The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.

+17
Dubbelyew L Overate
Portnoy's Complaint
HammerofThunor
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctornickolas
Sin é
Mickado
ME-109
thebandwagonsociety
VinceWLB
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
Poorfour
lostinwales
Irish Londoner
rodders
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.   - Page 2 Empty Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.

Post by rodders Tue 13 May 2014, 11:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Over the last number of years I've been a strong supporter of the rabo league and the upward trend in quality that the league has produced year on year - likewise I'd usually have been quick to point out that the AP in particular is overrated by the English fans and media.

However this has been a really disappointing season for the Rabo. The decline of the Welsh regions and Treviso has really impacted the quality of the league and top 4 race. Glasgow apart the main 3 Irish teams have walked into the play offs despite having fairly mediocre seasons by their own standards.

Traditional title/Play off challengers the Ospreys and Scarlets have been decimated by the disarray in Wales and Connacht haven't lived up to expectations based on their signings.

If you compare the intensity and quality of the end of season run in for the Rabo with the AP and Top14 then I think we should be very concerned about the future of the provinces and European rugby outside England and France.

Am I being two pessimistic or are we seeing a new era emerge with European club rugby set to be dominated by the likes of Saracens and Toulon henceforth?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.   - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.

Post by Mickado Wed 14 May 2014, 11:52 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:A curious thread this one what with rodders being dystopic and Mick once again providing unsupported evidence and generally the Irish (not unusually) hijaking the thread.

I'm feeling dyspeptic about the slow, inevitable decline into soccerisation.

The Rabo (have they got a new sponsor yet?) has suffered a terrible mauling over the past two years in which they began shoulder to shoulder in a solid front and ended with internecine squabbling.

The Jeff and the T14 have both submitted themselves to proper cheating of their own rules and seemingly there's no sign of anyone trying to enforcing their own rules.

As for attendances, nobody can really tell as ST holders are always counted in the figures even if they are dead. I'd love to see actual turnstile numbers announced but that won't ever happen.

83,000 for the Sarries world club record attendance game sort of sum it all up when the ground was strangely devoid of spectators after half time.

I'm falling out of love with the pro game.

The average attendance figures are all from the Rabo website. Copied and pasted into excel, put in a table, then a pivot table with the team as the row label and the average of the attendance figure as the value. Sorted by largest to smallest, then copied and pasted in here.

I then created a second table with the venue as the row label.

The only dodgy thing in there is the double header in the MS which was 30k, that was assigned to 2 separate teams, but since there's no way of telling who turned up to support who I should probably split the 2 home teams attendances to 15k each.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.   - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro12, Aviva and Top14 and the European club game.

Post by Sin é Wed 14 May 2014, 12:00 pm

rodders wrote:That's just conjecture sin - the Ospreys, Scarlets and Treviso - all decent teams on paper...as are Connacht have been garbage.

There's plenty of paper quality - it's on the field were there's an issue... even the interpros aren't seeing the intensity of previous seasons.

Leinster v Munster is becoming a prep game for the HEC rather than a winner takes all derby.

Until the WRU gets its house in order and Edinburgh and Treviso deliver on their potential the league will decline rather than improve. This was the least competitive season for a while in terms of the play offs.

Of course it is conjecture Rods Very Happy 

Leinster v Munster becoming a prep game??? It was always treated as a prep game which hasn't taken from it as a spectacle.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 May 2014, 12:02 pm

The Rabo needs to tap into the US market. That's the only way to compete.

Ulster could definitely use the game of thrones and Titanic connection... maybe sell naming rights for ravenhill to HBO and get Liam Neeson on the commentary team.

Leinster could get U2 in to play at half time. Isn't Obama from Munster?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 14 May 2014, 12:09 pm

The Ulster Titanics v The Connaught Leprachauns, The Leinster Harps v the Munster Rebels?

Just a thought......  Whistle 

Seriously though, across the board Portnoy has a point in terms of the path that the pro game is going down, a few dominant clubs and the rest fighting for crumbs from the table.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 14 May 2014, 12:15 pm

For me one of the big handicaps for the Pro12 is the fact that it is in effect an international 'domestic' league.

Lets face it at the end of the day it all comes down to money.

One of the central components of money is attendances not just because of the money the punters hand over at the turnstiles but also because the greater the attendances the healthier and more vibrant the competition is which of course in turn makes the sponsors and TV companies happy.

However in the Pro 12 the one major component that is missing is away support.

The reality is that many Munster or Leinster fans have to travel further for a home game than Top 14 or Jeff fans have to travel for away fixtures not to mention how far they have to travel for matches outside of Ireland.

I'm always very impressed when I watch the Jeff and the Top 14 at the numbers at the grounds but in both cases the majority of clubs are packed quite tightly in one relatively small geographical area.

How you get over this I have no idea but it's hard to blame Glasgow or Dragons fans for not being able to get to Munster for matches not to mention Zebre or Treviso whereas I'll bet whenever Gloucester play Bath or Irish or when Castres play Toulon or Bordeaux there is a very healthy away support.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 14 May 2014, 12:26 pm

Maybe instead of local businesses sponsoring the team, local business should sponsor the crowd!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 May 2014, 1:12 pm

rodders wrote:The Rabo needs to tap into the US market. That's the only way to compete.

Ulster could definitely use the game of thrones and Titanic connection... maybe sell naming rights for ravenhill to HBO and get Liam Neeson on the commentary team.

Leinster could get U2 in to play at half time.  Isn't Obama from Munster?

Moneygal, it's Offaly/Tipperary. I'm sure Munster would claim him but they would get more traction with having Michael Fassbender come out on the pitch in full Magneto to lower the goalposts into position...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 May 2014, 1:16 pm

rodders wrote:Ulster could definitely use the game of thrones and Titanic connection... maybe sell naming rights for ravenhill to HBO and get Liam Neeson on the commentary team.

Of course the thing Ulster have in common with both of those is that what starts out well generally ends in tragedy. Good call.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 May 2014, 1:19 pm

Actually I've never watched game of thrones so you've spoiled the ending notch Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 May 2014, 1:20 pm

rodders wrote:Actually I've never watched game of thrones so you've spoiled the ending notch Sad

Not really man. There are plenty more beloved characters just waiting to be killed off. It's all to play for!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 May 2014, 1:26 pm

Sounds like my kind of show...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 14 May 2014, 1:29 pm

Nah Rodders Breaking Bad is your kind of show...lots of crackheads

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 May 2014, 1:36 pm

Meh, cuts too close to the bone that one....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 14 May 2014, 1:37 pm

Ah Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 14 May 2014, 1:47 pm

Mickado wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Munster support base falling is down to pure economics/marketing and the lack of development of a following outside the bandwagon years....Leinster are streets ahead for the following reasons...

1. Opened up the Season tickets to all punters from an early stage and grew a loyal following...simple...

For munster the problems are as follows.
1. During the good years we stuck to the Club model (clubs get first dibs on the tickets more importantly the HC tickets for home games, second come the MSRC and third joe public. This lead to great attendances during the good years but with a narrow enough base. Once the economic downturn came the home support fell away because they had not built a good model for increased support from the non traditional rugby base (with all the talk that its the ordinary man in Munster who follows rugby the reality is the exact opposite). This has changed but Munster lost a big opportunity where Leinster didnt.
2. I am from Cork so therefore biased but the Shiny shed in Limerick which was a great development skewed things in one direction... but.....Cork city and County has a pop of 500K, Nearly 50% of the population of Munster....now am not advocating shutting up shop in Limerick but the lack of 1st class rugby in Cork has affected the supporter base. The proposed redevelopment of Musgrave park will be a start to redevelop the support base in Cork. The need for major games in Cork is a must if they want to improve attendances.

I know Musgrave has gotten some poor opposition visiting compared with TP (Edinburgh, Dragons, Zebre, Scarlets) but the attendances have been all sub 8k, whereas Thomand attendances have been all at least 14k. Is there really the appetite for rugby in Cork?

With Cork it's a type of chicken egg situation. Did the bad teams come because we got bad attendences or did we get bad attendences because of bad teams? It's a bit of both really. Cork isn't a massive priority for Munster as it stands. We tend to get the same teams here year in year out, (Glasgow moved to TP this year a "reward" for last year's performances). There's a bit of a malaise there, "sure why would I go to see Zebre this year when theyll be there next like?".

We have played Leinster twice in Cork in ten years (one forced due to Thomond renovation), Ulster haven't been here since 2008. If they're serious about rugby in Cork they need to bring games here. Play them in Pairc Ui Chaoimh if they have to (if the renovation is ever completed/started, I imagine they would bring the odd marquee game there anyway).

There are cost factors involed to a degree. Few could afford to go to Limerick from Cork most games (or simply have other stuff on), so that comes into it as well. When you add in the fact that Munster have been pretty shoite in the Rabo at home this season and last it doesn't help either.

As for Cork itself, liek Ireland we're bandwagoners. Cork City have doubled their average crowds from last year in a couple of months on the back of some good early results and great marketing (one of the biggest problems with Munster). It's doable if they want success.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 14 May 2014, 4:40 pm

doctornickolas wrote:
wayne wrote:Can I just say when our Internationals were available P15  W11  L3  D1 without P7  W2  L5, this was for the Ospreys in the Rabo, besides the interference in the HC for the AI, the problem for us and I suspect the rest of the Welsh Regions is the finances to secure decent players when the Internationals are away, this is where our £3.5M cap is hurting us, as was illustrated by the Rabo dream team selected by reporters of the 3 Celtic Nations (why NOT Italians) and Dan Biggar selected as Player of the year by all the Captains and Ambassadors of each team in the League, individually we are as good as any other team, it's the depth that is the problem, the extra Million we will get out of the HC will help, and hopefully a reasonable settlement of the player release to Team Wales can be negotiated, we get paid aprox half back from the WRU that we pay the individual player, this is just not right, it HAS to change.  

That salary cap is self imposed though Wayne. The regional owners don't seem to be putting any funds in these days. The 4 pro clubs decided on that cap between them, partly to try and blackmail the WRU in to handing over more funds (that they do not have).
Doc, yes the salary cap is self imposed, but if you believe that £3.5M will pay for the players outside of the HC 35 and there are many of them that have played for the Ospreys this season, as well as the 6 times the WRU contribute to the Academy system that we put in, as for the NO funds available you really need to go and see what Moffett has to say about that.
What do you think of the WRU valuing Warburton at £275,000 a season, that is £5250 aprox a week, and then they value the 30 to 35 players that they call up to Welsh duties at £1.2M for AI, 6N, and STour that is 5 weeks AI, 8 weeks 6N and aprox 5 or 6 weeks for the ST. That is 32 x18 is 576 units into £1.2M, that is just over £2000 per week, or put another way if they paid the same amount to the most vaunted 6, AWJ, AJ, RP, JD, LH and SW it would be well over the amount that they pay the ENTIRE SQUAD, as I said you really need to go and either read what Moffett has put out or go listen to the man in many of the sessions he has spoken to

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2