingelderfield I hope so but I don't think the Saracens coaches will be bold enough to play them unless injuries leave them with no choice.

Saracens in my opinion need to show more faith in the youngsters. Bringing in Hamilton is a kick in the teeth for the academy 2nd rowers like Kruis and Itoje.

Other players like George and Spencer need more game time too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:48 am

I agree.....im not a fan of Hamilton anyway..all huff and puff with nowt to show.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

I do understand the Hamilton signing, clearly looking to add some experience in the wake of Borthwick, however I'll be very interested to see how he fits into the Sarries work ethic. Hamilton is first and foremost a spoiler. His biggest strengh is his ability to disrupt the opposition, at lineout, scrum and around the rucks. He specialises in getting in the way and creating niggle. The best recent example is probably the most recent Scotland vs Ireland game at Murrayfield (2013). Ireland were without POC and Hamilton just made a complete mess of their set piece. Where Hamilton is not good is when the game increases in pace and intensity, and he's unable to slow things down. The same year (2013) in the 6 Nations we played England who went for the tempo approach, and he was basically a spectator. His other weakness is indiscipline. He likes to wind-up the opposition, he's part of his game, and that in turn means he gets involved in everything, and in turn makes him prone to yellow cards.

I personally think a second row of Kruis and Hargreaves is probably going to be the best option for Sarries, but through the winter months when you have to play away in poor conditions, you may well find some value in having Hamilton around. He brings a bit of old dog to proceedings, and in stodgy tight encounters, he comes into his own.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

Funnyexiledscot I agree he could fit in if he sorts out his discipline as a player.

My take on the signing is that he's been brought in as an enforcer in the 2nd row, specifically to take on the physicality of the French sides and the top English sides.

E.g. someone to combat Lawes.

Saracens are not a big side bar the Vunipola brothers and Johnston. The rest of the pack are not large. E.g. Brits,Brown and Burger.

I felt at the latter stages of the season there was an overreliance on Billy as a ball carrier.

Backs aren't big either. E.g. Ashton,Strettle, Goode. Only one big for his position is Farrell.

Saracens' backline is not that quick either. E.g. Wigglesworth,Farrell, Barritt and Goode (fine if he was 10 but not for a 15).

The likes of Earle,Tompkins,Ransom and Spencer if picked could add more pace albeit lack the experience.

I feel that Saracens need to add more power and pace to the team.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

I agree by and large. A great work ethic and collective spirit at Sarries, but against the likes of Toulon the squad just looks small and rather underpowered (as most squad do to be fair). I suppose getting Johnston, Hamilton and the Vunipola brothers into the pack goes some way to addressing the issue, but you do lack and out and out blaster in the backline (e.g. Banahan, Tuilagi, Goneva, North etc.).

Still, you know you'll be there of thereabouts next season. Good squad depth and a strong ethos running through the squad. Having both Farrell and Hodgson as options at 10 is also a great luxury to have, and Goode at the back is just so consistent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:37 pm

Rugby Paper claims Ashton's agent has been hawking him around the T14 - but no takers as of yet.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:26 am

Ashton is probably the best club winger in England (perhaps behind Strettle),and he's not needed internationally. If that's true about the agent I think he will get a heck of a lot of interest as the season goes on. Especially as he's probably not going to be ble to get much of a pay rise atm.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

Londontiger to be fair to Ashton in recent matches he's got really poor service from the backs (the last time he got good service was vs Clermont). They need to give him the ball more.

Sounds like another poor performance against Exeter. I correctly predicted a loss (not hard).

Barritt's leadership is definitely missing. Plus that of Borthwick.

What would be your take on what's going wrong at Saracens?

Do you think they've been worked out? Do you think there are things going on behind the scenes?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

I'd say it's all stemming from the front 5. Sarries can't dominate there and this season a lot of other teams seem to have gone beast mode on their packs (. Any one that can't at least contain the opposition forwards is going to struggle even more now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down