The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens

+9
LondonTiger
beshocked
VinceWLB
GLove39
Feckless Rogue
TJ
HammerofThunor
ME-109
Rugby Fan
13 posters

Go down

Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens Empty Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 3:58 pm

We have no thread so...

Owens has ruled a penalty try for Saracens, judging that Brock James deliberately knocked the ball out of play.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens Empty Re: Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:00 pm

Crikey have Sarries being paying off the refs?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens Empty Re: Saracens - Clermont - Big call(s) by Nigel Owens

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:01 pm

The score is 14-3 to Saracens after 16 minutes. First try to Ashton, Clermont replied with a penalty, and then Owens awarded the penalty try.

Brock James is in the sin bin but Saracens aren't making it count so far.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:01 pm

Not uncommon for deliberate knock outs to be given as penalty tries if in the goal area. Didn't think Bosch was going to get to it myself but hardly a shocker.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Not uncommon for deliberate knock outs to be given as penalty tries if in the goal area. Didn't think Bosch was going to get to it myself but hardly a shocker.

That's pretty much how I saw it. I thought it might be a yellow but didn't expect the penalty try. Not sure if the law says the first must imply the second.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:11 pm

Another big call - Owens disallows a Clermont try for obstruction.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Definite penalty, definite yellow. If the Clermont player is then ruled out of the play then 3 sarries were there to touch it down. Harsh tho I thought

Harsh also at the other end - I didn't think the block worthy of a pen at all. It didn't stop a tackler making a tackle. Owens has his grumpy head on today

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

Wow very harsh decision from the ref to disallow Clermont try. Saracens living a charmed life in this tournament.

Then I see some awful man in the crowd taunting some Clermont fans, pointing in their faces and applauding after the ref disallows it.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

I think that was Beshocked.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:16 pm

Gonna be a yellow for ruck pens against Sarries soon. Owens warns them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Wow very harsh decision from the ref to disallow Clermont try. Saracens living a charmed life in this tournament.
You can see the referee's point of view in all the calls but I'd not be happy if they went against my team.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I think that was Beshocked.

laughing . Ah, our beshocked wouldn't be doing that. He's a decent chap.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I think that was Beshocked.

Laugh 

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm

That wasn't such a big call. It was off Farrell's knee and a good try.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

I'd have hoped the TMO would have spotted the forward pass to Ashton in the build up

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:29 pm

Goode makes it 24-6 to Saracens

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

GLove39 wrote:I'd have hoped the TMO would have spotted the forward pass to Ashton in the build up

The TMO can't look at anything not specifically asked about.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:34 pm

How much are they paying those refs decisions you have to wonder.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:37 pm

Second suggestion of buying officials from a celtic poster. Is it common in the Pro12 then? Explains why the Welsh are always bitching about the refs if the WRU won't stump up the bribe money.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Second suggestion of buying officials from a celtic poster. Is it common in the Pro12 then? Explains why the Welsh are always bitching about the refs if the WRU won't stump up the bribe money.

Based on how George Clancy reffed Glasgow's SF at the RDS a few years back I'd be tempted to say yes!  Wink 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm

Will Greenwood making the comment that Farrell made the "most" of the crossing and that by throwing himself at Chouly he manufactured the penalty.....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:50 pm

Barnes saying the Ashton try was a forward pass and cant see how it was a penalty try....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

Owens warned Saracens earlier so there might be a case for a yellow against them there, even though they were attacking.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

Barnes is of course a man we should all respect for his highly accurate comments and vast knowledge of the game of rugby.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

So are we now saying that Nigel Owens who was not so long ago feted as the best ref in the world on these boards is:

A ref who takes a bribe?

picard

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:So are we now saying that Nigel Owens who was not so long ago feted as the best ref in the world on these boards is:

A ref who takes a bribe?

picard

Yes, that line of thinking does seem a bit bankrupt.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

27-6 to Saracens after 54 minutes.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm

He's only the best ref in the world when the decisions go YOUR way.

Got to say there are quite a few die hard Clermont fans on the board today!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:19 pm

Record-breaking try for Ashton. Goode misses the conversion. 32-6 to Saracens

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:26 pm

That sums it up for me. Clermont looked certain to score but Saracens scrambled back and Ashton, of all people, cut them down.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

Ashton now helps make another score. This is quite an incredible result. Goode converts 39-6.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm

beshocked wrote:He's only the best ref in the world when the decisions go YOUR way.

Got to say there are quite a few die hard Clermont fans on the board today!

Well he's screwed Ireland twice late in games against NZ and most of us still admit how good he is,it's a pity he's had a poor game today and the match was never a contest due to all the 1st half calls going Saracens way.Clermot then let the heads drop (as usual for them,there's a serious fragility in that team).

In fairness it's not Saracens fault that they've got the rub of the green in the last few games,if that sort of thing was happening for Leinster I'd have some sympathy for opposition fans but I'd be delighted we were in a HC final and wouldn't be apologising for it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm

Embarrassing score now. 46-6 with Alex Goode slotting another good kick.

And that's how it ends.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm

Great result there for Sarries - good to see an English team in the final with such a dominant display. Seems there's still a bit of competition around for the French after all.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

Apparently, no side has scored over 40 in a semi-final.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 26 Apr 2014, 6:00 pm

So much for the Top 14 - two of their aristrocrat team - Toulouse and Clermont get done by 40+ points in the past few weeks. Might be loadsmoney in the Top 14 but doesn't look like there's a whole load of quality. And if Munster defy the bookies and win tomorrow.....

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 26 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

[quote="brennomac"]So much for the Top 14 - two of their aristrocrat team - Toulouse and Clermont get done by 40+ points in the past few weeks.  Might be loadsmoney in the Top 14 but doesn't look like there's a whole load of quality.  And if Munster defy the bookies and win tomorrow.....[/quote]

Yeah - wouldn't that be good!!?

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Apr 2014, 6:37 pm

Watching live it looked like Brock James deliberately knocked it out of the try area. And a girl sitting behind me at the game said straight away if that was deemed deliberate it's a penalty try!

Maybe harsh but apparently not wrong.

Obstruction looked pretty obvious in real time bit I'd like to see replays.

Also not wrong.

46-6 sort of puts into perspective any claims that the ref decided the match.

It was the tackling that decided it, and the lack of ideas of ASM

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 7:03 pm

quinsforever wrote:Watching live it looked like Brock James deliberately knocked it out of the try area. And a girl sitting behind me at the game said straight away if that was deemed deliberate it's a penalty try!

Maybe harsh but apparently not wrong.

Obstruction looked pretty obvious in real time bit I'd like to see replays.

Also not wrong.

46-6 sort of puts into perspective any claims that the ref decided the match.

It was Nigel gifting Sarries the two tries in the first half that decided it, and the lack of ideas of ASM

Very magnanimous of you.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Apr 2014, 7:33 pm

U know it's against the site rules to quote someone and completely change their quote right?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

quinsforever wrote:U know it's against the site rules to quote someone and completely change their quote right?

picard 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm

quinsforever wrote:You know it's against the site rules to quote someone and completely change their quote to get it right?
 Very Happy 

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:12 pm

i see. it must be international japester day. will go get my red nose. Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down