The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Rik Mayall

+2
westisbest
The Womble
6 posters

Go down

RIP Rik Mayall Empty RIP Rik Mayall

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jun 2014, 3:35 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

Absolutely gutted by this new. Dangerous Brothers, the Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Catflap and Bottom (essentially the same character throughout but I loved it all anyway)

Rest in Peace mate, I hope there's a busload of dusky maidens fulfilling every sordid whim waiting for you.

Back to top Go down

RIP Rik Mayall Empty Re: RIP Rik Mayall

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Jun 2014, 3:53 pm

Stunned by this news. A real shock and a massive loss, he was a comedic genius. I loved him in Blackadder as Flashheart.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 09 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

Very sad indeed.

Bottom was class.

Was very good in Blackadder, The New Statesman to.

Will be missed.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Mon 09 Jun 2014, 6:01 pm

Very sad. As slapstick violence went, The Young Ones and Bottom were the best. The very "over-the-top-ness" of it all made it all the easier to laugh at every chair being smashed over somebody's head, or petrol bomb thrown around the student house.

Flash heart was a classic Blackadder character and it is not possible to think of anybody else who could have done it better.

Drop Dead Fred was pure excess but oh my, was it funny. I still can't see a piece of white carpet even now, without giggling at the thought of dogs**t.

Rest in Peace, Rik. It's sure going to be a lot quieter around here.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:03 pm

Can't believe it, i loved him.

Gave me so many laughs. Going to miss him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

My wife's ten years younger than me and therefore blissfully (in her case) unaware of much of his work. When I informed her late night that I was going through my DVD collection for a night of "Bottom appreciation" the resulting fistfight would have done Richie and Eddie proud.

I love the "Culture" episode when they're desperate to do something in lieu of having a television

RICHIE "What about pin the tail on the donkey?"

EDDIE "We haven't got a donkey"

RICHIE "Well, pin the tail on the chicken"

EDDIE "Or a tail"

RICHIE "Pin a sausage to the chicken"

EDDIE "We haven't got a pin"

RICHIE "Sellotape a sausage to the chicken"

EDDIE "We haven't got a chicken"

RICHIE "Sellotape a sausage to the fridge"

EDDIE "We haven't got a sausage"

RICHIE "PUT A BIT OF SELLOTAPE ON THE FRIDGE!!!"

EDDIE "S'not much of a game is it"

RICHIE "What do you mean, you have to do it blindfolded"

EDDIE "But we haven't got a blindfold"

(sticks fork in Eddie's eye)

RICHIE "OK?"

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:01 am

That was a good one.

Bottom was brilliant.

Liked the one when they had to mind the shop. Eddie sat on the roof watching cricket, just getting smashed(as he always did).

The xmas one was funny.
Richie " lets go pull some crackers"

Spudgun "What, are there some birds coming round?"

All very good.
The camping episode
The gas explosion.
Trick or treat.

Saw them live onnce in Southampton.
Vey funny, even when they messed up their lines.
Great chemistry.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:11 am

Saw them in Bradford on the "Hooligan's Island tour. Laughed so hard I thought I'd pass out. The second half immediately descended into chaos once the "Have a w*nk" shouts started and they went off-script for about 20 minutes.

Sad that he and Edmondson had a difference of opinion in recent years. I'd heard about them getting the green light to do a TV version of Hooligan's Island and was really looking forward to it then Ade decided to do his shows poncing about England eating Welsh cakes and trying to say nice things about flat tasteless scones.

Best line ever for me was in "Accident" Eddie gives Richie his present, the name of a horse that's a dead cert but Richie thinks it's the name of prostitute (Madame Swish) that's going to sleep with him on his birthday. Once the confusion has been sorted out Richie is very disappointed.

EDDIE - "I've just given you a red hot tip!"

RICHIE - "I know...and there's nothing I can do about it now is there!!!"

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:57 am

DAVE667 wrote:Saw them in Bradford on the "Hooligan's Island tour. Laughed so hard I thought I'd pass out. The second half immediately descended into chaos once the "Have a w*nk" shouts started and they went off-script for about 20 minutes.

Sad that he and Edmondson had a difference of opinion in recent years. I'd heard about them getting the green light to do a TV version of Hooligan's Island and was really looking forward to it then Ade decided to do his shows poncing about England eating Welsh cakes and trying to say nice things about flat tasteless scones.

Best line ever for me was in "Accident" Eddie gives Richie his present, the name of a horse that's a dead cert but Richie thinks it's the name of prostitute (Madame Swish) that's going to sleep with him on his birthday. Once the confusion has been sorted out Richie is very disappointed.

EDDIE - "I've just given you a red hot tip!"

RICHIE - "I know...and there's nothing I can do about it now is there!!!"

That was the name of the tour.(forgotton).
Did the same thing at Southamton, going off script, someone shouting have a w*nk.

Would have love to see them do Bottom again.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:29 am

The wanted to do something with Richie ad Eddie in an Old Folk's home but Ade said that they weren't old enough yet for it to work. Rik apparently said," That's why it's called ACTING!" and it all went horribly wrong from that point.

Eeeh they were almost like the Lennon and McCartney of anarchic comedy.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:39 am

Never found him remotley funny but he was a face from the 80's that was my childhood. Growing up I remember the young ones and their collaberation with Cliff Richard that reached number 1 I believe.

RIP.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:44 am

DAVE667 wrote:My wife's ten years younger than me and therefore blissfully (in her case) unaware of much of his work. When I informed her late night that I was going through my DVD collection for a night of "Bottom appreciation" the resulting fistfight would have done Richie and Eddie proud.

I love the "Culture" episode when they're desperate to do something in lieu of having a television

RICHIE "What about pin the tail on the donkey?"

EDDIE "We haven't got a donkey"

RICHIE "Well, pin the tail on the chicken"

EDDIE "Or a tail"

RICHIE "Pin a sausage to the chicken"

EDDIE "We haven't got a pin"

RICHIE "Sellotape a sausage to the chicken"

EDDIE "We haven't got a chicken"

RICHIE "Sellotape a sausage to the fridge"

EDDIE "We haven't got a sausage"

RICHIE "PUT A BIT OF SELLOTAPE ON THE FRIDGE!!!"

EDDIE "S'not much of a game is it"

RICHIE "What do you mean, you have to do it blindfolded"

EDDIE "But we haven't got a blindfold"

(sticks fork in Eddie's eye)

RICHIE "OK?"

Yeah like I said not really ground breaking comedy but each to their own I guess. I was more of a Harry Enfield fan.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:27 am

Enfield started alongside the likes of Rik Mayall on Saturday Night Live and Friday night Live with his Loadsamoney and Stavros characters. He wasn't doing anything the the likes of Dick Emery and Kenny Everett weren't doing years before (so hardly groundbreaking stuff either) and think he originally started out doing the voices for spitting image. Wasn't a fan of the Loadsmoney character but thought Stavros was great. Remember Julian Clary starting out when he was called "The Joan Collins Fanclub" and also recall the likes of Roland Rivron as some kind of lounge act/backing band.

Shame that the mainstream guys like McIntyre as so dreadful when there are really funny guys like Simon Evans stuck in theatres in Harrogate (which even he considers to be a working class town)

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:27 am

Rivron was with another guy (dunno his name) as a crappy lounge act, usually looking in a state, fag on, black eye with a can of lager on the go, playing the bongo's. On early French n Saunders I think.

Shame about Rik Mayall. Great childhood memories of my old man letting me stay up and watch the Young ones. My favourite bit was with Alexi Sayle holding the gang hostage. Sayle says " look im not known for my patience" Rik " Hah! Your obviously not Dr Kildare then." Sayle then smashing him with the shotgun butt. Brilliant...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down