The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go??

+18
milkyboy
Seanusarrilius
and_still
TopHat24/7
Rodney
catchweight
wheelchair1991
Strongback
hazharrison
theanimal316
Alistair
jimdig
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go?? - Page 4 Empty George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Where are we with this guy now ???....Just been in the biggest fight in the UK for years......Almost say he's a superfighter.....

But he fought a mainly negative fight... acted like an a-hole beforehand....and was comprehensively beaten with a seriously punishing knockout punch......

The rematch validates the result of the first fight....So Groves has been stopped twice in a row....

He can't go from a "Superfight participant" to a Chief Support that is an insult.....He can't go back to being a small venue fighter........The British belt is a step back and is a pointless exercise ..........and yet he needs to gain confidence by learning to win again so a quick alphabet shot is out one would think !!.....One would think as a headline act he'd have to fight someone decent...

Just glad I'm not managing this guy at the moment because I don't know..

A. How popular he is.....

B. What to do with him....and when to do it...

Groves is an interesting phenomenon.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go?? - Page 4 Empty Re: George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go??

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

It's where groves went wrong, he was a ginger tom, when he needed to be a mongoose to kill the cobra. Schoolboy error really.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go?? - Page 4 Empty Re: George Groves - How much has his stock dropped and where does he go??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 9:17 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Predictable post from the board's #1 Froch & DeGale fanboy..... Rolling Eyes

Lighten up kid..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 19 Jun 2014, 9:30 am

The biggest problem is Tunes that we were denied the opportunity to see what would have happened in the first fight and the outcome is detrimental to both fighters as nobody KNOWS what would have happened.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Froch was starting to come on a bit but I think Groves was taking a breather and would have kicked it up again.

If Frochs still got it next year, it might be nice to see a third to round of the trilogy, but not sure what it would do in this day and age if Groves lost again.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:03 am

Tbh, I'm almost thankful for the dodgy stoppage in the first. As the scorecards tell us GG was on his way to a loss anyway - so better to lose controversially and get a well paid rematch that lose it on the cards with essentially no recourse.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:29 am

Not detrimental to Froch..He's cleared up the doubt.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

It's still detrimental Trussy, noone can say that he was going to win that first bout but the general consensus is that he was being made to look a bit of a chump.

The outcome of the second has little bearing of the outcome of the first unless your a major straw grasper

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:39 pm

Sauerland have confirmed Groves will compete in London mid-end of September possibly in a title eliminator, they have earmarked Arthur Abraham as a big fight in 2015.

I reckon Groves will box the snot out of Abraham, but I do worry about the lad he seems he can be tagged cleanly and gives fighters a chance, Froch is not a concussive one punch hitter and had him out, makes me think Groves will have to box extremely clever to avoid the harder hitting Abraham.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:32 pm

Rodders, he's also tagged Groves cleanly numerous times before and didn't have him out. Maybe all the planets aligned for that one perfect punch or Froch has been juicing...I'm just speculating (anything to get Rachel to leave him!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Rodders, he's also tagged Groves cleanly numerous times before and didn't have him out. Maybe all the planets aligned for that one perfect punch or Froch has been juicing...I'm just speculating (anything to get Rachel to leave him!!)
Anyway, Froch didn't have to do anything spectacular to nullify Abraham did he and we're generally of the opinion that Groves is as good if not better a boxer than Froch, so why the concern all of a sudden?

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:28 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Predictable post from the board's #1 Froch & DeGale fanboy..... Rolling Eyes

Im also a Fanboy of Ward, just so you know Smile

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:34 am

DAVE667 wrote:Rodders, he's also tagged Groves cleanly numerous times before and didn't have him out. Maybe all the planets aligned for that one perfect punch or Froch has been juicing...I'm just speculating (anything to get Rachel to leave him!!)
Not really, Groves is a hard fighter to hit, ever since Anderson fight he has been Very careful not to get hit.. Froch worked his body well in both fights, but He was never really landing allot of clean shots until around the 7th. 8th in the first fight, and he was landing his jab quite well in the second fight.

When Groves gets hit he does not look good, I would not say glass chinned, But it most certainly is not a strong chin IMO

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 20 Jun 2014, 7:26 am

Groves is back to where he was before he fought Froch i.e. an up and coming fringe world level fighter.

For a few months Groves stock soared but now it has found its level again.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

tunes666 wrote:
Not really, Groves is a hard fighter to hit, ever since Anderson fight he has been Very careful not to get hit..  Froch worked his body well in both fights, but He was never really landing allot of clean shots until around the 7th. 8th in the first fight, and he was landing his jab quite well in the second fight.

When Groves gets hit he does not look good, I would not say glass chinned, But it most certainly is not a strong chin IMO

He landed about 2-3 jabs a round in the first four rounds of the second fight. How is that 'well'??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:43 am

Have to see what Groves returns..

When Holy decked Bowe in the 3rd fight his legs went for good..

That's the kind of right hand that leaves an impression..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

Just rewatched the fight, recorded it at the weekend as sky repeated it. Have to say Sky were shockingly biased toward Froch throughout. Within 20 seconds Watt was telling us it was a 'different Carl Froch', every flurry he threw was met with superlatives yet Groves clean punching was ignored, I lost track of the amount of shots he landed that went uncommented on. Ed Robinson wouldn't have it when Khan was saying Groves was doing the better of the two. Watt awarded the 4th to Froch when he hardly landed a shot but ate numerous clean ones. Does anyone think the same? D'you think it could be related to Groves announcing his deal with Sauerland a few days before the fight confirming Froch as very much the house fighter as Matchrooms pize asset? I'm not imagining it, it's the 3rd time I've watched the fight and Groves was definitely ahead (just) for me, but the bias toward Froch was blatant.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:35 pm

Think most would agree with you, Sugar Boy. I definitely do, anyhow. Normally I try to defend Watt as best I can because he doesn't usually rile me up with his commentary as much as he seems to do more or less everyone else, but I can't offer him any support for that showing!

My sister was at the weigh in and got talking to a couple of the guys in the Sky team and said that they all seemed to be very geared towards Froch, to the point where they didn't really seem to be impartial (I guess few of us are totally impartial on anything, but at least giving the impression that you are is part and parcel of the line of work they're in). Watt and Robinson made no effort at all to cover it up on the night, it seems.

Try not to take murmurs of media agendas too seriously, but even allowing for Watt / Sky's less than stellar reputation for calling the action in fights and commenting on it accurately, I have to say their work was so bad in this particular fight I'm having a hard time believing that they weren't doing it deliberately and trying to maybe force-feed their 'views' on the audience somewhat.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jun 2014, 8:38 am

To answer the original point not sure Groves has too much to worry about. Think as hardcore fans we sometimes lose sight of where boxing stands in the grand scheme of things. The reality is most average people or casual sports fans would struggle to name more than a very small handful of boxers, globally, let alone worldwide. The likes of Quigg, Frampton or Brook will not have come close to registering with them.

However on the back of almost blanket media coverage and 80,000 ticket sales the same is not true of Groves. Irrespective of the result, or irrespective of how big a tool Groves came across in the buildup he has name recognition, that has a value, and Sky will be more than aware of that. My money would be on a couple of confidence rebuilding wins and then the rivalry with Degale will be renewed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:06 am

But groves wont be on sky for his next fights will he? Hope im wrong as that would damage him

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:14 am

Who's to say he won't? He didn't put in an Audley-esque performance or even a Haye-esque performance and was KO'd by a highlight reel shot after more than holding his own. A couple of good performances and, if SKY have their finger on the pulse as they claim to have, his loss to Froch shouldn't prove to be a problem in promoting his fights. Let's face it, SKY have force fed us some genuine big piles of sh!t over the years and we've asked for seconds so why should they balk at showing us a genuinely decent fighter?

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

But groves isnt a matchroom fighter and as
We alll know they have an exclusive contract so im not sure if they will show groves now

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

Given Groves has been the architect of his career in recent months, there's nothing to say he can't go out and secure an independent deal with SKY or get Sauerland to arrange a one or two fight deal.

If he's good enough, SKY would be foolish not to get involved with him and if Adam Smith is half as clever as he'd likes to think, he'll be having words in ears about Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

No way SKY are in Hearn's pocket when it comes to Boxing.............

Don't forget Hearn sr provides the Darts too..........It's a close relationship..

If Hatton can't get a deal......Hardly likely the Sauerlands or a guy who's lost two straight in a row is going to get a deal without Hearn's consent.

That would go down great with Eddie !!........

SKY pay Eddie to give them Boxing and that's the ticket...........For the immediate future.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4